Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
I haven't been Corinne but my husband went with his parents many years ago & it looks beautiful :tup
We're definitely hoping to do the Postojna caves this time - just hope the weather improves before we go, looks terrible at the moment!
We loved Lake Bled but it has been a few years since we have been, We stayed in an hotel over looking the Lake it was beautiful. We went and visited the church on the lake and while we where there we had a thunder storm and and electric boat had to come and rescue us as the rowing boat would not attempt it but it was part of the adventure.

Linda
Well, we are off on Saturday so please keep your fingers crossed for good weather for us!
Don't forget to go to the island and ring the bell! Also the castle museum is worth a visit, and if you are mobile, do go to the waterfalls of the Vintgar gorge which are a lovely refreshing walk in hot weather (but take good non-slip shoes!).
If the weather is good then we will be doing lots of walking - Vintgar Gorge, Savica Waterfalls and Vogel cable car are all on the list!
Well, we have been back for just over a week now and I am still missing Bled. Probably won't have time to write up my trip report before we head off to Budapest but I promise to get it done at some point. Feel free to ask questions in the meantime.
Finally - here's my review!

We spent 7 nights at Lake Bled in June 2013. Here follows an account of our trip:

The Journey

We flew out from Gatwick North Terminal to Ljubljana on an Inghams charter flight with Adria Airways. The outbound flight was on time but we had an hour’s delay on the way back. The aircraft was narrow bodied so there were only 2 seats on each side of the aisle and we managed to get exit row seats both ways. The flights were only 1hr 40 mins and we were given a small meal and drinks on both flights by the efficient cabin staff. Bled is only 30 minutes from Ljubljana airport and the transfer was quick and easy in both directions.

The Weather

The forecasts had shown quite a bit of rain in the weeks before we travelled so we were prepared for some wet weather. When we arrived, the weather took a turn for the better and we had temperatures of 30c nearly every day. It felt just as hot when we went up the Mount Vogel cable car as well – we definitely didn’t need the fleeces and waterproofs that we had packed! We were told that it isn’t usually that warm in June so we were very lucky and we certainly made the most of being able to spend all our time outdoors.
Accommodation

Hotel Astoria (http://www.hotelastoria-bled.com/default.asp?mid=en)

We had already been to Slovenia in 2008 and hadn’t actually planned to go back so soon, but the deal available for this hotel was so good that we couldn’t turn it down. I knew we were taking a bit of a gamble as the hotel had only just re-opened after a long refurbishment – but our gamble certainly paid off as we had a brilliant time there. Since the base price was so cheap, we decided to treat ourselves to a suite, which was a very good decision as we ended up with a 2 room, 2 balcony suite on the top floor with lovely views of the castle and church. They had obviously spent a lot of time and money refurbishing the rooms and we only had some minor issues with the air-con and the lack of shower screen in the bathroom (leading to a very wet floor). For us, the location of the hotel was ideal as it is near the lake, just opposite the main bus station which made day trips nice and easy. The hotel is on a fairly busy road though so I’d suggest requesting a high floor or rear facing room if you think the noise might be an issue.

In terms of the food, we had booked half board but the Inghams deal also included a daily packed lunch. Again, considering the price we paid and the 3 star rating of the hotel, we thought the food was excellent. At breakfast, it was really nice to be able to get fresh omelettes and pancakes from the chef station, along with the various other hot and cold options. At dinner, there was always a good variety of dishes to choose from, and we never went hungry – it would have been nice to have had some local dishes every night, but that’s only a minor criticism. The drinks service could also be a little slow – but the prices were pretty cheap, especially for the carafes of water. The packed lunches were also very good - we found it useful to open these up at breakfast so we could make up our sandwiches and then put any food we weren’t going to eat back on the breakfast buffet. Inghams guests were also able to order free tea and coffee between 4 and 6 in the afternoon, plus one night we were able to have dinner at the castle as a group, which was lovely – the food, service and views were excellent. The return taxi for this was only 5 euros each, which was worth paying in that heat!

We found the staff to be generally very helpful and friendly, particularly Luka on the front desk who seems to speak every European language. The free wi-fi was definitely a bonus and there is also a free computer in the lobby area behind reception. While we were there, we were lucky enough to be visited by the Slovenian President, who was there for the official opening of the hotel. Definitely a first for us! Overall, we loved this hotel and would be more than happy to go back there again.
Things to do

Tourist train – This is a good way of getting your bearings and seeing all of the lake in a short time but it’s also a fairly easy and flat walk around the lake if you fancy a stroll.

Pletna to Bled Island – this costs 12 euros per person from any point on the lake so it’s better to catch your boat from the east (town) side to take advantage of more time on the water. If you plan to row yourself to the island then go from the west side instead as it’s a shorter journey. The pletna option only gave us 30 mins on the island which we didn’t feel was enough time so I think we’d take a rowing boat next time. The church entry is an extra 3 euros each.

Vintgar Gorge – We took the 10am tourist bus direct to the gorge but there were also a couple of taxis at the bus station, offering to transfer you there for a similar price. We decided that getting the return bus 2 hrs later wouldn’t give us enough time to explore the gorge fully so decided to walk back. The walk through the gorge was lovely and surprisingly chilly and refreshing compared to the heat by the lake. Once we reached the end, we chose to take the left hand path to a nearby village but this was a bit of a waste of time as there was not much there. We retraced our steps back to the end of the gorge and then took the right hand path, which climbed steeply up through the forest and eventually led to a restaurant and tiny church with lovely views across the area. It then took us about an hour to walk back to Bled along the local roads. If we were to go back then I would walk back through the gorge to Spodnje Gorje and get the bus back to there to Bled instead.

Bled Castle – As our hotel was part of the same company as the Castle, we had dinner here one night, which gave us free entry into the Castle as well. The views were fantastic, but the exhibitions weren’t very good so I was glad that we hadn’t paid to get in. It’s quiet a steep walk up from the lake shore but you can get there by taxi or via the tourist bus to the Vintgar Gorge.

Postojna Caves & Predjama Castle – As this was our third time in the area, we were determined to fit in this trip as we had heard the Caves were well worth seeing. It was only about an hour from Bled by coach and we didn’t leave until 11am so it was a nice easy start. We were glad we had taken our packed lunches though as we wouldn’t have had time to get food there before going into the caves and you aren’t supposed to eat down there so otherwise we would have had to wait until we got out of the caves at 3pm. The caves were everything we had expected and more – we will definitely have to go back again one day. It was chilly down there but only felt really cold when we were on the cave train so you’ll probably need long trousers and a fleece/cardi and maybe a hat and scarf if you really feel the cold. Afterwards we made a short stop at Predjama Castle which was nice but I think it was a bit too hot for us to appreciate it fully.

Bled Lido – this is on the lakeside, just under the castle. We were able to get 3 days free entry via our hotel (just ask for a voucher from reception) and then chose to pay 3 euros each for sun loungers. There was loads of space to sit and various different pools to swim in, including in the lake itself, so we had a couple of very pleasant afternoons here. Would definitely go again if the weather was good enough.

Straza Toboggan & chair lift – we absolutely love toboggans and chair lifts so were really pleased that this was open when we were in Bled. It costs 8 euros for one lift/toboggan ride but only 14 euros for 3 rides. We enjoyed it so much that we ended up going on both our first and last days. There is a café at the top and also a short circular walk around the peak which gives lovely views of the surrounding area. Recommended!

Mount Vogel Cable Car – We got the local bus direct to here which took about 45 mins. The cable car was packed with tour groups on the way up, but the views from the top are definitely worth it. We were also able to take a chair lift further up the mountain for some different views. Definitely a holiday highlight.

Savica Waterfall – Both the rep and our guidebook assured us that this was only a short walk from the lake, but it turned out to be an hour’s walk uphill, followed by hundreds of steps up to the waterfall itself. We were so exhausted that we ended up getting a taxi back to Bohinj. If you are regular walkers then I’m sure you’ll have no problems but otherwise – go later in the season when the bus is running or just give it a miss!

Inghams Excursion Prices as at June 2013

- Julian Alps – 37 euros
- Bled Hills Wanderwalk – 10 euros
- Taste of Slovenia – 64 euros
- Austrian Lakes – 38 euros
- Ljubljana – 33 euros
- Postojna Caves & Predjama Castle – 58 euros
- Villages Wanderwalk – 10 euros
- Farmhouse evening – 22 euros
- Bohinj Lake & Savica Waterfall – 30 euros
- Venice – 72 euros
- Slovenian Coast & Lipica Stud Farm – 61 euros
- Quiz night – 5 euros
Nostalgia moment for me as I did most of those thirty years ago when we went to Lake Bled. Another lovely place we haven't managed to get back to yet. Stayed in the Hotel Toplice on the waterfront, wonder if it's still there. A grand hotel in the old fashion, so elegant.

Doe :sun2
Many thanks Corinne for your very informative and interesting review :tup
A good report that could make us think of going back, Thank you
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.