Bulgaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Bulgaria
change to flights
120 Posts
Hi Deborah,

There were quite a few reports of Balkan Holidays changing/cancelling flights last year. I have personally had two flights from Varna to Cardiff rerouted via Belfast in the past, which also added significant time to those flights.

If Balkan doesn't receive sufficient bookings from particular airports, I suppose that it makes commercial sense for them to combine flights even if is inconvenient for their holidaymakers.

I only fly with scheduled airlines, where possible, these days.... :wink:
Baldur
Hi Deborah,

Sorry to hear this, you will not be alone.

I only wish Balkan Holidays would get a grip on reality and have a realistic flight schedule to start with. Every year they sell flights from the minor airports such as Newcastle, knowing full well they will not have enough clients for them to be viable.

Thus flights from the major airports such as Manchester are diverted to pick them up, and on the return home, the flight to Newcastle will be via Manchester.

Unfortunately they can do it because they are not changing your airport.

This is little consolation I know, but at least you now know why.

Peter
the annoying thing is that my sister and her husband wanted to book on the flight from manchester and they couldnt because it was full.
this was last year.
balkan knew they were going to re- route this flight as its full in manchester untill they drop off passengers in newcastle.
this information should have been on screen and then i wouldnt have booked.
it does say it on for the people flying from newxastle that on the way back they stop at manchester.
hopefully changing duration and airport (leeds /bradford) on monday.

9going from leeds
I agree with you it is very annoying. Our situation is slightly different, we are going with First Choice who have changed our flight times and carrier to Thomas Cook, the return flight is now a night flight, meaning that my husband will need an extra day off work. Had these been the advertised times when I booked I'm not sure that we would have done so. A risk of booking so far in advance I know but frustrating all the same!!

Pam :D
Hi All, If its any help, we have been going from East Midlands(Nottingham) for a number of years now and have never had a flight changed by Balkan.

8) Toonman
hi toonman
how come your the toonman and yet you fly from nottingham
toon airport not good enough :lol:
deborahj
we flew from newcastle to bourgas last year early sept and we got to see manchester airport(from the plane) for an hour and a half its great fun (not) but just relax and remember what lies ahead for you sun sea sand and nice COOL beer :wink:
enjoy
Hiya Happymackem, Unfortunately my job took me away from Newcastle many years ago and we now live between Birmingham and East Mids airports. Usually means we get decent deals and flights.
Going home to Newcastle for Easter though.

8) Toonman
Hi, we too received the same letter from Balkan - are you flying on 1st June? I am angry because we are flying with two small children and the normal flight is hard enough without sitting on the ground for over an hour as well. I have contacted Balkan who say there is nothing they can do - I asked from some money back as indirect flights are normally cheaper but they weren't having any of it. The annoying thing is if we the customer make even the smallest of changes after booking we have to pay for it. If anyone know if there is anything at all we can do I would be interested to hear. Even if they just gave us a goodwill gesture of say £50 but they don't seem to care.

Alpech
I'm afraid this is Blakan for you .......we have been the last 4 yrs with them only the first year had no changes, Airport,flight times,hotel,dates of holiday changed.......thing is I found out most of these changes before Balkan informed me........I have never had a penny back off them.

DOA
Hi All, We too have been messed about by Balkan, had a letter on Saturday changing our flight, now going to be flying into Bougas instead of Varna, so a 2 hour coach ride on top. I phoned the tour operater we booked with, she phoned Balkan and although they say there's nothing we can do she did manage to get us £20 compensation each. All the same i wish Balkan would get there act together.
Hi every one i have just been notofied of my flight change i am flying to varna (going to albena in september) i was due to fly the 14th from manchester but balken have changed this flight to incorperate newcastle that i am not happy about as i have a hypo 5 year old on her first ever flight i have contacted my travel agent and i have managed to change my flight to the 15th from east midlands but i am returning to via manchester but we are allowed to get off there this has incurred a extra cost which has really annoyed me. I could have flown direct from sheffield but this is a late night arrival but i didn't want that. so all in all i am not happy and this is my first ever holiday to bulgaria. i am hoping this is not a omen
Hi I found out today that my flight from Liverpool to Bourgas on 31st August is now being rerouted to exeter to pick people up on the way, i rang them to complain that they have not told us but they were not bothered, so now i have changed my flights for the same date and time but flying from manchester instead and it is slightly cheaper
I have spoken to balkan and hopefully we are now flying out from Newcastle but arriving back to manchester.
this is so i dont have to take off and land twice in two hours :cry: .
I do agree that the agents should inform people before they book or let you cancell your holiday if they change your flight so drastic eg flying to another airport and adding two hours onto a journey.
oh i forgot to say we are going on the 10th of august, for ten nights.
deborah

were you originally flying out from manchester
yes we had booked from manchester.
I dont like flying but especially going up, so this is why i wanted to change.
I am still waiting for tracy from balkan to rearrange the flight out.
I would rather do a two hour trip from batley than be on the plane all that time.
They are doing the same as they have done in previous years, list all the airports, get your bookings, then merge flights. A Pal of mine has just been told 4th May flight from Gatwick, is a no go, the have off loaded him onto Bulgaria Air schedule flight, Tonyt
Aah Aah, Curses. I spoke too soon. After saying we have never had a change of flight from Balkan a dreaded letter arrived today stating our flight times have changed and we will be travelling to Manachester from East Mids to pick up/drop off their cancelled flight.
We go out on the 1st Sept for 2 weeks.

:evil: Toonman
From all these posts it obvious its not just a couple of flights that they have changed the arrangements on. Surely there must be something we can do, are they not falsely advertising these packages? Maybe it should be taken to the Advertising Standards Agency? If one or two flights weren't booked up then I understand but like someone said early in the posts they just seem to pull you into a deal you think suits you and then they change the plans. I am very disappointed with Balkan and it makes me really angry to see they are messing so many of us about, especially those of us with small children and those that don't like flying.

Alpech
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.