General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
we go here sometimes in the winter and love it, its quiet yet so pretty with friendly helpful people, there is an internet shop at the bottom of the small town,its also very cheap to eat out , here are 3 links that will provide more info for you

http://www.akyakam.com/akyaka/english/index.html

http://www.turkuaz-guide.net/gokova.html

http://akyaka.com/index.php
Gleneagles Hotel in Scotland might suit
http://www.gleneagles.com/
You get everything you asked for in your post.
Its very peaceful - you can stay in the hotel or in a lodge in the grounds.
You can get room service for all your meals.
There is lots to do if you want - riding, a spa, clay pigeon shooting, golf or any other sport you can think of.
Beautiful scenery.
One hour from Edinburgh airport.

Its pricey, but if that sort of thing appeals there are loads of less expensive country house hotels you could look at.
Honestly, I'm not being sarcastic but have you thought about staying at home for a chill-out week? I too work in a stressful job and every so often I just book a week off work - tell everybody that I'm going to be away and just hibernate for the week! If it's in the winter I turn up the thermostat and make sure that I've got plenty of logs for the open fire.

I NEVER answer the phone and just let the answer service do the business and only return those calls I want to. I stock the freezer with all my favourite ready meals from M&S and on the days when I can't even be bothered to shove one of them in the oven I order a home delivery takeaway. If the weather is good I go and visit local places of interest that I would never normally to because being on the doorstep I take them for granted.

I read all the trashy novels I've been saving up for 'when I have time' and I stock up on the bathtime goodies. I book a home pedicure from my chirpodist who does home visits, and do likewise with a travelling beautician for a manicure and facial etc and for next time have even asked my regular stylist if she would consider doing a 'homer' for me and she's said yes.

About the only thing on your list that doesn't happen is the daily laundry change - I make sure that the bathroom is stocked up with my favourite fluffy white towels and reckon that as I spend at least an hour a day soaking in the bath with my favourite bath bombs, the sheets should last me the week as usual! And if I want to spend days on end in my jammies who's to see me whilst I watch all those programmes I videoed but never seemed to find the time to actually watch? Bliss!

SM
Honestly, I'm not being sarcastic but have you thought about staying at home for a chill-out week? I too work in a stressful job and every so often I just book a week off work - tell everybody that I'm going to be away and just hibernate for the week! If it's in the winter I turn up the thermostat and make sure that I've got plenty of logs for the open fire.

I see where you are coming from, but I live in Tenerife, which is a very small island and if any of my employers or employees (i have my fingers in many pies) know I am around, they would be there at the door!!! Also, i don't really fancy pizza, chinese and indian takeaways every night!!! Also, at some stage i would like to try and incorporate a visi to my family in the North of England.

Gleneagles Hotel in Scotland might suit
http://www.gleneagles.com/
You get everything you asked for in your post.

Now this is the sort of thing I am looking for................i thought we may end up on an island off the coast of the UK somewhere...............when I get back from NY I will have a delve...............thankyou

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

we go here sometimes in the winter and love it, its quiet yet so pretty with friendly helpful people, there is an internet shop at the bottom of the small town,its also very cheap to eat out , here are 3 links that will provide more info for you

Sounds a bit like home from home I'm afraid and i need to have the internet access in my accommodation..................and I want to avoid going out at night to eat if we can help it, even if its for the majority of time

Thanks for your help everyone, please keep them coming, anything out of the ordinary is fine.................................
This one looks good too
http://www.clunebeg.com/Guest_Suite/guest_suite.html
although it might be a bit far north for you - it's on the north shore of Loch Ness.
Really quiet area in the scottish borders - East Lothian..the beaches there ( Dunbar and North Berwick are the best) are just so rugged yet so peaceful. It is just south of Edinburgh, straight down the A1, certainly between 15 and 20 miles drive. Edinburgh is close enough to visit and if you fancy travelling another 20 miles, you could go right to the enlish border. The views along the coast are stunning.

If you don't fancy travelling that far north, Whitley Bay in the North east is just as tranquil, or if you prefer a little more action..what about York? Beautiful city and loads of history. Pointless me suggesting anywhere in the Canaries (my favourite destinations) as it would be like a busmans holiday for you. Good luck in finding somewhere..
Hi

Just remember that from the end of November hotels will be into Christmas party season already. Having said that we stayed at the De Vere hotel in Swindon last year and despite having parties booked it really didn't interfere with us at all. As a chain they might be worth looking at- you will get your internet access, rooms are nice with mini bar included on some packages. Certainly the food was lovely in the one we stayed at and often you will have the health suite as well.

Really, really do not book a caravan!! They have vents in the floor and when the weather is cold they are freezing. We made the mistake of booking one in the winter months and ended up all sleeping in the living room with the gas fire on all night. Not quite the level of comfort you are after.

Good luck

Pam :D
I see where you are coming from, but I live in Tenerife, which is a very small island

I can appreciate that you would prefer somewhere in the UK as you'd like to also visit family but in your shoes I'd do what I do every November anyway - hop on the ferry over to La Gomera :-) We always go self-catering in Valle Gran Rey but I'd be surprised if La Tecina in Playa de Santiago couldn't provide everything you are looking for - except the family in the UK of course but perhaps they'd be delighted being asked to join you for your chill-out week!

SM
Except for the daily laundry change, the Crieff Hydro in Perthshire may also fit your criteria. In addition to the hotel, there are also self catering chalets and lodges, but all guests can make full use of the hotel's excellent restaurant and leisure facilities. It's worth checking out availability and prices on their website, as there are regularly some amazing offers.

David :wave
I am sure there a hotel on Lindisfarne(Holy Island) which is cut off at high tide!.Theres also a large caravan site near here,Haggerstone castle,which has lodges and luxury caravans with central heating,overlooking a lake.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.