Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
change to flights
120 Posts
if they do change it at least we have saved another £50 for our spends i i suppose it makes up for the inconvenienience of it
I am desperate to cancel and have a full refund of our holiday as our flight from Bristol to Varna is now going to Bourgas instead, and then a 2 hr transfer with two under 5's really late at night, which is not what we wanted. Balkan Holidays say there is no way we can have a refund as the change is not classed as a "significant change" when the airports are changed in Bulgaria, but we would be entitled to a full refund if they changed our airports in this country! Seems a bit daft really.

Also, our flight times have changed to 2 hrs earlier which is really awkward as my husband should still be in work then. But really Balkan Holidays attitude is TOUGH, nothing we can do about it!
Hi cornetjo,

Unfotunately, Paragraph 8 of their Booking Conditions, to which you had to agree when booking your holiday, appears to cover the situation in which you currently find yourselves.

"It may also be necessary to change your arrival/departure airport in Bulgaria from Varna to Bourgas and vice versa. In all such cases, transportation between the airport and your holiday accommodation will be provided."

AND

".....a change to the time of your departure or return of more than twelve hours."

Baldur
I know that Baldur, but I cant understand why they can say a change in this country is a significant change but a change in Bulgaria is not.
They can say what they want.

Whether what they say constitutes a fair & legal part of the contractual agreement is another matter - the type of question which tends to earn civil/consumer law practitioners their fees.

Baldur
I agree with you cornetjo, who always reads all the booking conditions.
(I know someone is going to say well you should).
I like you thought change of airport or more than a 12 hour flight time a refund would be given, as this is for most tour operators.
Balkan have this as part of there t/c because they know that once they have got your deposit there is little you can do.
What about our flight ?? they have got our deposit and got us on a flight that dosnt even exsist as yet so we know they are going to offload us ,probably onto a bourgas flight which will mean us losing a days holiday.
they cant even give us a flight home yet as they havnt got one they are going to phone me when they know what to do with us .
Idont know if this is because its a 10 night holiday or not.
Its very poor customer relations however you look at it.
Flight change here also......still talking to them (or rather RBS who we booked with).......wished now I had followed my initial gut feeling of not booking as Balkan were involved.
Lesson learnt!!!
Just got a letter from Balkan about our flight (Gatwick to Varna 25/5/07). They are putting our departure three days later due to "reduced capacity". But the scheduled flight from Bulgaria Air (thanks for the info Tonyt) is still on?!?
We are asking about their criteria for bouncing us (as we booked early enough to get a free child place).
A refund is option offered, but we are waiting to see their response before considering what to do.
Tonyeff, It is not only Balkan, First Choice are now announcing 13 days before flight that Airport of arrival will be Bourgas not Varna and you will be transported to Golden Sands/Albena. Where are you staying, arrive Albena 30th May. Tonyt
Hi Tony

Not great news about First Choice!! What is the transfer time from Bourgas to Varna and do you think this is just a change for early season?

So far we have accepted First Choice axing the kids club, we have even decided to go with the change of flight times which aren't ideal, but a change of airport as well could be a bridge too far!!

We go in August and to have to rebook elsewhere would not only cost us a lot, but a change of date causes all sorts of problems with add ons already booked such as parking, kennels, cattery etc.

Any info you have would be really useful. If I have to do battle, the earlier I start the better!!

Thanks a lot

Pam :(
Is this just a Bulgaria thing?
At least we are not being diverted to Bourgas. I understand it's a 2 hour+ transfer .
We are going to Golden Sands on 25th (orig. booking) / 28th (if we accept Balkan Holidays offer)
I am still waiting for balkan to give us a flight home.A week after she said they would definetly get back to us.
I think a lot of passengers will be changed from Varna to bourgas airport.
We are going on the 10th of august so they cant even blame it on the start of the season.
Does anyone know, why the airports are being changed? I am tempted to ring First Choice tomorrow and ask them what is going on. I really don't fancy a 2hr plus transfer with two kids in the early hours of the morning.

The reason Balkan Holidays gave is that they didnt know what would be happening until the beginning of the season when the flights would be confirmed, apparently they take bookings for both Varna and Bourgas airports, and then whichever is the fullest/most popular, they transfer the people from the other plane to fill the flight.

We were due to fly to Varna and stay at Golden Sands on 19th may from Cardiff, but had the airport changed to Bourgas. We dont land until 22.30 and I didnt fancy a 2hr+ transfer with 2 small children, so we have been forced into changing to Sunny Beach as it is closer to Bourgas. Not my ideal resort and I would have preferred to have cancelled altogether, but they would not allow it.

I just hope that Sunny Beach isn't as bad as I have been told it is!!
I have just checked our booking with First Choice on line. I had forgotten that our flight has also been shifted to a Thomas Cook one, but as yet is still showing as going into Varna.

I've had a quick look at the small print and I can see their get out clause for changing flight times but I can't immediately see anything about airports and therefore extended transfer times.

All I can do is wait, at least if they transfer the flight close to our departure date I can then try for a late deal. Not an ideal situation by any means.

is this with all airlines,, how will you know if your flight has been changed,,, sorry to act soft, but never flown before????
oh we fly with thomas cook
Hi Col73

I don't know how you find out in advance. I only found out about the change in our flight times because out of curiosity I looked at the new access your account bit on line. I queried it with FC who knew nothing, infact it hadn't been changed on their screens. This was about 4 months ago now and my letter informing me arrived last week!! So, I see little point in speaking to customer services yet- HT members are far more reliable and you can bet if the information is there someone will know about it.

I have to say I've never had problems as unsettling as this before. We had our flight to Mexico last year moved by 3 days, which did cause all sorts of problems, but all this not knowing is almost worse.

OK, have been trying some research today. Both First Choice and Thomas cook are still showing our flight as going into Varna. I have also checked the Birmingham airport site and the flight number is still listed. So for the time being I am going to try and stay positive. :lol:

I really don't want to rebook, for the hotel we are going to, booking now with less accomodation would cost us over £1000 more since we booked so early, so we would be looking at that plus more to go elsewhere. It would be cheaper to buy the kids nintendo DSs as a sweetener and go with the long transfer :roll:

Pam :D
keepupwith
when are you going in august and were are you staying.
we go 10th and are staying in the sofia apt.
we have day flights so far so dont mind as much going to bourgas airport, also child is 12 so not too much bother as yet(roll on the teens).
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.