Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
I first and foremost would enquire with a garage or dealer in the UK what the cost of replacing such item would be including labour so you at least have some sort of idea what you possibly could get billed.

If you do get billed, insist on the repair bill and challenge it, if it is too expensive. Argue back to them that you were never given an opportunity to get a cheaper quote elsewhere.

You may, of course, never get billed in case this advise is of course no use to you.

Mark :D
Mark

Appreciated those comments,maybe i am panicking but its horrible when you have never hired a car abroad before, will be a lot wiser next time and a bit more careful.
will do as you advise and possibly contact my credit card company to withhold payment should the worse case scenario happen in case of ridiculous charge!
Why withold payment? You admit to causing the damage! Is it not dishonest now to refuse to pay? I have run a car hire operation and accepted minor scuffs as part of the job. I was also one of the first car hire operations to insist that all hires included full CDW. The reason was for people who as in your case tried to avoid payment. Sorry if my comments offend but many of the problems that people encounter as caused by the minority who try to avoid their responsibilities.

fwh
I am sure bigfoot can speak for himself, but on reading his post I didn't think he was trying to avoid paying for the damage, just was concerned that there might be a hefty amount taken from his credit card?
You have to consider your standing with the credit card provider. You admit to the damage, if the cost is excessive then you can enlist their help in resolving. Should they take the view that you are trying to avoid paying they will not assist you but it could do damage to your credit rating or even result in withdrawal of your credit card. Why did you not point out the damage when you returned the car? You still were in a position to refuse payment or ask for the assistance of the CC supplier. By admiting you had avoided the subject when you returned the vehicle you create a problem that is more dificult to resolve.

fwh
For anyone reading this
It was not my idea to avoid paying in any way for what is a very minor scuff on the moulding and not the paintwork but didn't want to be ripped off. I will let the payment go through my card and take it from there.
Yes now I do wish I had said something. At the time I felt it best not to. I wish now they had brought the matter to my attention.
Maybe all this is hypothetical and I might never hear anymore.
Sorry if this is in bold my caps lock is stuck and playing up
No offence meant and appreciated the comments from all and sundry

Edit to remove cap lock problem.
If you are very concerned which you obviously are, why don't you ring the car hire company and explain the situation? These people are not out to rip you off because they want repeat trade and so will help you all they can. It is important that you are honest with them and do not get agitated when calling them, because this is what frustrates the people who work for the hire company.

I hire cars in Spain regular and I had an accident where the underside of the car was damaged. Nobody knew the damage was there but me yet I told the company and had to forfeit 300 euros excess. I felt the company acted excellent and I felt I had acted correct.

Imagine if this damage, no matter how minor, goes unnoticed and the next person who hires the car gets stung with the cost! I think you will feel better when you call them and by the sound of things, the damage is so minor you will probably be ok.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.