EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Buying in Bodrum
252 Posts
Hi Juneec and welcome
you have opened a can of worms here. One mention of estate agents normally starts a war :lol: Try http://www.turkeyvilla.com they have a few people living in the Gumusluk area. a friend of mine is selling an apartment in Gundogan which has just been built.
good luck with your search
Thanks Chelsea Boy - I'll give it a try.

juneec
Juneec

I would agree with Chelsea boy, Turkey Villa is very good, or you could try INVALID URL great name isn't it.

Paragraph deleted. If you wish to advertise on Holidaytruths, please contact an administrator.
Bawbee
Thanks Steve - turkey twinkles it is then!

juneec
As general advice, make sure you do your homework before you go. Buying a property in any foreign country has risks involved and you should do preparation to minimise these risks.

Two possibilities of agents.
First choice is through a UK representative. The cost of this is usually no extra as they split commissions with their Turkish partners, but you get the benefit of talking to registered UK companies (giving you protection of UK law) who usually can work very much in your favour if anything goes wrong. The best bet is to visit FOPDAC (Federation of overseas property developers, agencies and consultants) http://www.fopdac.com as they strictly vet (background company checks etc) all associates and also insist that they have available to clients independent solicitors (plus all their Turkish offices/partners will be properly licensed).
If you are going direct to Turkish agents make sure they are registered (having taken the new exams), and are proper established companies. Many rogue estate agents exist trying to make a fast buck, so ask some pertinent questions to see how legitimate they are. e.g. Do they charge KD on commission (Turkish VAT @18%), and ask for some UK references of people who have purchased through them (and follow them up)

A good source for correct purchasing costs is the Economic Turkish Consulate in the UK - http://www.turkisheconomy.org.uk/buying_property.html.

Make sure you book appointment with your pre-selected agencies and stick only to them. Many waiters, shop assistants, taxi drivers etc will try and sell you property when you are out there - just bare in mind what they will do for you if your purchase starts to go wrong...
Post deleted.

If you wish to advertise on Holidaytruths, please contact an administrator.
Bawbee
Hi
We have just purchased in Gumusluk!!
This village is lovely!!! The Bay is terrific!!
If you click the link from: charlie 2005 and look at Gumsan I that is where ours is!!!

Another link for you is:
http://www.realestatebluebodrum.com/home/index.asp
She is turkish, we bought from her, and I can say that we found her to be really decent.

Geoff and Olya
We are also buying in Turkbuku which is on the northside of the Bodrum Peninsula. We used a local Property agent Selcuk Kale. He was excellent and only brought us to see propeties that fitted our requirements. His english is not great but you can get an interpreter if you find a property that you like. This is what we did. Our solicitor is Jila Edalet, details below. Her english is very good and she has looked after our interests all the time. She was recommended by the agent but is very much independent of him. We are just back and were arranging to have some work done with the house when the tapu arrives and she is drawing up a contract with them. She also said she would get her own engineer to look over the prices we were qouted to see if they were fair as some of them looked on the high side. We are very happy with the service she is giving
DR.JÝLA EDALAT
LAW OFFICE
NEYZEN TEVFÝK CAD. HAMAM SOK.
NO: 8 BODRUM - TURKEY
TEL & FAX : 0252-3168886
E.MAIL : jila@edalet.com
Hi Olya,

Just read that you have recently purchased in GUMUSLUK - we are going out next Sunday and have a few places to see in this village. I have been trying to get as much info on the place as possible before we go - can you tell us a little more about the place itself ie. is it very crowded, where there many Brits living there, is it fairly quiet. We probably would go out Spring and Autumn. I lived in Spain for a couple of years and although it was a quieter place than most, know what it is like in the height of the season!!! Although we don't want it too quiet where there is nothing to do, we also don't particularly want to be in the midst of mayhem!!!!
I'm sure you get my point.

Would appreciate any info you can give. :D :D Jass
Hi Jass

Go to: http://www.turkishculture.org/ go to Gallery, Bodrum. There you will find pictures of Bodrum, Yalikivak, Gumusluk and Turgetreis. All of these towns are within 20 min drive of each other.

We do know that Gumusluk is very popular with Brits, but it is quiet. It is scenic from what I saw of it, and that was in Feb. We are going back in June to finish off the house.
Bodrum is excellent, and so is Turgetreis. Yalikivak is a little smaller, but still pretty.

Geoff and Olya
Hi Olya,

Many thanks for your information - very helpful, will let you know how we get on.

See you live in Blandford Forum, my son used to go to school at Milton Abbey, lovely part of the world. We are now living in Devon.

Maybe see you out in Turkey sometime!!

JASS
I would recommend the Kent Estate Agency, they looked after us very well last year. we didn't buy but the service was good. We have looked on their website with the intention of looking again this year and seems they have some nice properties on their books. They also seem to be advertising the services of a British surveyor which shows they don't have anything to hide. Their website is http://www.kentestateagency.com
Thanks Piperman, I think I met with that agent last time out. He seemed very good but we were just starting to think about buying then - now it's a definate. I'll get back in touch when we go out in May. Thanks also to Olya - just waiting on a reply back from that company.

Thanks for your help

juneec
Jan81tr

Firstly we all know that there are good and bad agents here in Turkey, but its not very professional to badmouth them in public - it puts all the clients off of all the agents - better to advise them professionally and therefore impress them with your local knowledge and not refer to other agents as "corner shops" you might belong to a big chain but that doesent automatically make you the best agent. In one of you previous post you imply that you can get special privelidges I quote "Hi leighanne

The company that i work for is ESKIDJI real estate and we are the biggest company in Turkey , so we have small privilages )

If we can agree in conditions i can get you approved from military in 2 days.

But normally we do it between 1-4 weeks.
Its all about trust. "

I ask to this do Eskidji know that you are implying some sort of bribery proceedure on their behalf?? because to my knowledge there are no special privelidges but if you would like to confirm this as fact I will take it up with the relevant authorities.?? I await your further posting before refering further.

Edited by Bawbee. As per T & C, please don't use coloured font, thanks.
Hello everyone

These days its taking at least 2-3 months till your papers are back from military checks before you buy a property in Turkey.

Just information

Cheers
Hi, a mate of mine as just bought a apartment in Altinkum......
paid 30k for a 2 bedroomed apartment.........I wouldn`t mind doing it myself, but only to rent out. Does anyone have any idea what price you could charge per week for a 2 bedroomed apartment in Altinkum???? Any help would be appreciated.......

edit note by Biff moved forum from Turkey
Not got a clue m8. My apartment is on the Algarve. However I went on several websites advertising lettings for my area and priced mine up accordingly. Dare say you could do the same. Just a note of caution, it takes time to build up lettings, you very rarely fill your apartment the first year. Mind you if its a nice one and word gets round, and you organise decent marketing you should be ok.
thats expensive for a 2 bed apartment, you can have this for 55k,
http://photobucket.com/albums/v22/Turkish/Tukish%20house/?start=all
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.