Spain - All Other Costas, Inland Areas Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding all Spanish areas not covered.
Costa de la Luz
38 Posts
Bob, They're not cold winds as they're usually from Africa so they don't affect the temprature at all and no - nothing like the UK :lol:

John, have you got accommodation sorted? If you need any help PM me, I have a villa with private pool to rent but I also know my way around the resorts and most hotels, apartments etc.
hi jan

thanks for your offer. at the moment we are thinking more about staying at a complex because we think our 4 year old daughter would be more likely to meet some playmates. however we have discovered something which might make some aspects of our holiday a little tricky - a lot of places that we have looked at and enquired about have pools that only open in mid-june and we arrive on the 7th. can you clarify this? is this throughout the whole costa de la luz? that's one week out of two potentially pool-less...

we are looking at a couple of apartments on the aldea del coto resort. do you know much about this resort in terms of location/reputation/suitability for families etc. are things really deserted quiet in june or just not too busy?

didn't pm you yet as i thought a couple of these questions migh be relevant to other posters.

thanks again

john
Ah yes, forgot about that - Spanish maintained pools are generally only open mid june - mid September and I do believe that the only exceptions to this are some of the big hotels and private pools.

It is strange because we swim in ours from Easter to October although early and late season isn't always for the faint hearted! I think by mid May the water is usually very pleasant and the weather.

Aldea de Coto is a new complex which looks very nice and has a few bars and shops nearby and is on the outskirts of La Barrosa - maybe a few minutes drive form the resort centre and nearer than that to the sea. I do believe one of the few English owned bars is on or very near that complex.

As for how busy it will be, it depends on what you call busy! I wouldn't think it will be deserted and everything will be open.

I have to stick to school hols so the nearest I get to June is the late May bank holiday and I love that time of year.

Down in Novo Sancti Petri the outdoor seating for the restaurants is busy enough to have an atmosphere but doesn't have the crush that you can find in say August which can make it very nice for young children on an evening.

If it was up to me, I'd take my summer holidays in June or early July every year but I suppose that's just my personal preference.
is novo sacti petri in chiclana or just nearby? is alde de coto kind of outside of or on the outskirts of the town/village? if you had to recommend a place where would it be? are there outdoor municipal pools that we could use? sorry about this - the more questions you answer the more i seem to have!
Questions are not a problem but I hope I'm not confusing you further jbs!!

Right - Chiclana is the town and the centre is about 5 -10 mins from the coast, the seaside resorts are in the chiclana District and come under Chiclana local authority - so that's where the confusion comes. You wouldn't really stay in Chiclana itself for a holiday and most properties for rent are on the coast.

The main resorts are La Barrosa and Novo Sancti Petri. La Barrosa is a very spanish seaside resort and not much English is spoken.

next door (running into one another really and sharing the same 6km gorgeous beach) is Novo Sancti Petri which is a modern purpose built Golfing resort. This is more international really and whilst it is predominantly spanish you will find most restaurants now have an english speaking waiter and they are getting more used to British tourists.

Most visitors to the area say that Novo has a more upmarket feel than La Barrosa but I think personally it is more spanish vs international, although we do tend to associate golf in that way don't we?

I love both resorts so it's probably personal choice. the people there are very friendly and both resorts are very much family orientated with no lager louts etc associated with some of the other costas.

Aldea del Coto is not really a resort in itself it's more a district of La barrosa. It is newly built as alot of the property is in the area and there are shops/bars/restaurants in the immediate area with the main resorts in easy reach

Don't be misled into thinking this place isn't an established tourist destination. The spanish have been holidaying here for years it's just that the Brits have only discovered it recently.

As regards pools - the outdoor pools will all have the same open season (around the 15th June) but I have heard that the hotels are happy to let you use theirs if you're buying drinks and the big hotels in Novo are of the 4 & 5 star variety with lovely large pools and from many of them it's just a short walk through the sand dunes to beach so they are really nice!

There's alot of tourist info on the area on the

http://www.costa-luz-holiday.com website and also the link to the video I posted earlier might give you an idea about the area.

I would post a photo of the beach but I don't know how to-sorry
Hi

We are travelling to Isla Canela in August. Can anyone recommend a reliable car hire company to check out?

Many Thanks

Deb
Hi Deb, which airport are you flying into?
We fly into Faro but have got transport to our hotel. We are staying at the Riu Atlantico and wanted to hire a car a few days into our stay until the day before we return. Ideally, a company nearby or which could deliver and collect from the hotel.

Thanks
Sorry Deb, I can't be precise. I do know that there is a car hire company by the marina but I don't know it's name!

Maybe someone else will be a bit more helpful :oops:
Thanks very much
My wife and i are going to Isla Canela on the 4th June with Thomson. We normally go to Tenerife and fancied a change. Just wondering if anyone could answer these questions.
1: How long is the flight from Manchester to Faro?
2: Who are the European Air Charter who we are flying with on behalf of Thomson(and are they good)?
3: How long is the taxi transfer from Faro to Isla Canela.
4: What is the resort in Isla Canela or near the Riu Atlantico like?
5: What will the temperature be (approx)?
6: What things must we see or do in the Costa?

Also please add any info you may feel might be of use.
Thanks.
Bob
Debs, there is a car hire company at Punta del Moral Marina - Europcar - when getting a quote off their website your pick up area is Isla Canela. Haven't used them as we always get a car at Faro. You could also try Crown Car Hire, they are based throughout Spain and do an all inclusive rate (no nasty surprises when returning the car) having said that I've used them twice out of Seville airport and found the cars to be a bit ropey to say the least - may well have been unlucky.

Bearing in mind that you will have a hire car for the majority of your stay, why not get a quote from econcomy car hire for collecting a car from the airport, may not be that much more expensive and the drive from Faro to Isla Canela is very straight forward and about 45 minutes. Regards, Scoya.
Bob, I don't know Isla Canela at all so can't help you with most of your questions - sorry!

However, I would recommend Seville as a daytrip to anyone in the area. I think it is a beautiful city and well worth a visit. Take a carraige ride for a leisurely way to see the main places of interest when time is short and take time out for a Tapas lunch at one of the cafes in the centre. Just look for a popular one and head there!

Tapas del dia usually gets you a selection of about 5 dishes which is a great way to try it if you've never done so before!

Hope you have a great stay!
Wonder if anyone can help, particularly those of you who have homes in the area. I am in the process of buying a house on the Costa Esuri development near Ayamonte. The time will come when I'll be spending lengths of time there and would like to take my miniature daschund with me. Having great trouble finding out which airlines into Seville or Faro accept animals and an approximate cost. I was quoted £790 (yes, 790 !) by one airline and much as I love my dog, this seems insane ! An option is to drive obviously but if I want to fly .......
Any help appreciated with thanks in advance!
Hi Tissiwallis, GB Airways (BA) fly into Faro from LGW and LHR (LHR is May to October I believe), they for sure will accepts animals. Iberia fly LGW into Seville as does their "cheaper" sister company Click Air.

Other airlines flying direct from the UK are: EasyJet (FAO & SVQ), Ryanair (SVQ).

Good luck, Scoya
Thanks for that info Scoya - I'll check them all out and hopefully find something more reasonable than £790!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.