Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Hi, a lady I work with has been to the Tasia Maris hotel a couple of times , she really likes it there , she booked it through thomson gold , she is also a fussy eater only liking " English " food and she has always said how good the hotel is . I suppose that Ayia Napa has a reputation of being a clubbing place , but from the pictures it looks really nice , it certainly appeals to me and opens your eyes as I've only been to Paphos and I've always found the people , food and weather much to my liking

Looks like another great feature of the hotel is that you can make your way to the swim up bar via a lilo , or is that there for floating back to your sunbed ?? :cheers :D
It's a life saving device in case you fall off your seat after too many cocktails :cheers
Thanks for the lovely photos Cyprus :tup I went to Napa with my friend early one year before the youngsters got there and had a brilliant time :tup
Lovely photos.
Our cousin stayed in the Tasia Maris but we couldnt get booked in there so stayed at the Christofina along Nissi Avenue.
We had a fabulous holiday and loved Landra beach a little to the west of Nissi beach.
We would love to return and looking at your lovely photos has given me the push to look for September/October. :tup
Thank you for the kind comments on my photos.

Since coming to live in Cyprus I do tend to find I've got more into photography and am considering upgrading my camera.

I would love one of the DSLR models but I find they're a bit too cumbersome for my liking so have been interested to read about "mirrorless" cameras. Has anyone got any experience of them or can offer any recommendations for someone moving from a Compact point and shoot camera to an intermediate DSLR type?

This was last night at the Club Aphrodite bowling club following our swim at the pool. We popped along for a cold KEO (new labels) and to cheer on a couple of friends in their match. It all looked a bit too civilised for us so it was just as well that Mr KEO was there to help it along.

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2887/9320285975_31da87bf1c_z.jpg
2013-6-19_20.37.42 by CyprusPictures, on Flickr

This photo was from my mobile phone - it's not the best in certain light :(
Dazbo is into photography will pass him this link to see if he can help :tup
cyprus100 wrote:
Has anyone got any experience of them or can offer any recommendations for someone moving from a Compact point and shoot camera to an intermediate DSLR type?

For out and out quality and performance, you can't go wrong with a DSLR. The new mirror less cameras are pretty good, but not exactly cheap and can't quite match the overall performance of DSLR's, although they are very close. Any of the Canon or Nikon range DSLR's are good these days, even from the entry level models. Bear in mind, the camera body is only half the story, the lens for image quality is more important than the body and you'll need a lens to suit your photographic needs. It all comes down to budget really and what exactly you're after.

Darren
Thanks Darren
I really don't have much patience which is why I like my point and shoot Canon Ixus 95 IS which I currently use. I don't want to be messing about changing lenses every time I want to take a photo...
Any suggestions from that? Budget would have to be less than $500
cyprus100,

Most DSLR's have programme auto modes in the same way as compacts and bridge cameras. They are as easy or as complicated as you want them to be. I wouldn't recommend the use of the auto modes as you won't get the best from the camera, but they are there to start with until you get more adventurous. Bridge cameras with superzooms, ie 10x or 16x, whatever they do these days are often false economy. Lenses are always a compromise and will work over certain ranges, but won't be great at there extremes. Even with advanced image stabilisation, try keeping a 16x bridge camera still enough to get a sharp shot!! That's before you consider he atmospheric conditions. You can get lenses to suit most needs for a DSLR, you just need to consider what you need. What you lose in versatility, you gain in image quality. Its a question of what's most important to you. Most of the Canon, Nikon, Fuji and Panasonic bridge cameras aren't bad these days but I'd steer clear of the superzooms, they aren't really usable at long range, they just sound impressive. Pixel count isn't the most important either, it's the size of the sensor and the quality that's more important, not the number of pixels. I wouldn't like to give a model number as I won't have used them, but have played with a couple of the Fuji and Panasonics, they aren't bad but all have their pros and cons.

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.