Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Hiya, glad you enjoyed your holiday. Did you hear anything about Hurricane Dean that is making its way across to the Caribbean? Im hoping it will have disappeared by the 27th Aug whe I fly over there.
Now that Shirley H and myself are back from Playa del Carmen the peace & quiet on this forum is shattered. When we've recovered from this awful jet lag we will be busy looking for next year's holiday. The last 2 weeks in Mexico have flown by, and a fantastic time was had by all! We all went on the fat cat trip - it was fab. About an hour's sail, then some super snorkelling around the coral reef. The rum punch then started to flow. The boom net was a hoot - life jackets for all. A short sail then to a beautiful lagoon where we were diving and jumping off the boat. The men also went horse riding and quad biking and apart from a slight mishap where one of the party (Eifion W )
felt as though he was superglued to Dobbin and couldn't get off eeh!eeh! a great time was had by all.
:oops: now that Helen T. has spilt the beans regarding my legendary ride on dobbin ! best i share the true version of events with you all.

correctly as stated we 3 men went on a horse riding trip, a complete novice was i, after jumping on to my horse and following a very brief familiarisation to the controls we set off.

after a short while i realised that i was most uncomfortable on this huge mare, but thought that it would improve after a while!

how wrong was i because after a little longer i began to ache from my waist down to the point where i almost had no feeling, and to make matters worse my horse (dobbin as he has since become known) decided to stop every so often and munch away at the grass, and the pain was so excrutiating that i could no longer pull at the reins to pull him away from his breakfast :oops: with a little luck we will have rain tommorrow so that the cricket will be called off!! and the rest of the village will be spared this tale.

when we eventually got back i had no control over my legs to lift them over dobbin's back, and i was aided by two of the ranch guys to remove my self off the horse!!

this of course was the funniest part of the day for my 2 colleagues (the respective other halfs of Shirley h. & Helen t.)

just in case you are all wondering. but i have made a full recovery ! only the embarrassment to contend with at home now :oops: :oops: :swear :bhead :offtop

however back on topic the riu tequila was fab , and as previously offered by shirley h. i will be happy to answer any questions any one may have regarding this hotel / resort.

(sorry no equestrian conversations will be entered in to.) :wave

Eifion.
glad you enjoyed the Tequila, we were there in May and enjoyed every minute, please put a review in, we cannot wait to go back!!
Hi Westmoormrg. Already posted my review.
Glad you enjoyed the Tequilla - we stayed there many years ago, not long after it opened and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.
sounds like you had a great time :lol: What is PDc itself like? I've always fancied going there.
Hi Fiona.
With regards to Playa del Carmen- to be honest we didn't get a good look around there as it was always too hot in the town. We did visit 5th Avenue one evening and were quite impressed. There were a variety of bars varying from English to Reggae and loads in between.
We went shopping there early one morning but after half an hour got the taxi back to the hotel as it was far too hot for comfort. We bought all our souvenirs in two shops :lol:
I'm sure if the weather would have been more bearable we'd have enjoyed spending more time in the various "avenues". I imagine that there were loads of shops and restaurants that we didn't see.
Hi Fiona!I agree with Shirley. There were loads of sides streets off 5th Avenue and the main street itself was endless. A little bit of hassle from owners of the smaller shops, but a polite no was sufficient. Loads of bars & nighrclubs and a variety of restaurants serving pizzas to lobsters. 45 minutes away on a cheap ferry is the beautiful island of Cozumel where there is some fantastic snorkelling. This was our second visit and the only thing that puts me off going back is the long flight. My OH suffers with bronchitis and the long trip is a bit of a struggle. Saying that, the outward trip was nine and a half hours, and the return only eight and a half, which was great news as it's usually around 10 & a quarter.
thanks for the info. I was thinking I would like to try a smaller hotel and not got go AI so its helpful to know there is plenty of choice for where to eat :D
Just had my pics back from our holiday at the Tequila - Fab! My nephew's put them on a dvd with accompanying Mexican music. It's fantastic - I could easily have danced around my living room.(sad eh!) I've decided that in the cold depths of winter I'm going to have a Tequila night, and watch this dvd time and again. It can't fail to cheer me up. We've already booked Crete for next year, - so what do we do now? Better start thinking about 09. :oops:
post them on here so we can all reminisce about PDC and the Tequila
HI, I posted some of my photos a couple of hours ago but can't seem to find them in the photo album. Do they generally take some time to appear? Thanks
Hi Shirley

Your pics are currently in the upload album HERE and will be moved by Allmen when he's next online :wink:

Pippy :D
Thanks for that Pippy. I will be patient.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.