General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I think we all know how important it is to get insurance and whether we are asked to provide the details to the TOs is besides the point of this thread. What I think we all need to know is if we are now required to provide them at check-in. If we are, surely we should be informed when we get our tickets, if not before :que
If there is a new requirement to present insurance documents at check in, it does not appear to be displayed on the Thomas Cook website. Documents which you require to take with you are listed as tickets, passport, visa (if applicable) and travel insurance policy. But documents required at check in are listed only as tickets and passport.

David :wave
When did this take effect? I flew with them to Turkey 3 weeks ago and wasn't asked to produce my insurance documents and I wasn't either when I went to Cuba 6 months ago.

As far as Cuba is concerned this has only been introduced very recently - certainly only within the last few months and it didn't apply 6 months ago. This is my first trip since it was introduced so I'll be interested to see how strictly it is applied at Cuban Immigration which can already be time consuming at Holguin without this!

SM
Hi
I have just received my confirmation of booking from t.c. going to mexico. On the letter it just states with an axtrix that we have informed them that we have taken out our own holiday insurance and that they have no liability towards us and left us a place to sign.

Michelle
Well I have tried to ring them again but got sick of being kept on hold so am yet to query what I was told by them yesterday.

Just to add that I also have the paperwork for this years holiday and next years aswell saying that I have my own insurance but yesterday I was asked specifically by them who my insurers actually were and then told that I must produce the document at check in.

Shirley H has hit the nail on the head yes it's perfectly acceptable for us to have to have insurance but they really need to tell us before hand that they want to see documents, crazy as it is but many of us have our insurance linked through bank accounts so we don't actually have a document as such.

I am hoping it was just an over the top assistant who was prehaps trying to sell me their own insurance as he did also ask if I had car parking arranged :think but at the same time if this was the case then it's completely wrong to give me incorrect information.
Stardust2000 wrote:
Shirley H has hit the nail on the head yes it's perfectly acceptable for us to have to have insurance but they really need to tell us before hand that they want to see documents, crazy as it is but many of us have our insurance linked through bank accounts so we don't actually have a document as such.

Leaving aside Thomas Cook check in for the moment, this raises the separate issue of being unable to provide evidence of insurance to an overseas clinic or hospital in the event of an emergency. Some will only provide treatment on a cash or credit card basis, if you cannot provide a valid EHIC (if applicable) or travel insurance policy or certificate. I also have travel insurance through my bank account and I was provided with a 65 page policy booklet upon opening the account, which has to be taken on holiday with me. Other banks and policies may vary, but it would be worth checking with your insurer if you should have some documentation, and if you have none, perhaps ask them what you should do in an emergency if you are required to provide evidence of insurance and are unable to contact them by phone.

I am very surprised to see that many people just seem to take their policy number and emergency contact numbers with them rather than the full policy. Unless you have memorised the whole policy, I would be very surprised if anyone could remember what they were actually covered for and the correct procedure in the event of an emergency or a potential claim.

We always take the full policy booklet and letter confirming our cover in our hand luggage as well as a small card with the emergency numbers which I keep in my purse.

luci :wave
I always carry our Insurance Documents in my hand luggage, don't ask me why as I have never been asked to produce it :) I will continue to do so now having read this thread!
I always used to take my insurance documents with me, until I started buying on-line. I now get an e-mail validating my insurance (containing policy number and emergency telephone number) with a link to my policy document. As it is pages long, I haven't bothered printing it out but in the light of this discussion I might consider it.

I e-mailed my insurers explaining that I needed a copy of my document and received a no fuss duplicate copy by e-mail this afternoon. They wre most helpful and didn't charge me for the duplicate copy ;)
I have annual insurance which will cover me for my summer holiday. However I have just changed my bank account, and have European coverage free now through them . However I don't have any documentation to prove this. I presume now that I'l have to ask my bank to provide me with the neccesary proof.
I think you should Helen, I personally would be reluctant to travel abroad without having evidence of insurance with me. If you haven't already done so, you should check out the terms of the policy too and make sure it provides adequate cover. Some of the free bank account policies are very basic, and some cover may only be applicable if you use the card associated with that account to pay for the holiday.

No you don't need any actual documents to make a claim at a hospital though or you certainly did'nt in my case a couple of years back. You ring/fax/email the insurer to claim and they provide the hospital with authorisation or the hospital contact them on your behalf.

My policy number is my bank account number and as the bank themselves actually told me the paperwork would be like carrying a book around the contact details and policy number(ie account number) are all I need. When buying my Mothers insurance last year from a company online all I had was a piece of paper to take with me with a policy number on and contact details for the insurer.

I appreciate what you're saying Luci but at the same time in the event of an emergency/accident you don't have time to read through pages of garble as the first thing you do is pick up the phone to seek emergency assistance. Maybe later while sitting in the hospital you may read through but you would not be checking what you're covered for when in immense pain and needing help. I read the garble before I go make sure I'm covered for what I need to be and make sure I can contact them.
and as the bank themselves actually told me the paperwork would be like carrying a book around

Funny how topics always mange to get around to Terms & Conditions. The important thing is that people actually take time to read their policy and know what is not covered. You might take it with you but then you leave it in the hotel when you get out and about. Bit late in the day when you bungee jump of a cliff and then ask yourself does my insurance cover me for this just before the rope breaks.

fwh
I have never carried my policy around with me apart from on one touring holiday when I had to show that I was covered for repatriation if seriously injured (sub standard/non existent medical facilties in the country I was touring) and then I just took a letter from the company that stated I would be flown home in the event of a medical emergency. In fact when I first took out the policy I was told by the Ins. company to leave insurance documents with a relative/friend when travelling and just take all relevent phone numbers/policy numbers etc. with me. I've had an annual policy with the same company for many years now and I do know though what I am covered for.
Here in Germany it's still a matter of choice whether you take out insurance or not and when I'm hopping around different European countries I just carry my EHIC with me.
I did notice that on my next holiday to Oman which is with a British tour company that I had to provide details of my insurance but nowhere on the terms and conditions does it state that I have to show documents. The flight is with a scheduled airline though and they aren't interested in whether you have insurance or not.
Just to eventually update this one as getting through to Thomas Cook at times is far easier said than done :think

The answer is no you do not need to produce the insurance documents at check in and as long as you have a policy number and emergency contact numbers on you that's perfectly fine. I guess I was right that the guy I spoke to the other week was basically only trying to sell me what I already have anyway..very naughty!
I can't believe many people seem to accept a bank inclusive insurance policy but have no idea what they are actually covered for and just accept the fact that as they pay for it every month they will be OK. So what if the policy is the size of a book- you are paying for it you need to know the terms of the contract you are entering into. In my experience travel insurance is no more than 5 or 6 pages, if it was the size of a book I'd avoid it - far too much small print to consider I suspect this is a bank fob off to stop you considering if the cover is adequate for your needs.

Which! did a report a few months ago about such policies and the holes in them can be glaring which means they can offer very poor value for money.

Some require you to advise the insurance company every time you book a holiday, if you don't you may not be covered (especially for cancellations), some exclude holidays such as cruising, activities may be included, but small print may still catch you out. Example if you hire a bike you must also wear a helmet.

Insurance is a minefield, companies are losing money hand over fist so will look for a reason not to pay. Ensure your cover is adequate and you understand it.
I can't believe many people seem to accept a bank inclusive insurance policy but have no idea what they are actually covered for
it's not just bank policies, few people check any policy beyond the price.
With reference to Bank Account linked policies - my document is a 'book' but that is because it details all the other insurances/extras that come with the account. I agree that you wouldn't want to take it all with you on holiday - just cut out the pages relevant to the insurance policy and take those with you.
Just to clarify that the insurance that I have with my bank account is indeed perfectly acceptable, I do know what I am covered for and it does indeed do the job because I have claimed before. Just because you don't carry a book around with you does not mean that you don't care about the level of insurance that you and your family have or that you don't understand what you have.

This thread has nothing at all to do with people not knowing what they're covered for it was about Thomas Cook appearing to want you to have the full documents with you. You don't in any shape or form need to carry this information with you to obtain emergency treatment all you need is the policy number and emergency contact details.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.