Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Yes you are right. The other is better! I must say that the lifestyle floors are looking very tempting, just for a few more £'s. I love the idea of the mood lighting!
My son has just stayed at the Landmark and he was very impressed and thought it fantastic.
Horizon Beach hotel is not actually on the beach as such and you have to cross a road to get to it. The only hotel/resort on the beach in Patong is the Impiana Phuket Cabana... it was getting a bit run down but due to the tsunami it's been refurbished and looking very smart.
My recommendation would be the Busakorn wing at the Holiday Inn in Patong, we only stay in a studio room and it is really lovely. It's right in Patong and in easy walking distance of everything Patong has to offer and not in your face at the same time.
You'd think I was on commission at the times I've recommended this place... I'm not lol. I'm reasonably well travelled and stayed in some dumps over the years... but this place has got me. We are returning in October :P
Cheers Geri
Thanks Geri. Another good reference for the Landmark! I think I'm pretty set on that one now as it seems as though everyone likes it. Your recommendations for Patong are also excellent. The Impiana Phuket Cabana looks lovely, but I think from what I've seen I prefer the look of the Holiday Inn. The Busakorn wing villa rooms look gorgeous and I love the idea of the direct pool entry. I'm not sure whether my budget will run to one of those but I'll give it a try! Another good thing is that the HI is actually in the Thomson brochure I have, so they must be able to quote me for it with the Landmark. They do also offer an upgrade to the Busakorn wing. I managed to find a map of Patong that shows where all the hotels are, and the location looks good too. I am conscious that I really don't want to stay in a dump either as I really want this to be special.

I am so pleased I joined up to this site. It is amazing how much help and advice I've been given. In just a few days I've found out so much and I feel confident that I know exactly what I want and where now. I wish I'd used this site years ago for our other holidays! Thank you all so much! Claire :D
Claire
Just think- soon you will be advising others on Thailand!
In the meantime- have a look at some of the forums as I'll bet you can join in a few of them. But- remember THIS is your main forum- we want to hear how all the planning goes! :D
Hehe, I have already been on a couple of the other forums! I posted a couple of replies to queries on the Egypt one as that's where we went a few weeks ago! I've also looked on the Turkey one as we went there last year. Booking a holiday will never be the same again! I just can't wait for the prices to be released so I can book. How am I going to wait that long?!! :lol:
We have stayed in a direct pool access room which was complimentary for one night... it was lovely but you were looking into the rooms across the pool so most people kept their blinds down for privacy as the pool is not that wide. We found we crept back to the main pool as we'd made new friends there... as you do.
One thing about the main wing of the Holiday Inn is that there are no rooms on the ground floor... this is for the restaurants, reception, foyer and other stuff. Some of the rooms face the back of the hotel too but you only have to email the hotel direct and they will do their utmost to place you where you want.
There is generally a good mix of nationalities at the Holiday Inn which is a good thing. We've spent a week in a hotel in Koh Samui and been the only English speaking people and more recently been the only Aussie/Poms in a resort full of Kiwi's (they were all very nice though).
Hi Geri. Our holiday in Egypt was a little like that. It was mainly Italians, with Russians and Germans, and various other nationalities. There were relatively few English. This doesn't really worry us too much as don't you always find you don't really make friends until the last few days anyway? LOL! Mind you ithat said, it is nice to have a few people to chat to.

I was debating emailing the hotel directly once I have booked if I do it all with a TO. Mind you if I am able to upgrade to the Busakorn wing at least I will know I can get a nice room. Maybe the villas are not worth the extra. When I was on the HI site earlier and playing with dates it was only bringing up villa rooms on the second floor, and I'm not so worried about those.

When you book hotels you can normally put requests in such as pool view, low floor etc can't you. Is there anything you would suggest asking for? Or any particular room numbers? LOL!
Just wondering what you want from your Thai beach resort....Patong it has to be said is the busiest resort on Phuket...very lively and developed so don't expect to get the beach to yourself. Its a bit too frenetic for me, after an evenings shopping I'm more than happy to leave.
Hi Sunbear, I think Patong is probably right for this holiday. As I mentioned before my husband has always been into more lively, busy holidays and has never been into sunbathing. As this holiday is going to be a surprise I think it best to go with Patong as the resort is busy. He loves to people watch and be in the middle of things. We have been to quieter, slower paced resorts a couple of times and has never been happy!
Just wanted to say a quick thank you to all of you who gave me advice. I have just got back from booking our holiday!! 4 nights in Bangkok and 5 nights in Phuket.. leaving on 1st December.

All I have to worry about now is whether hubby will be pleased with his surprise. His birthday is just over three weeks away, so not long to sweat!
:D
so is it the Landmark and Holiday Inn?
Yes! 4 nights in the Landmark. I've only paid for superior, but they have a free upgrade to deluxe promo running on those dates apparently. I'll have to make sure when my confirmation comes through. They have also put in a request for lifestyle floors as well as apparantly this couldn't be booked directly through them. Again I will have to wait and see what comes through in the next couple of days. I am still also thinking of contacting the hotel directly to see what upgrade I can get that's not too expensive!!

Then 5 nights at the Holiday Inn, Phuket. I have gone for a villa room with direct pool access, although it nearly broke the bank balance!

I can't wait now..

3 weeks and 1 day til hubby finds out what his prezzy is... :D
......and 11 months to look forward to it :D
Great choices Claire.
We were at the Holiday Inn in October and it's still as lovely as ever and the staff are wonderful.
Let us know how you go.
Cheers Geri
Just a quick update for all of you who gave me advice!

I gave hubby a folder for his birthday which had details and a little itinary I'd done, along with the booking confirmation and some pics. It was funny as he didn't have a clue what I'd given him! When the penny finally dropped he actually cried!! So he was pleased. :D

The direct pool access at the Busakorn was declined though. A bit of shame, but apparently they were already all booked out. Almost 11 months before travelling! Shows how popular they are. So anyway, we are now in a villa room at the Busakorn.

Can't wait to go now.. This time in 5 months we'll be there :D

Thanks all xxxx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.