Spain - Costa Dorada Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Dorada.
I'm not sure but when we booked for the Caribe this year it worked out much dearer to book direct, in fact it was more expensive than a package.

The TO's must negotiate some very good prices.
thanks silverpixie, the prices are sky high for a package deal, i was hoping to book through travel republic or alpha rooms but they dont seem to offer the hotels just now.
Caits, the only time I've seen the Port Aventura hotels on Travel Republic is off season, when the T.O's don't go there, and then it was not particularly cheap.

Been to El Paso twice with Eclipse - they did have really good prices for Easter (wouldn't have the weather though) but have just seen the prices have gone up £400 for 4 since last week :(
The last time we went we stayed at the Vil.la Romana, as we had annual passes for P. Aventura, so thought it wasn't worth paying El Paso prices. It was a 10 - 15 min walk to theme park :D
Hi Caits :)

When I was there recently, I asked at reception about booking direct and the girl suggested telephoning them. Most of the reception staff have pretty good English. I haven't got a number but I would imagine it's on their website.

I went at a similar time to silverpixie and I couldn't beat the Eclipse price and believe me I tried :roll: . At one point I was considering flying to Barcelona :shock: as the flights were cheap (I had loads of airmiles) and then getting the train to Salou, but decided it was too much hassle with kids and cases. I put up quite a comprehensive review, dont know if you have seen it, it's the third one down, by Chris.

Good Luck, Doe
why stay at the expensive Caribe when other hotels nearby are so much cheaper? The Villa Romana, and Gran Regina Mar are 2 I have stayed at and are walking distance.
thanks for the replies :)
starry how did you find the villa romana compared with the el paso, do you think its worth the extra ? i was also looking at the golden port salou, does anyone know how close that is to the parks ?

thanks again :)
Hi Caits, well I would say the El Paso is a better hotel, larger pool, good selection of food etc. I think it all depends if you are planning on spending a lot of time around the hotel.

For us, we have been there 5 times now. This was a cheap extra holiday (cheapest holiday I've ever had actually doing it DIY). We wanted to be within walking distance of P. Aventura, which it was. So for us, it ticked all the boxes. We just used it as a base, as we went to the Park, beach at Cap Salou and Tarragona.

I must say though that when we went up to El Paso for a drink one evening, it was extremely busy with teenagers. Didn't particularly like the feel of the place that evening but it was whit half-term. Also, places do feel differently when you are not actually staying there.

The other two hotels either side of the Villa Romana are Sol Costa dorada and Saluris Palace. I think the S. Palace gets good reviews. :D
why stay at the expensive Caribe when other hotels nearby are so much cheaper?

Well the sandy beach pool was great for a start :lol:

The main reason was the dine around facility, it enabled us to go to the park in the late afternoon and evening without having to go back to the hotel for dinner, we also got unlimited access to the water park as we were just out of season.

When I was actually pricing this holiday and taking everything into consideration the Caribe proved to be extremely good value for money in September.
I kept checking Eclipse for my deal to the El Paso and one day the price for the week I wanted dropped by 400 pounds. :shock: So it's worth keep checking if you are not in a rush to book. Also worth checking First Choice as well even though they are the same company the price can differ. Similar cost to a decent 4* plus purchasing park tickets would have been in late August.

By the time I took off the 200 pounds that I felt the four theme park/water park tickets were worth, I felt I had a good deal.

I also liked the dine around, we ate at the Port Aventura Hotel and the Caribe (although unfortunately I think we caught the Caribe on an off night :roll: ) Less boring than the same restaurant every night.

Great Pool at the El Paso but they don't heat it so beware if you are going off season.

Doe
thanks again for the replies, i am liking the sound of the el paso more and more, just need to keep madly checking the prices now til i come across a good deal :)
The park hotels need to get realistic with their costs outwith peak season. In Sepember I paid less than half the price of the quoted cost of Caribe for a very good 4 star including the extra cost of 2 week passes. Every other day when walking past Caribe it was almost deserted.
I agree. I think there are some drastic variations in price for the park hotels and then they suddenly drop their prices because they realise they are going to be empty!

One day I was checking Eclipse online and the price was £1,900 for the week commencing 28th August, the next day it was £1,400 :shock: huge difference for the same holiday.

They seemed to have stuck on some extra free child places to shift the holidays, previous day £395, next day nothing. :? Don't know where the rest of the saving came from though!
We booked our Sept gone holiday at the Caribe in Feb and paid £1497 for two interconnecting rooms with 4 adults and 1 child travelling.

I know I shouldn't but I checked the price nearly every day and it never went down at all until there were no flights from our preferred airport.

I honestly think it was great value and we really enjoyed not being in a multi storey tower type hotel.

It was lovely to have so much space for the little one to play and to see lots of grass, something most of the hotels don't seem to have in excess in Salou.
Hi Silverpixie :D

I though mine was great value as well at £1400, that was for 3 adults and one child admittedly in one room not two, but it seemed excellent to me, considering you are on top of the theme park, you get unlimited access, a free day in the water park and the food its quite good.

Doe :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.