General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
we booked our May holiday at new year weekend and will book september in june/july, leaving it too late reduces choice
and as flights and hotels get booked prices often rise nearer departure date

If you dont mind what type of holiday and where to there are some fantastic value holidays to be had on last minute deals [but you pay's yer money and takes yer chance]
This is a tricky one shasha. If you want to book a flight and accomodation separately and are looking at a budget airline, it's best to book once the flights are released as the price increases as the time goes on.

If however you want a package it will depend on a few things. If you're not fussy about your destination or accomodation, no doubt you'll find something reasonable priced by leaving it late, especially if you're not tied to school holidays. However, if you have somewhere/something specific in mind you'd be best booking as soon as you feel comfortable with the price because obviously the longer you leave it the less choice will be available.

As you've noticed yourself, package holidays go up and down all the time so there is no particular time when they're cheaper. the best thing to do is to keep an eye on the prices for a while and then grab it when you think the price suits you.
Be aware that some companies, such as Thomas Cook, do not include the cost of transfers in their late bookings, ie within 10 weeks of departure so what looks like a cheaper deal could be the same or more once you add the transfers on.

luci :wave
If you are booking flights separately I would suggest you sign up to email alerts from EasyJet, Ryanair, Monarch, Jet2 etc so you get advance notification of promotions, sales etc.
If you are DIYing & use easyjet etc, the earlier you book the flights the cheaper. With tour operators there seems to be no set rules, you seem to get lucky of unlucky.

Last year I tried to book a cheap week to Greece three weeks before travel, which was admittedly 1st week in Aug, Zante and Corfu were the cheapies that kept coming up on Thomsons site.

They started at £550 per person for a really basic studios (naffish reviews, no breakfast, no transfers) - £2200 for two studios :yikes I thought that was really expensive - so didn't end up booking Greece.

If you know when and where you want to go, best book as soon as you see an acceptable deal, waiting seriously limits your choice & dosen't necessarily get you a better deal unless you are really lucky.

Doe :sun2
Iv always found it cheaper to book months in advance.- and have done it this way for as long as I can remember- as soon as our main holiday is over- I book again- within days of arriving home (Sometimes if the price is right! - before Iv even been away- like last year ,14 months in advance!!)

Zante in Greece- booked last may 2011 (For this July 2012) £443 per person b&b 2 weeks. - fantastic reviews- etc etc... Last time I looked the price was up at £770 each!

If your not too fussed on destination//dates/airport- then you can sometimes get a cheap deal-a few weeks before.

This is only my opinion though- and Im sure some have had some great bargains- booking a few weeks before departure- unfortunately Iv never been that lucky!

belly
I'm one that always books in advance, I like to know where I am going and like all the other members have said choice gets limited as the time goes on. Don't forget that you have bank holiday in may as well. Also cheap and expensive are different compared on individuals budget so book to your budget then you won't be to bothered if it does go up or down. :cheers
Thankyou for all your comments, iv'e always booked a package holiday . . never been brave enough to book everything seperate. Not booked anything yet, but hope to do so soon. Noticed kids holidays have changed too, my little un usually has a week off end of May . . but this yr it's changed to 4th June.
It depends. Irish holidays are booked with about 5 months to go, but my Jersey trip in March was booked last week. I didn't know about airline prices so I booked as the cheaper seats where going to make sure I got the £46 price deal.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.