Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Ive been wanting to go to Croatia for a long time as well. We are going on 26th June and staying at the Park Hotel in Rovinj, I cant wait, looks fab.
thinking of croatia for summer hols.we went five years ago and stayed in porec then returned to rovinj.both were lovely.can anyone who has been recently give me an idea of prices now?we were hb and i seem to remember lager £1.80 pint,wine £5 bottle.cant remember the prices for meals.has it gone up much?
thanks
sorry to ask this question again but can anyone give me an idea of the average cost of a meal and drinks,beer and wine.haven't been for a few years and would like to go this summer
thanks
sue
There's a topic on VisitCroatiaForum that Croatia is getting more expensive year on year, and is now a rip off. Taking inflation into account, has anyone found this to be true?
We're going in 2 weeks, and I'm now wondering how much spending money to take.
How much is wine, beer, main course evening meal, petrol etc.?
Thanks.
Unfortunately I can't give you up to date info as we went this time LAST year. But we did find that the prices were not particularly cheap, especially in comparison with Slovenia. The good thing is that there are plenty of ATMs (including one at Dubrovnik airport) so you can get cash practically on demand. When cruise ships dock at Dubrovnik, the prices go up substantially!!
we went last year too - and found it quite cheap - although we live in London so anthwhere else is cheap - but a fantastic seafood meal with wine cost us in the region of £30 - which i think is pretty good. local wine and beer was also cheap
Does anyone have any idea how much a carton of 200 duty free cigarettes costs in Croatia? Just the normal ciggies like Benson and Hedges or Embassy.
PS Not for me for a friend :lol: I dont have any bad habits :P
We bought cigarettes at Pula airport to take back for friends, and 200 cost roughly £13. I think they were Lambert & Butler.
Thanks Tishtosh thats great :D
a fantastic seafood meal with wine cost us in the region of £30
One portion for £30 :?: :shock: :? It isn't remotely cheap...

Actually, it all depends on where you have your meal. When traveling to Eastern Europe, I usually tend to eat in places where they do national cuisine - as a rule it's cheaper and more interesting. I wouldn't call Croatia expensive.

The most important thing is not to walk with a silly smile :lol: on the face and a camera hung above your belly. Croatia is a very multilingual and multicultural country. If you can speak a little Italian or German, you can easily pretend you're not a tourist - I can tell you - this approach is a much much cheaper way to get around.

By the way, if going to Croatia, do it in August. There is a spectacular festivities on 5th of August. They're celebrating the Victory Day. Then there's a place called Sinj (find it on google maps or anywhere else). Be there on 15th of August for the Sinjka Alka - it's a historic festival of knights and medieval competition. Aah, that's a tremendous sight!!!
"One portion for £30 It isn't remotely cheap..."

sorry - this was a meal for 2......

"The most important thing is not to walk with a silly smile on the face and a camera hung above your belly. Croatia is a very multilingual and multicultural country. If you can speak a little Italian or German, you can easily pretend you're not a tourist - I can tell you - this approach is a much much cheaper way to get around."

rubbish
Well we're back from Croatia now, and found the prices very reasonable. In fact, we found one or two places extremely cheap in eat in. A meal (local goulash with dumplings mmmm!) for the two of us with wine for less than £10 in one place, and the largest plates of pasta and risotto with wine in another for less than £15. Of course we did go to other places which were more expensive (can't think why after finding the cheaper ones!) but prices weren't extortionate. I would say that we always got value for money.

I can't understand why food would be cheaper if you speak in Italian or German. The price on the menu is the price on the menu. I do have a smattering of Italian, enough to order food and drink, and it didn't make any difference as far as I can tell. The staff were always friendly, no matter if I spoke English, Croatian (good day, please, thanks etc.) or Italian.
tish tosh can you give me an idea of the prices for a bottle of wine and a pint of lager? we have been to croatia twice about five years ago and was thinking of going again in september,wondered if the prices of drinks had gone up much
thanks
Hi Bushbaby,

The beer was about 15 Kuna a bottle.
Hubby and I have been trying to remember how much the wine was, but can't really remember (obviously had too much of it to drink!). Suffice to say that a carafe of house wine we think cost about 50 Kuna. As for the bottles, they were more or less the same as here. It depended on what type you bought and what kind of restaurant you were in.
I'm sorry I haven't been much help. We've been wracking our brains over the weekend but just can't remember. I think it's because we went to so many different places to eat, it's all just a blur now.
As we had never been before, we had nothing to compare the prices to, but we do know that we got excellent value for money.
I'm sure the prices have gone up since your last visit, but that's inflation for you!
Hi,

Me and a group of mates have narrowed down a holiday next year to possibly Croatia and just wondered if anyone has any information on Makarska for us, and what we can expect? It sounds from what I've read so far that it's one of the more lively places in Croatia which is exactly what we want, a bit of a jolly up without the club 18-30 chavs mouthing off everywhere.

Cheers!

:D
I loved Croatia, but I didnt think it was very cheap for drinks, compared with Spain, Greece etc.
We were there about a month ago and a diet coke and glass of white wine cost about £3.50. It would cost the same in the UK.
Wouldnt put me off returning to Croatia, I absolutely loved it.
I think it depends what area you go to....we went to Trogir last year, and Dubrovnik a couple of months ago - and Dubrovnik was much dearer
We're just back, stayed near Cavtat. Eating out can be quite expensive depending where you choose. The wine is very expensive everywhere. The most expensive we had cost £24.00 and the cheapest we could find was £10.00 which was the house wine and pretty awful.

Having said that it is a lovely place and well worth it. After all if you want cheap you could go to Bulgaria. I've never been but I'm sure it can't be as pretty as Croatia and Dubrovnik is fantastic.
Hello
This is a post for my mum and dad. They are thinking of doing a travelshere holiday to croatia - discover croatia but are worried that the price and the details seem to good to be true!!! Basically its £440 for 8 days half board staying at either Hotel Narcis, Hedera or Mimosa. Does anyone have any details about any of these hotels or the holiday itself? Any help would be great - cheers.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.