General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Absolutely agree re the illness thing. I keep hearing about it in Egypt as if everyone who goes there will get sick, and all the advice is about what you need to do because it will happen etc etc. Well, I have only been there twice, and it didn't happen to any of us. I just don't go to the hotels where it seems to be a common problem - there are plenty of hotels to choose from!

Also I wouldn't go to a hotel where the emphasis is on children, and where everything is geared for families with small kids (and yes, I do have children, but they are older now). I prefer a bit of peace to relax.

Like Suzie I don't believe in "strolling " uphill, so for next year I have confirmed my accommodation is on the flat, with a flat walk to town!
I always get put off by too much in the way of " childrens activities" . In that I mean the never ending extra expense type that first choice are fond of in their holiday villages .
1 - No air conditioning
2 -quiet location - into that read in the back of beyond
3- most of the entertainment is geared towards children - don't get me wrong - I have 4 grandchildren, but work with kids every day - so need adult focused activities, or just peace
The mention of Childrens clubs, and seeing lots of floating alligators or lilos in the pictures of the pool.
Done my bit with children, but my Grandaughter nearly 2 now, so I might have to be looking for childrens entertainment in the near future :yikes
M
Gotta have air conditioning!!
Location - gotta be right near the beach
Food - Ie Love spanish tapas and lots of variety so no egypt for me.
Decent booze - again egypt a no no
Lots to do - Public transport has to be good, cos I like getting around.
Near the airport for transfers so anything over an hour travelling a big no no
Gotta have decent flight times - in august bad night flight from malaga to manchester and delayed
Decent healthcare should god forbid anything happens!!
All Inclusive :really
I've tried it a few times, but never again
xx lassi
1. Temperature not hot enough
2. Pool too small
3. Over 2 hour transfer from airport
4. Too many Brits abroad :rofl
When i see childrens clubs/activities it doesn't really put me off , even though i don't have children, i look at it from the point of view that they will have plenty to do and allow everyone else to relax? early evening when getting ready for dinner i will sit on the patio/balcony and have a beer and listen to the lovely children enjoying their mini disco, i'm not sure if its the "i'm the music man" song or the beer that makes me so happy? in my mind i would like to go along and join in but it doesn't seem appropiate, perhaps its because when i was child my parents never took me abroad for a holiday so i never got to enjoy the mini disco?

The only thing that would put me off booking a certain hotel/holiday apart from the obvious (bad flight times, poor weather, extra long transfers) would be their own hotel website, nowadays we can find out so much about our holidays than ever with reviews, forums,etc so i always go to their main website so i can view all the facilities. Now if they only decide to show me about 3 pathetic pictures with 2 being the obligatory views of the foyer and a few words of description about the rooms i then start searching elsewhere. I want lots of pictures , i want to know of the different rooms they offer , i want in-depth descriptions of the dining facilities etc etc , if they can't be bothered to get a good photographer around for a day and someone to create an interesting website i assume they very little to show or offer and i will look for somewhere else that wants to sell to me!!
1 No aircon
2 Kids activities/clubs
3 British/Irish bars with karaoke and bingo
4 Turkey
Not too bothered about flight times/transfers as our holiday starts as soon as we get to the airport,agree with andy one of the first things we look at is the hotels own website
I look for different things in each holiday I book. For instance, one holiday the beach and surrounding area might be the most important factor and another may be the hotel itself and its' facilities.

What would be a complete no no is if after reading all the reviews the question of cleanliness or creepy crawlies came up, or horrible food. To be honest, I probably read too many reviews and look at too many travellers photos. In fact, I'm surprised I get anything booked at all :rofl
Size of the accommodation, dont want anything too small with only 10 or 12 rooms.
If reviews say have to get up at stupid o'clock to put out towels that definately puts me off.
Negative comments on food, although I think you have to read between the lines on this one.
Quiet & peacefull will mean the back of beyond, been their done that not too keen.
Also if it 80% other nationalities I am not interested, I like someone to speak to and who will strike up a conversation with me and for my kids to mix with.
Also if it 80% other nationalities I am not interested

ooh yes that another no no for me . I do like to be around my own if it's a hotel based holiday . I wouldnt want less than 50-60 % English .

The air conditining is another one I'd forgotten but TBH I dont look for that in a description anymore as I always assume the sort of hotel I would book in the summer would have it anyway . If it was a small hotel or B+B then I would double check .
What would put me off is:

1. Too big a hotel with loads of entertainment/kids clubs etc. I have kids but none of us like to be entertained in the hotel, we like to go out, and we like somewhere small and friendly
2. AI - never, never, never :rofl
3. Too many English people - I like to mix with other nationalites when I am on holiday
4. Reviews which state the place is dirty/full of cockroaches - there is no way I could stay somewhere filthy :yikes
5. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I like to be in a resort not miles from anywhere.
6. Bad flight times/long transfers. Too much hassle with little ones

I don't ask for much do I ;)
No high rise for me. I ideally like two/three floors in a hotel. A good mix of nationalities but more Brits than others. One of the criteria I always look for is somewhere to walk even if it's just to a few shops. We do enjoy an after dinner walk on holiday. A hotel that's not too big nor over run by children, which is a difficult one during school holidays. We prefer AI these days so good food is also top of the agenda.
Kedi Yavrusu wrote:
What would put me off is:

1. Too big a hotel with loads of entertainment/kids clubs etc. I have kids but none of us like to be entertained in the hotel, we like to go out, and we like somewhere small and friendly
2. AI - never, never, never
3. Too many English people - I like to mix with other nationalites when I am on holiday
4. Reviews which state the place is dirty/full of cockroaches - there is no way I could stay somewhere filthy
5. Somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I like to be in a resort not miles from anywhere.

Those would put me off too, Kedi - small and friendly suits me just fine - and a hotel full of Brits would be a nightmare. What's the point of going abroad if you don't want to mix with other nationalities?
Other than that - very little would bother me. I'm not the fussy type, unlike a lot of people on here, it would seem...
The company ' On The Beach'
Even though I've never had any dealings with them there have been far too many complaints on here for me to ever consider using them for anything!
Children's facilities. Been there done that.
Buffets
Shower only - no bath tubs - I like a soak.
Too many Brits - we like to meet people from other cultures.
Anywhere near a disco - I like peace and quiet at night.
We would never go to somewhere that reminded us of home. I can't stand places that advertise English Sunday roast, English Breakfast e.t.c. I choose to go to a country to sample their cultures/food e.t.c. I too at the moment like to stay away from places that advertise good location for kids, kids clubs e.t.c. Maybe in the future though we'll be looking for child friendly places, but for now we can enjoy the peace and quiet :)
i totally agree with you marlou re places advertising english breakfasts, sunday roasts and football i would give a wide berth

no air conditioning

too many brits

too many bad food reports

stoney beaches

having to get up at 5am to save sunbeds

transfers from airport longer than 1.5 hrs

places that are not very scenic, as i love to be surrounded by nice views
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.