Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Car Hire
354 Posts
Don't know whether to just go ahead and 'go for it' :hmmm

If it's anything like the flights I've just booked, they went up £70 from Sun to Wed........

Cheers,
Jinty
Jinty
I booked car hire with them a few weeks ago, for a friend and will do so for our next trip in a few weeks,
The good thing was they dont rip you off like soem of the others for petrol they took £6 as the tank was only half full that is unlike some who charge up to £30 for petrol

check our http://www.moneysupermarket.com for comparisons.
Have you actually used them then, Elizabeth?

Cheers,
Jinty
This will be the first time for us personally , but only 2 weeks ago i did the booking on the internet for Phil.s friend and he was very pleased , and had no complaints.

Must admit i was a bit worried incase he would have as he is very fussy and we warned him not stump up over the odds for the fuel at New Year Budget charged us £30 for a tank of petrol. i was pleasantly suprised when he said they only charged him the £6

check out http://www.cypruseastern.com car hire for more reports, I will be back 2nd april if you want to hang on until then and i will let you know how we got on.
Left it quite late :bhead as we're heading out for a weeks break on Friday 9th...friend said she'd arrange it,but so far hasn't got round to it! Have been looking for cheapest car hire from Larnaca airport, if poss. Small car suitable for 4 females.
Can anyone recommend please???
Thanks in advance.
take a look at the link in the post above this.. it may give you some ideas

just make sure you get full accident insurance with excess waiver..

wizard
Thanks.
Having a good look now. :)
Sorry if this has been asked before, and it might be a silly question. I'm going to North Cyprus but as you can hire a vehicle South to travel North I'm presuming this will be the same whichever side.

I still have the old style driving licence, not the new picture one. Will I encounter any problems using this when I hire a car? I know it is perfectly legal until I decide to swap it or have to submit it for some reason, but wonder if it will still be recognisable as up to date whilst overseas?
To take a car into the North you require permission from the hire company and insurance company.

fwh
Deleted.
  • Edited by FionaI 2007-03-10 18:32:44
I wasn't enquiring about that fwh, just that I thought this thread would be a better place to ask about whether there might be a problem with me not having a picture licence than the North Cyprus thread.
The "Picture Licence" that most of us have, covers you in most places in the world. Technically you require an International Driving Permit (IDP ) is required if you do not have one.

Some countries do require them and details can be found here together with some useful notes on car hire.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=88877

I pointed out the insurance permission as many people are not aware.

fwh
Be carefull with the "picture licence".
Some places insist on seeing the full licence, i.e. the paper version, too.

Mark
Thanks for that guys. Maybe it's time I upgraded anyway and then there should be no problems.
SandC,
No, they will not allow a car hired in the north to cross the line.

And I wouldn't worry about your licence - you ought to see the state of mine and they never even look at it properly, just write the number down :lol: and it's the rare all pink (no green at all) one...

Ady
Thanks for that, mine's a bit dog eared but never had reason to upgrade it really.

I wasn't planning on 'crossing the line' (I'm going North), but worth knowing nonetheless.
I read the carhire thread and emailed Petsas for a quote which I have received. Its brilliant quote so I asked to confirm the reservation and how I go about securing it with credit card or drivers name etc and Ive just received an email back with booking number etc and nothing else...

Is this normal when booking direct? How do I pay when we arrive? And where do we go when we get to the airport?

I have obviously emailed to ask, but in the past Ive always paid carhire in advance and just an email is making me nervous :shock:

Thanks
Hi

I think you'll find that there'll be someone there to meet you when you get to the airport, then they do the payment, etc. there and then.
Someone will correct me if this is wrong though.

If anything does happen to go wrong and you've paid nothing, you can get some great deals from the car hire desks in the arrivals hall. We did this last time (just turned up) and got a fab car for a really good price for the week.

Kezza
Thanks, thats reassuring. I didnt even think to just go to a desk :roll:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.