Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
We bought a 6 chair dining table and 6 foot corner unit (solid hand carved walnut) about 8 years ago and the process was very easy. We paid a deposit whilst in Goa and the shop said they would notify us when our furniture was made. This was about 4/5 months later - we then had to pay the balance to a bank in London and then they released the furniture. The furntiure was shipped to the UK and driven to our door in a wooden crate. The cost back then was £1500 including shipment for both pieces.
3 years ago we asked them to make a corner seat/storage unit to match the other pieces and again this was shipped to the UK with same payment methods as above. (cost £700)
The furniture is a talking piece for everyone who visits our house and looks absolutely fantastic.
thanks for the reply dixi.

where did you stay and where did you buy the furniture :?:
:) I bought some furniture last year - blanket box, screen, coffee table and 2 small tables from Candolim. Was told shipping price was in with it - what a shock when I had a letter telling me my stuff had arrived - should have arrived in Birmingham - was somewhere down south (can't remember where) and had to pay customs charges and then delivery charges, was about £300 extra to what I was expecting. The bloke said this was a common problem so all beware! It does look great though.
Footy
When are you going?
Footy,
We bought 3 years ago from AA Chaku.
We had 2 Wardrobes, 2 chest of drawers 2 bedside cabinets and bed.
Cost was about 1400 for shipping.
You will need to pay VAT to customs before they release but only on the cost of the furniture not shipping.
The packing was unbelievable, you need big crowbar to get into it.
Some people will want to send it flatpack as it is smaller and cheaper to send. We are here until 5th March so if you want to meetup we will be at the North meetings, or send a PM and I will let you have our Indian Mobile No.
Steve
We stayed in Candolim and bought furniture from Shaikh & Sons. They are based on left hand side as you walk down the beach road. They also used to have a little shop across from the reception of Dona Alcina but not sure if this is still there.
We were told there is no duty to be paid in additonal to shipping costs as the items were hand made and crafted and were exempt. From reading this thead this appears to be incorrect!!

I have bought 2 elephants and paid in full and shipping costs lets see what happens this end when they arrive in 6-8 weeks time!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.