General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Me too,wouldn't fancy going through scanner that was being monitored by someone I could see but if the person monitoring it is in another room or behind a screen then I think it would be okay.
Don't mind but there may be health implications for frequent travellers depending on what type of 'radiation) is used.
Apparently the scanner trials at a Manchester show they cut down on the time it takes to get passengers through to air side.
As long as I am not held responsible for any physical or psychological trauma to the person who has to view my body I don't mind :rofl
I've already been through one. Didn't bother me. :)
Word has it that these scanners would not have detected what happened (or could have happened) on Christmas Day. Besides, those intend to do harm will find something else.

The solution - perhaps - should lie in profiling, just as it happens in Israel.

Mark :)
Scanners are no better than the people operating them - if they cut corners then the money is wasted and the queues are literally a waste of time.
Not a problem,quite happy to use one.Great reply Kiltman. :rofl
to be honest- it would be far safer if the scanning was done AFTER the shops and just before boarding.
Have they got the scanners at Manchester now
If there had been one in operation last week at Gatwick Airport I think the staff would have had a real laugh when they saw the large spare tyre around my middle from overeating over the Christmas holiday. :cry
Seriously though, I haven't any objection if they are operated correctly. I can't say I would be at all embarrased.
Nothing to hide but as already been said the person operating them might be left traumatised after screening me. :rofl

Garry
I have no problems at all with them. :)
There's a lot of misinformation out in the press at the moment. We had a discussion on here somewhere about 2 month ago, can't remember where it is now. They're nothing to worry about. They've actually been around for quite a while technology wise but have only been making the headlines over the last few months, and since the problems on 25th December. The reason they aren't already in use is legal reasons rather than technological. I'd walk through one tomorrow. If you've nothing to hide, there's no need to worry. They're a little more intrusive than metal detectors, but certainly less intrusive than a manual body search, and far quicker. Having down the training for manual body searches, I'd much prefer standing in a machine for up to 7 seconds than having a strangers hands prod and poke me in areas I'd rather they didn't. I can't say I'd actualy like to do it either and it's amazing what can be concealed and very difficult to detect without going down the line of strip searches. The body scanners have the ability to show everthing. However, the ones for security use have a fixed power setting (low) so the operative can only see things of interest and can't adjust them to show anything they don't need to, ie only concealed weapons or potantial threats and not parts of bodies. They can show the remnance of cosmitic survey though for example. The screeners are in sealed rooms with no way of recording images. This way, everything is done anonymously with no embarassment to anyone. If this means greater aviation security, I'm all for it (I'll be going through one in 8 weeks time).

I wouldn't say there's any one method to detect threats to aviation. I think a combined approach is what is needed and is what is happening. Advance Passenger Information to show any potential threats, current airport security procedures boosted by body scanners and profiling. Profiling has it's uses but also it's limitations. No method is 100% effective but a combination of methods will get close to being that.

Darren
On the point of being traumatised, my wife had searched a rather large lady and then asked her if she had a money belt on, she replied " oh no, thats just a layer of fat!!" so removing the general pat-down (or skin shredding if you meet my wife) in favour of a scanner will take away what must be the delight of searching obese people or very smelly people.

As Mark said, it won't completely solve the problem, but its a decent deterrent, improving profiling and intelligence alongside current checks would help, i found in Israel it was more of an interrogation when i exited the country, but hey , they have their reasons.

Strangely it seems most passengers interviewed on tv feel ok about it , and those posting on this thread seem the same. perhaps we all just want to get on with it and get on holiday? Experts seem to think profiling is best , but how do we find the huge number of psychological profilers we would need? how long will it take to train them? how much will it cost? would these type of people want to work unsociable hours?

Fiona, when i went through Vienna airport last year they did the scanning at the departure gate which went very smoothly and quickly , its a good idea because more "intense" and intelligent searching could be done at gates with high risk flights, this would make it easier to profile passengers.
Not sure if its been discussed before and without wishing too alarm anyone to much but there was TV talk over the weekend of the next generation of those who wish to harm us in the air having surgery to implant devices within their body.

Regards, Chris
  • Edited by TFS1 2010-01-04 22:17:39
I don't have a problem with scanners.

A couple of years back we went through a strange 'scanner'. It was at the CN Tower in Toronto. You stepped into the machine that was about the size of a telephone box with just two sides. You lifted your arms away from the body. Then a series of high pressure jets of air were directed at you starting at the top and working down, there were 3 or 4 separate 'puffs' from each side. A security guard watched this happen. Every so often a person would be patted down. Presumably the device was to move your clothes about and reveal hidden objects.
Hi De Hi wrote:
Presumably the device was to move your clothes about and reveal hidden objects

It may have been a drugs 'sniffer' as well.

Darren
I dont have a problem what so ever with being scanned.

bejay.

Manchester Airport Terminal 2 has had one in operation since the middle of October 2009.

http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manweb.nsf/Content/xraytrial

Angie.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.