Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I have been buying furniture for the past 3 years and having it shipped home I have never had any problems. It usually arrives in Southampton, then for the price of 45 pounds, it is whisked through customs and arrives at our front door.

So far we have bought a four poster bed, a fire place, bureau, tables, large wooden ornaments, lamps, chests, and the besat of all I think, is the 4 foot elephant. We are moving in 10 days, to a smaller house, so I think it will curtail my buying.

I always use Valley arts, at the postoffice end of Beach road, Candolim, we have never had any problems.
Tomitma,

Is your furniture fully assembled or do you have to do it yourself?

Sheila
It is fully assembled, occassionally we may have to put the legs on something, but the peices are all numbered, I think the worst one we had delivered was the lamp, there are 18 different bulb holders, each with the flower, like open and closing effect, but it was really simple to do.
:( Bought a blanket box, screen, coffee table and 2 small tables last year but then occured another £300 to get it through customs and delivered - I was told the price was it all in - so beware and would be delivered to Birmingham (dry port) - actually delivered down south somewhere - Felixstowe I think.
  • Edited by candy64 2007-05-10 23:18:04
candy64, have heard this from a lot of people who brought things in Goa to be shipped back to England with all costs included only to be faced with a very large bill when it does arrive :!: tomitma might be worth a pm to find out more.
Bought furniture from Acron in Candolim. Their shipping company said that they could deliver to the port of Leith in Edinburgh. Unfortunately the container arrived in Tilbury. The container also lay in Mumbai for a week and incurred a holding charge. Holding charge approx £50 delivery from Tilbury to Edinburgh £150 import duty and fees around £120

Fortunately Acron are a very reputable company and we picked up the £200 excess charges in rupees a year later when in Candolim.

I must add it took a lot of Emailing to convince Acron that Edinburgh was 400+ miles 'up the road'.

Fortunately the furniture we bought was worth it as we saw similar designs in Harrods at twice the price.

Unless you have a port nearby it may not be worth it. Do buy from a reputable exporter.
we bought a bedroom set last year 8 pieces of furniture it was supposed to be delivered to Bristol but ended up at Tilbury Essex so for the cost of delivery to our home and taxes and customs it was an extra £850.00 we had to pay furniture very nice though just wasn't expecting to pay more
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.