Spain - Costa Brava Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Brava.
The rail line runs right along the front inbetween the town and the beach. Trains run regularly to Barcelona and you get off at the below ground station at the Placa de catalunya. The open top buses run from the centre of the Placa and tickets are bought from a booth. IIRC day tickets were 17 euros each when we did it last year. There are 3 or 4 routes and you can hop between them where they cross.
thats right we went in august this year, its soo easy, looking to the sea the train station in santa susanna is to the right at the end of the promenade, there is a old looking turret building that is the ticket house,, its was 6 euros return each to barcelona,,, it was one journey on plesant airconditioned train. my kids inform me it was about 17 stops and each stop is announced by a woman? automated , telling you where you are,,,,,,,, it is the "place de la catalunya "you get off, (dont be confused with "badalona" and its right under the main tourist bus part,,, and the top of La Ramblas,,,
be ware, when you buy your ticket you have to put it thru a red box to cancell your ticket??? before you get on the train, i think its something to do with free riders,, we didnt and couldnt get out of barcelona station thru the automated barriers, but we went to a guard and they let you thru, think it must be a regular thing......whe you pop your head out of theunderground you will see fountains on a square, there are the busses,,,,,,going back is a bit of a confusion as the train back is not to santa susanna but blanes (or another station beginnig with "m" that ill look up,,,,
any more questions then ask away, WEnt to Tossa too for the day that was good very quaint
I would like to thank you both for your prompt replies. We have been told Tossa is well worth a visit. Can you go by boat? Is it possible to go in the evening or is it too far? Here I go again with the questions but any info on visits will be good.

Thanks again

Derek
Tossa is really nice, bit like a cornish village to me, and a little street down to a cove tht reminded me of Clovelly!!!
Its in the opposite direction of barcelona and yes it can be reached by the ferry that comes right onto the beach in Santa Susanna,, its about 17 euros each return, bit pricey for me,, and takes about an hour, the last boat back from Tossa was about 5 tho,,,,,,or get a train and 2 busses to tossa which sounded a right nightmare but was very simple to do,, you need a combined ticket from the train station again. this was 5 euros return, this takes you to Blanes, you get off here, its only a stop after Malgrat, get off the train and right outside the station is a bus to Lloret. it stops at a small station that has about 6 berths, each bus goes to jut one destination, so no getting confused about when or where you get off!!, so you need another ticket this time form the bus depot, 1.20 euros return. and get on the Tossa bus, after about 30\mins of beautiful scenery you are there,,,,,,,,,,,, when coming back to lloret remember to get the train with a picture of a train AND blanes on it,,,, easy peasy.enjoy.
sorry if ive made it sound a bit detailed but if youre like me i like to be prepeared!!
hilda
Thanks Hilda

I will print all the info & take it with me, memory not too good now!

Derek :thanks
Hi Smee,

apologies for using your thread, but I have a similar question. We will be in Santa Susanna during Oct Half term and I would like to take my son on a tour of Barcelona from Santa Susanna. My problem is that he has a mobility problem due to a progressive illness and for distance he uses a wheelchair. I think the DIY option is out for us, so can anyone tell me the approx cost of buying an inclusive tour from Santa Susanna? Also does anyone know if it will be a problem taking his wheelchair with us?

thanks in advance for the info
Jules :)
right i remember the tour rep saying they did a couple of trips from the hotel, a tour one where you saw everything, including the footy stadium, a big tour round that if i remember,and a free day one,which gave you about 5 hours around barcelona, including seeing the fountains at night, they were about 25 euros each for these trips??,the tourist busses round barcelona were open topped and you could buy a ticket, and get on, they did different circuits of the city ,( you decide which tour you want ) and youcould get off at certain places, have a look round, get on another one to carry on your tour a bit later, brill idea i thought,,,,,,,, i also noticed there were a lot of places with ramps and stairlifts down to lower floors for shops, which i thought were for prams but hubby said no wheelchairs, very disabled friendly i thought.
are you going thru a tour rep on this hol or is it a DIY holiday??
i cant see any trouble taking a wheelchair on these hotel tour busses??
hope this gives you an idea?
hilda
ps why dont you ask this question on the general forum as there must be a few people that can help with this question??
Hi Hilda,

thanks so much for the information, 25 Euros seems pretty reasonable I think. I also think I would prefer staying with the Tour bus as getting on and off city tour buses would be a real hassle with a wheelchair. We are going DIY and have already booked a taxi to pick us up at the airport as this worked very well for us last year.

I'm not sure about posting this on the General Forum as the Mods don't really like double posting....unless a kindly Mod could transfer this over for me? :)
thanks again
Julie
that was each tho>>> but if it saves you hassle and mither and it is just a matter of on the bus , off the bus then go with that,,,,
good luck and enjoy it,,,
Putting your train ticket in the red box validates it .
Thanks again Hilda, and don't worry I did realise that you meant 25 Euros each. :)
Jules
yes ratistuta. it does but id have thought buying the blooming thing validated it?? very confusing, but it stopped you from going where you hadnt paid to go??
jules it could have been cheaper but i know it was too pricey for us, worked out about £50 for 4 of us i think>>??? wish id got more precise info for you!!
We are going to Santa Susanna in May and we hope to visit Barcelona by train. Can anyone advise whether we go to the terminus or get off earlier please?
We have been to Barcelona once before but on a coach tour so we want to visit as many places as possible. I have looked at the website for the Tourist Bus as we hope to go on that.
Does anyone know of an address where I can send for info and maps please?
Thanks for any help you can give
Sue
Hi Sue. Get the train at Santa susana, get ofF at LA RAMBAS, we made that our point of return too, we found it was the best place to get to all the main tourist points, and you should not get lost on return too Santa Susana,, I sugest you google RENFE Barcelona which is the Train company that run the line,,, hope this helps you .... Snowey.....
Hi lincolnsue,
My partner and i are going to Santa Sussana in May too and was trying to research the very same last night. The resort is serviced by the Metro from Santa Sussana to Barcelona, the map of which can be found on http://www.fgc.es. English language link is to the bottom right corner. I think the station to alight is Catalunya as this seems pretty central.
When are you going and where are you staying? We're at the H Top Sussana and are there for the May bank holiday. We too are looking to visit Barcelona for the day.
Havn't a lot of info re Barcelona but are still researching but hope this has been of some help.
Eddy
Hi Eddy
We are going to the Aqua Montagut hotel on May 9th and on the 16th we are moving on to Lloret for a week to The Augusta Club Hotel, where we have stayed once before.
Last night I found quite a lot of info on Barcelona on the web but I was hoping for an address to get maps etc, which I have done previously in Majorca, Benidorm and Ibiza.
Thanks for your help and to Snowey also.
Sue
Ps I can recommend a trip to Monserrat, up in the mountains too.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.