Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi HaggisGill

Our friend is like your OH and collects fancy knives, as he takes us to and from airport We normally take him one back as a thank you. We have never had any problems just make sure its in your suitcase not hand luggage.
I've never bought perfume in Turkey as I was worried about it being the real thing. I assume the duty free stuff at Dalaman is genuine? Anyone know for sure?
Ta
Bridd
no problems with the perfume at dalaman, its the only place i can recommend to buy it. cant haggle over the price this year as all the boxes are pre priced, still good value tho
Thanks Mike
Bridd
i used to bring home knifes and things like that from allover the world ,and the norm was to wrap them up well and put them in your case as cargo. three years ago my daughter was married in cyprus ,while there i bought an imitation flintlock pistol and some ornamental knifes, when we were waiting at the airport in cyprus my name was called out to go to customs .when i got there they had my case up on a scanner screen and i was questioned untill they were convinced the gun was imitation ,when i arrived at glasgow airport i was surrounded by customs officers ,and my case searched . i was told it was now an offence to bring knifes and any sort of imitation firearms into the u.k. i dont bother any more ,but if i was you i would check before leaving the uk ,to see if you can do it , the shop owners and traders in turkey will tell you it is o.k just to sell you the stuff ,by then it will be to late. hope this is of help to you

bluepeterno1
Bluepetrol

That must have been scary for you.

I may have to think of something else to bring my friend back this year.

I was told as long as they are under 6" it is okay, but dont know if I want to take that chance.

Lynn
as most of the men attending the wedding were dressed in kilts including myself they were even questioning the fact i was carrying a skien dhu ,which is a small black knife carried in the top of kilt socks and is part of the national dress of scotland ,it was also in my case in the hold ,most upsetting ,while returning from belek last october a guy in front of me who was a diver tried to get through the scanner with his diving knife in his hand luggage this thing was the size of a machette and he was really quite indignant when he was taken away and questiomed and the knife confiscated ,there was a lot of amazed people in the queu at his stupidity

bluepeterno1
Are there any duty-free limits? Nobody I ask is sure whether we will be limited to bringing alcohol/tobacco back.
You are alowed to bring back 1 litre spirit per adult and 200 ciggarettes per adult,altough the sellers at the airport will tell you that you can bring as much as you want.

Diane :wave
Thanks Diane - so much for the pressies, that will just about keep me sane the day I get home!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.