Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
August
13 Posts
Absloutely mobbed with Portuguese.
...and English and Germans and English and Dutch and English and Scots and English and Irish and English and Swedes and English and Spanish...

Loud, drunk and fairly disorderly would be my summary of that end of town in August.

I must be getting old. ;)
Thankyou so much for leaving us Welsh out of that description !! :rofl :rofl
Should be nice and hot there too! I am just imagining me sipping (!) a nice glass of wine, sitting in the square in the Old Town - wish I was there now!
cubsur wrote:
...and English and Germans and English and Dutch and English and Scots and English and Irish and English and Swedes and English and Spanish...

Loud, drunk and fairly disorderly would be my summary of that end of town in August.

Oh if only that were true T! No, just Portuguese inventing new and exciting ways to avoid spending any money...

:cry
Algarveaddick wrote:
cubsur wrote:

Oh if only that were true T! No, just Portuguese inventing new and exciting ways to avoid spending any money...

:cry

Is it quiet there this year ? No English, Irish, Scots or (of course) Welsh ?

Do the Portugeuse not spend ?

I've just some back from Nerja in southern Spain and despite the recession here there seemed to be plenty of Brit and quite a few German holiday makers about down in all the restarants and bars in the Balcon de Europa area every night. Lots of restarants were full by 10pm.
There are Brits about Doe, but far fewer than normal, and those that are here are on more of a budget.

In answer to your other question, no (a lot of) the Portuguese make an art out of keeping their money in their pocket. Ask any bar owner, local or immigrant...
What a shame :( I kind of thought that at least July and August would be OK, especially as its mainly apartments down that way rather than hotels I thought the bars and restaurants would be making their money.
It's quite like where I am in France - loads of people milling around but no-one spending much. With the beer at €2,40 for 25cl glass that's not surprising.

The business people are complaining as well you might imagine.
Is there a recession in France as well then ?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.