Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
I fear with the increase in tourism and the opening of more and more jewelry shops the incidence of dodgey deals can only get more common. A few years ago you could buy fairly safely but not now i fear. With more and more shops opening even the old established ones may be tempted to cut corners just to keep in business, It's sad but just another examle of the changes taking place in Goa in it's scramble for more and more tourists Alan
Posted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:30 pm Post subject: jewellery purchase advice in candolim goa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Guys

Its our first time in goa and we have now ben lookin jewellery for a week and have nearly visited all theshops in goa, and have now shortlisted to Guru jewellers and Chandra jewellers, have seen some beautiful solitaires with both of them and they are both near in prices.

Please advice who would be more trustworthy?

Sarahnine
Sarah
There's a specific thread on buying jewellery and gemstones in Goa just under your post - it runs to 18 pages!

Both Chandra and Guru Jewellers have been mentioned.

Although I've had jewellery made before in Goa, I've never bought from either of these shops so can't help you in your choice.
From the recent posts, it sounds like some jewellers may be substituting inferior stones from those chosen initially.

The more I read, the more I'm convinced that buying gemstones without any knowledge of what constitutes a 'good quality' stone is a big mistake - and can be costly.

Polly
Hi Sarah,

I put a post on our experience with Chandra's here

We haven't had the jewellery valued yet so can't comment on that, but the ring itself looks great! I would suggest that you ask about the quality,clarity etc of stones if you are buying anything with stones in - we didn't really know much about it but we sounded like we did.

Check the jewellery carefully and if you have chosen a particular stone make sure it is the same one when you collect it.

I would also say don't feel pressured into having something if you are not happy. We were quite willing to walk away, and Chandra's knew that.
goa
We must have gone into Guru's nearly every day before buying. He also mended some of our stuff. Eventually me and daughter bought a ring each and get them valued this week. I liked his professional approach and his modern jewellery.
:) Read what I've put on.
Hi Sarah, as a comparison try Glimpses across the road from Chandra - the shop looks expensive but we have bought jewellery from him for the last 7 years and everything has been excellent and very reasonable, I bought my engagement ring there in 2000 and it is beautiful and is admired by everyone. Going back in a week to buy our wedding rings!
Goanne
I've just seen the movie "Blood Diamond" :shock:

I won't be buying any more diamonds in India. :(
If this is helpful to anyone that is unhappy here is Living Jewels e-mail address: ljgoa@yahoo.co.in ... It might help to notify them of your dissatisfaction... they know about this forum,as previously mentioned, they probably won't answer sraight away as emails are sent to Perrys daughter and they get sent down every week, and it won't hurt to let them know that their customers are talking to one another and they need to keep on their toes !
All the best , dobbydog.
I,ve been dealing with the Crystal Rock Shop for a few years now. Their original shop in Candolim just up from the Elephant Shop is about 13 years there and their newer one is in Calangute across from the Tibetan Market, it's been there about 6 years Vivek the owner runs the Candolim shop and his wife the Calangute one Last season we asked him to look out for a good quality Tanzanite stone for my wife and after about seven months searching he came up with one he found in Mumbai It was about 4.5c. and he designed a superb ring for her which also incorporated a couple of good quality diamonds in the design. He also made a gold and ruby bracelet as a birthday and wedding gift for our future daughter-in-law. Both pieces valued up about three times the cost and have been much admired both here, and in Oz where the Ruby bracelet went. Vivek is a superb jewellry designer and has his own in-house workshop and I would have no hesitation in recommending him as both myself and friends have never had anything but satisfaction in all our dealings with him Alan
Salford - New Era is opposite the Mango Grove and the Elephant shop. They also sell bags unfortunately, so between the diamonds and the bags, I find it easier to just give him my credit card when I arrive. It saves time in the long run! Seriously though my wife's stuff has always been good from them, why she went to Chandras I will never know. I do know that she will not make the same mistake again though.
bought 2 rings off dennis who is goan, paid £60 for wedding ring valued in uk at £350, paid £700 for diamond ring princess cut 1.30ct total 1 large in centre, 4 smaller ones on side valuer in uk said excellent setting, good diamonds, good claws on diamonds value £2700. a friend bought an anklet from a kashmir jeweller had to wait 10 days no certificate wrapped in tissue and then was too small. def recommend celebrations in calangute
  • Edited by sammy10 2007-02-16 10:11:41
Mr Rafiq trading as Alum Arts inside the Bon Appettite restaurant ~ located Candolim/Sinquerim. Genuine jeweller slightly cheaper than the two jewellers consistantly mentioned in this thread.

While you are there, have a lovely meal in the Bon Appettite.

Regards.

Patricia
Try Pop In Jewlers on Candolim brach road, just before you get to the Sports bar.
They not only make jewelry but also sell stones to other jewlers in Goa. Chandra sometimes buys his stones from Bashir.
Tell them the quality you want before asking for prices.
For those of you who have read my holiday trip report you will know we bought 7 rings in goa in november .......I have had my valuation back and am more than pleased.....some rings were valued at 4 times what we paid and some rings were valued at 3 times what we paid for that im well pleased .
But 2 of the rings say on testing ....the gold is sub standard and of non UK origin............what dose this mean :?: and has this ever happned to anyone else ....BTW the 2 rings are still worth more than we paid for them ..but I am puzzled by what safeGuard have wrote ... :shrug :shrug ...colleen
Hi Colleen
Hope you enjoyed your holiday.

I've never had any reports of 'sub-standard gold'.

Did you buy all the 7 rings from the same jewellers?
Should it all have been the same quality gold? e.g. 18ct or 9ct?
Have you asked the valuers to explain the terms they have used?
Do the rings have a stamp on? I'd expect an 18ct ring to be stamped either 18k or 750 (i.e. contains three quarters pure gold - 24 carat is 100% pure gold).

It's reasonable to expect it to be 'of non-UK origin'.

Polly
Yes polly all the rings were bought from the same jeweller at the same time I have bought from him before and always get a very good valuataion .
I phoned safeguard and they said two of the rings are stamped 333 he said that was even less than 9 crt gold ....all the others are 18crt..I just dont know how this could be ........I will bring them back and give off but the thing is ..is if he does the rings in 18crt witch i will want him to do ...it will mean having to get them valued again and thas gona cost me another 100 quid :( :( :( colleen what do you think :?: ....a very sad colleen indeed
Colleen
I can understand your problem.

I think the first thing you should do is share the name of this jeweller with us all.
If you asked for the rings to be made in 18ct and they've done them in less than 9ct then I would want to be warned about them.
Even if they have been honest enough to stamp the gold 333 (rather than dishonestly stamping it 750), they have still not provided you with the goods that you contracted to buy.

I assume that they quoted you to make the rings in 18ct gold.
If this is the case, you have paid over the odds for the rings and I would definitely contact them to see what they intend to do to rectify the situation.

Whether you have the valuation redone when the rings have been changed is your call.
Do you specifcally need a valuation for each ring for insurance purposes?
If not, I'd personally be inclined to save the money.

Chaps, I think this is another cautionary tale about buying gold and gems in Goa.

Polly
I recently had all my jewellery that I have bought in Goa valued, all the valuations came back either 2 or 3 times what we paid , each item was acid tested for the gold content and all came out as 18ct. I was very pleased with this as I was worried about a ring I bought from Hi-lite Arts in Candolim, but this turned out to be double. All the rest we bought from Quaisar in Candolim, solitaire ring, amethyst bracelet and earrings were treble. We had this done at an independent jewellers in Wakefield and he gave us a valuation certificate, but it does state for insurance purposes only. I have no intention of selling my jewellery, but it is nice to know I haven't been ripped off.

Debs
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.