Greece - Rhodes Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Rhodes.
Most of the island shuts down in october. I think a few hotels are open in the winter but not all.90% of the tourist shops are closed for the winter and direct flights are few and far between.I go over at Christmas to stay with friends and always have to fly via Athens. The weather is changeable, not really cold but can get very windy and sometimes there's quite heavy rain.Much as I love the island I wouldn't recommend it as a Christmas destination.
Cyprus would be a better choice if you need your 'greek fix' around Christmas. As Anne says Rhodes isn't really a holiday destination after October. If you're determined Rhodes Town will be your best option as a few hotels open all year and you'll find a few bars and restaurants open.
Why does Rhodes close down after october, i thought it could have many pleasent days and geographically not far north of Cyprus on as amatter of latitude. :(
No idea why but most of the islands "shut down" for the winter.Everywhere , even the smallest village is festooned with Christmas lights and they really make an effort but-----no tourists.I believe there is the odd charter flight but they are very few and far between.
You can't blame them for 'closing down' for Christmas - a religious holiday anyway- I'm sure after playing "mine host" for 7 months a year 7 days a week they all deserve a break, to recharge their batteries for the next season.
Also in some islands the 'locals' go back to Athens for the winter.

You could consider Athems for a trip ? You can still get flights there?
I agree, Greeklass. My friends have a bar in Rhodes and always heave a sigh of relief at the end of the season.
:? Why doesn't spain shut down then?
I just think it's a matter of getting there, you can fly to most parts of Spain all year and I for one would go to Crete in December/January if it wasn't such a journey and I think a lot more people would.
Rick
You can still get there but you have to fly via Athens and it can be expensive. I've been there out of season as i lived on the island for a while but it's certainly not tourist friendly between November - March/April. It's fine for exploring but you won't find any tourist restaurants, bars or shops, just the few frequented by locals.
I'm going at the end of november----via Athens, but isn't it nice to be a "local" for a while!!? :lol:
INDEED :D
I always felt a bit more special being there out of season and it improves your greek when very few people are speaking english!
Hello,

I know that the Lardos Village and Gennadi (both in the south) are open all year round as I have friends there. A lot of British people who work in the resorts of Pefkos & Lindos live in these areas too. The weather can get cold at night and windy but you do get your fair share of nice warm days, typical of an english summer.

I hope you enjoy it.

Take Care

Jing.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.