Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
I think we all like different things and Turkey has enough tourist resorts to satisfy everyones holiday needs.
If the more adventurous of us would like to see the real Turkey there has been quiet a lot of posts pointing us in the right direction.
Myselfe I dont think it is the resort that has the appeal but more the diverse scenery and culture that is the attraction of this magnificent country.

An Icmeler person but a Turkey lover.

Gene
no offence meant,i am myself over forty so i fall into that bracket!!!it was just a simple observstion thet i have also noticed groups of older ladies(and younger ones too)and just agreeing with the point made thet 8/9 years ago the main tourist base was families and couples,however in my opinion this seems to have shifted somewhat over the last couple of years.I have been to icmeler without the other half and with a couple of friends myself so we would have beeen classed as women of a certain age on their own lol!!!!!.
We have deliberated over visiting Turkey for the past few years and finally bit the bullet and booked a fortnight in Icmeler next year,i am slightly put off the place now after reading the threads on here.We were after a holiday that wasn't "to in your face " like Marmaris so we were told icmeler was a family place but not too far away from Marmaris if you wanted to go there.
We have booked the alvaro apartments in Icmeler,fingers crossed it will be ok.
We're a family, and we love Icmeler. I wouldn't stay in Marmaris if you paid me, but to me, Icmeler is completely different. The old village, for instance, is much quieter and has some lovely bars and restaurants. We hate "in your face" resorts and wouldn't keep coming back to Icmeler time and time again if that was the case.
Have no worries riversider,Your apartment choice is spot on.

Gene
riversider dont be put off with certain posts it took me years to go to turkey and my only regret is i didnt go sooner,the people are friendly and not just in icmeler,we went to icmeler for the first time this year having went to altinkum twice before and we loved it,so much so we came back and 3 days later booked for next year,no hassle in shops or anywhere for eating,dont know what it will be like next year and 19 year old daughter has decided that she is coming with us lol,but enjoy icmeler

suzie :)
I too like riversider have booked to stay in icmeler next sept staying also at the alvaro appts,we have been to turkey 3 times before,but have always gone to gumbet,which can be very in your face,so we decided to give icmeler a try,because we thought it may be a little quiter :que
Don't get me wrong we like a laugh and some fun,but just not to much in your face!
We are also taking friends for there 1st visit to turkey,so i'm hoping we havn't choose the wrong destination!!
Maz :(
Icmeler has no hassle compared to Gumbet.
I find a polite No thank you works in Icmeler but was met with some abuse in Gumbet. :yikes
I have been to Icmeler for 2 weeks in October for the last 4years and experienced less hassle than 1 week in Gumbet!
The hassle seemed to be worse this year in Gumbet so I hope Icmeler is still hassle free this October. :sun2
thanks for the positive replies i feel much happier now lol.
We enjoy a laugh but like a relax as well so it should suit us fine.
Went to Icmeler first time this year wife and kids loved it and got me to book again for next year. The hotel was crap (Faber) but we will get another no problems. By the second week the restaurants round about were not hassling us but would speak to us making sure we were having a good time and high '5' the kids. Never seen anyone drunk or rolling about, never felt threatened just a good vibe. Roll on next July flights booked just need a hotel now. :sun2
Hi...

I got back from Icmeler last night. Been many times the first being when I was 15 and I am not 33... So have seen many changes. What I like about the resort is that you can take the in your face type bars with all the boom, boom, boom or leave them. There are plenty bar's scattered around with a more traditional vibe, just head up into the old village or around the bay past the Fantasia Hotel. It's not all about naf Michael Jackson's and man in robot suits :rofl

I got out of my stay what I wanted, had some nights in the lively bar's as my daughter loves music that hurts her ears!! and some enjoyable evenings in more relaxed surroundings...

I stayed at Kapmar which was not great, good location but you get what you pay for I suppose. For the last 4 nights I checked into the Golmar and had a great time there.

I will be back soon I hope... !!

Maybe next time I will open my eyes and look out for these "women of a certain age" as I totally missed them... :rofl I personally cannot see a problem, there are people who behave in an inappropriate manner all over and not just of a "certain age" or indeed nationallity either.
finally got around to writing my Golmar review :D

I always like to leave it a while so I can review honestly and if its not the holiday that we were hoping for, the initial disappointments have gone.

FOr those who have posted above about Icmeler, it is an ok resort for families, but, we have preferred other places we have visited in Turkey. Go with an open mind, make the holiday what you want it to be and it will be fine. It isn't an awful place, just not one we would not return to particularly.
Got to agree with you Karen about icmeler. it has become a bit like aya napia with lots of youths going out getting plastered, nowt wrong in that mind :cheers but it isn't a family place really. its heaving with young girls running about drinking too much and the waiters cheering them on. then you get the old loves who go there looking for a turkish waiter :yikes and it is embarassing to see. it is a bit like faliraki in rhodes with loads of young brits getting drunk and spewing up and waiters and barmen egging them on.

its gone bag downhill and its very unpleasant when your hassled and when you walk off the waiters say stuff about you in turkish and take the p. i did enjoy it there once but not no more. :cry i never liked the beach there it was all gravelly and grubby but it i could contend with that. not now. i don't know why the waiters are so rude but nice to your face when your splashing out dosh. i suppose they just wanna make money. my mate thinks its dead funny that they still do the michael jackson and tina turner acts. they been doing them 10 years or more and they were out of date then. :rofl a bit sad really. its okay for a hen party or stag night but even then you can get ripped off with the bill. what has happened to icmeler? it's pants now.

Altinkum is not any nicer. bit shabby. try to go back to olu or try dalyan next time. or go to greece or spain. prices are more or less the same now and flights are cheaper and quicker.
Groovybaby what do you mean?, is it like Aya Napi or is it like Falaraki or is the town Blackpool you are looking for.

Gene
groovybaby- i have been to icmeler several times, in june, july, aug, and sept, and never ever seen it like that.....i go with my family, and this year i went with a female friend, i certainly wouldnt go if i saw hen/stag people .or lots of groups of heaving girls....

hassle- never really had, not since 2005....i have always found them to be pleasant, and charming,

where abouts did you stay groovybaby? what month did you visit?

the old village is very peaceful, and there is something there for most folks- but again it depends what you like to get out of a holiday. :tup
Well we, hubby and myself have just got back (yesterday) from a fabulous 2 week stay in Icmeler our 10th year and I must have been going around with my eyes closed the whole time then!! ...dont think I saw any groups of girls getting drunk and spewing up as it was put, as for women of a certain "age" running around looking for Turkish waiters never saw evidence of that either, yes I saw women on holiday with their friends having a good time but whats wrong with that?..are we ladies not to do that now for fear of getting labeled as an "old love" there is something for everyone in Icmeler young and old! and it can be as rowdy or as quiet as you want it, we find the people there pleasent and we never receive any hassle or rudeness...it is definatly no Aya Napi or Falaraki!!! for if it was this woman of a certian age would never keep going back...with or without a hubby in tow! ...lol

Sue.
Good to hear a more positive viewpoint Turkishdelight :tup

Can you give me an idea of the temperatures when you were there please. The weather sites all seem to be reporting much cooler temps than Chelseaboy and we wondered whose was more realistic (sorry Chelseaboy, don't mean to doubt you :( )

We are going in 2 weeks, can't wait, counting the days :sun2
Hi BON VOYAGE...well I gave my view as I saw it, and we both had a wonderful time as we always do, hence we keep going back every year!! as for temps for the whole 2 weeks it was hitting 40c and over so my guess would be stick with Chelseaboys reports :sun2 and Im sure your going to have a fabulous time as did we. :cheers

Sue.
Went to Icmeler as usual in August and it seemed pretty much the same to me - am sure if folk are looking to go and get leathered, they'd find somewhere to do it.

But for us, if we wanted a quiet place, there's lots we could visit and if we wanted a livelier place, there's lots we could visit. If we'd wanted to stay out drinking and dancing til silly o'clock, we could have done that in Pleasure or Eastenders, but chose not to.

And that's what we love about Icmeler and why we keep going back - got next year's flights booked already
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.