France and Channel Hopping Discussion

Discussions regarding holidays and channel hopping in France.
CARNAC TOURIST OFFICE ***
Morbihan (56) - Brittany
74, avenue des Druides B.P 65, 56342 CARNAC
Phone 02.97.52.13.52
fax : 02.97.52.86.10
Email : accueiltourisme@ot-carnac.fr
Internet : http://www.ot-carnac.fr

This information comes from the French Tourist Offices Information Website - and I think you can get information from them by telephone (I am 99.9% sure they will speak English!) or from the website in English about the area and what to see and do. You will certainly have plenty to discover about monoliths and stone circles, and the seafood and local wine makes for comfortably full tummies![/url]
We stayed on that site last summer with Eurocamp and it was great. The beach is a 2 minute walk and the centre of the resort is 5 minutes walk. There is a SuperU supermarket a few minutes walk away. Carnac Plage is very much geared up to tourists and there are plenty of places to get meals, although we didn't find anywhere selling traditional French food - it was mainly pizzas and steaks. Carnac and Carnac Plage are very good for cycling as the roads are quite narrow and in the summer get very busy so you can use the cycle lanes and paths to avoid the jams.
Our daughters were 2 1/2 and almost 6 when we were there and we managed to explore quite a lot of the region - Quiberon, Auray, Vannes, etc. Our only problem was the day we took them to the aquarium at Vannes. When we got there we discovered that most of the car parks had a height restriction barrier of 1.85m. I had a roofbox on my car and that takes the height of my car up to 1.96m. We got some very strange looks as we removed the box, hubby carried it under the barrier as I drove through and we then put the box back on to leave the car.
I don't know if you are travelling with younger children but the Fun Station Kids Club run by Eurocamp and Keycamp for 4 year olds + was great for our older daughter. In the morning they tended to have crafts and board games and the afternoon was more active things like football, although some mornings they were around the site doing treasure hunts etc.

I'd thoroughly recommend Carnac and this campsite.
Thanks a mill Elaine, that wasj ust the feedback I was looking for. Yes, we are travelling with smallies, they will be 1.5, 4, 6, and 7.5. We are travelling last week Jun/1st week Jul. I think most of the kids activities don't start until the 2nd of July so it looks like the first week will be quiet, so we may do a bit of travelling out of site that week! Thanks again. It's great to hear from someone who has been there.
We were there from 27th June last year and the Fun Station was up and running well before then but they may have changed it for this year.
If you want to go to Quiberon, do it early in your holiday as the road gets very busy (single lane each way) the further into the season you go. We found that the little train is the best way to see the Quiberon peninsula. Parking in Auray was a nightmare but it's worth the battle to see the old part of the town down by the water. There are lots of lovely beaches around Carnac but the best one we found was between Carnac and La Trinite Sur Mer (it was called something like Le Mens) and it has a small island that can be accessed at lowtide.
We stayed at Carnac last Aug/Sep (Grand Metairie site) and quite enjoyed it, 'though I have to agree about the tourist food- pizzas, crepes and steak galore! To get a good meal we ended up in Quiberon. Young kids will love the resort as it is lively in season (a bit too much like a Brit seaside resort for our tastes with its amusement arcades)
Trinite Sur Mer is well worth a visit, like Carnac it has a large market.
The only downside to Trinite was a certain restaurant trying to overcharge us by 50 euro! When I pointed it out (in French) they just wrote the correct amount down without apology or explanation. After checking with campsite staff it seems this restaurant relies on the belief that most Brits won't challenge them because they (the restaurant) speak very little English, and many Brits don't speak French. I won't name the restaurant on the open forum but if anyone wants to know then pm me.
Dean.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.