General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
booking online
3 Posts
Yes a couple of times before when my children were younger and we needed a family room for 5 . It became clear that because of huge supplements on these family rooms it was cheaper to book 2 standard twins meaning you have to pay for 4 adults. One year my holiday was £1000 cheaper doing that. there are factors that would determine whether you save or not like the ages of your children and how many would be charged as adults anyway but if its cheaper you may be able to get interconnecting or if not adjoining rooms . No T/o would guarantee this unless you were paying a supplement but just make the request on the booking . Majority of time the hotel will see children in another room and give you rooms together anyway .Our children are older now and as teenagers they dont want to be with us anyway but we have never had family rooms since and have always for the last 7/8 holidays been given interconnecting or adjoining rooms . Only once were we given seperate rooms a little down the corridor from each other and in that instance the hotel said they would move us the next day if required.

Si .If pricing on the net with the main T/os they give you the price for a room the system tells you would suit you best . You should then have an option to change room type or something similar .First choice do it like that but Portland/thomson I believe gives you a choice of room types . In your search you may have to select the number of rooms required as 2 . just have a play around and dont accept the first price that comes up.

lyn
Like Lyn I have always played around with the adult/child allocation.

Booking an apartment I always do 3 prices, ie 4 x adults, 3 adults & 1 child, 2 adults & 2 children. For some reason it's often the middle one of these three options that comes up the cheapest.

In Sharm the year before last two twin hotel rooms were cheaper than one family room. As with Lyn we put in a request for the rooms to be next to each other, which is just a request and not quaranteed. We were delighted when not only were they next to each other but were connecting as well. :tup

A potential problem you can come across when booking online and trying to book a child of 12 to 16 into an hotel as an adult is when the screeen ask for the dates of birth for children.

You can ignore this and treat them as adults as you normally only have to give dates of birth of the lead adult, however, I have always been to wary to do this & therefore telephoned Portalnd, Eclipse etc to explain what I am trying to do & they do it for me & have also given me the (now rather small) online discount as well. Presumably they just want to make the sale.

If you do book 12 to 16's as adults on-line and wish to book an inflight meal :really you will have to pay adult meal price, as the system is seeing them as adults. If you ring & explain they will often let you book them a kids meal.

Hope this helps, Doe
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.