Malta and Gozo Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Malta and Gozo.
Carnival
8 Posts
there is an "alternative " carnival in Nadur, Gozo, and a standard carnival in Victoria - the one in Nadur is fun !

http://www.gozo.gov.mt/pages.aspx?page=306

"In Nadur the purposes of costume is disguise, in other words, simply not to be recognised. Consequently grotesquely disguised crowds overrun the streets; the costumes consisting mainly of haphazard, coarse guises made of sack, sheets, wigs and incongruous make-up. The local participants are often silent for most of the time in order to make sure that they remain unidentified - so much so that is sometimes referred to as the Silent Carnival. The floats lose much of the grandeur, which the Valletta carnival accords them, and are often no more than carts released from their ubiquitous role on the farms and brought to the streets of Nadur.

Within this absurd set-up it is not uncommon to catch sight of placards with ambiguous, snide remarks daubed in paint directed at both private and public personalities, which in order to avoid being regarded as libellous are often veiled reference, very difficult to gauge for first-time visitors."

the dates for carnival in Gozo are given here as 17th to 28th Feb

http://www.gozo.gov.mt/showdoc.aspx?id=466&filesource=4&file=FEB06.pdf
Hi there :wave I know that Gozo has to be mentioned at least once in every thread :wink: and Mark does enforce this unwritten rule at every oppertunity :lol: but no one has mentioned the Carnival in Malta. It is getting close and I am wondering should I try to persuade hubby that it is a 'must do' thing or not? Has any one out there ever been to it and is it just in Valletta?
Hello charliegirl,

Two years ago I stumbled upon the carnival in Valletta when I lost my way driving from the airport to Buggiba. (It was only the second time that I had visited) I got lost in Valletta but eventually got to my destination two hours later!!!
The carnival is huge with many colorful floats. All the children and most adults were dressed up in fancy dress. By all accounts everyone with the exception of me was having a great time.
We said that somday we would return for the carnival but last year the weather was not that good and it looks like this year may also be the same.
Hi everyone, must admit on this occasion I am with Mark on this one, the Ghawdex karnival sounds much more interesting and mysterious, but if your reading this Mark is it only in Nadur or can you see it in Rabat ?.

Prosit
Sliema2
Hi Sliema2

the alternative carnival is only in Nadur - the ones in Rabat and Sannat are smaller versions of that held in Valletta

Mark
Grazzi Mark, Nadur sounds great right up our street.

Regards
Sliema2
some info re' this years carnival (weather permitting)
http://www.timesofmalta.com/core/article.php?id=215727
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.