Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Dengue fever
11 Posts
Don't get bitten by mosquitoes. :D
What is Dengue fever? Do you catch it from mossies?
It is all over the news here and there have been quite a few deaths in Delhi due to Dengue.
Also doing the rounds is a similar fever called "chickengunya", I know of a couple of people in Goa that have had it but thankfully are ok now. It seems to be affecting Kerela mostly.

GFF xx
Hi GFF

Can't seemed to access your links.

Spottiswoode
Spottiswoode - not sure what the problem was so I deleted them.

If you Google "Chickengunya", you'll get loads of stuff on it.

GFF xx
Seems some thing like I feel after to many King fishers and Bacadi and cokes :glynis :omg
funny that coke effects lot of people
That's just what I was thinking :lol: couldn't blame the beer or the Bacardi could I :rofl :rofl :rofl

Alan
Chikungunya alledgedly doesn't kill, although one particular area is reporting 5 deaths a day.

Yellow Fever, Dengue & Chikungunya are carried by the Aedes mosquito - black & white stripes, malaria by the Anopheles in case you wondered, and I think they are a reddy colour.

Aedes bite during the day, Anopheles during twilight & hours of dark.

I have very rarely had problems with mosquitos during the day in Goa, it's a twilight thing BUT I have splatted plenty of black & white striped mosquitos - read into that what you will .

I think Karnataka has the biggest local incidence of Chikengunya but it's like 20,000 cases per annum out of a population of 44 million, less than half a percent.

Kerala is or was on the verge of a Dengue epidemic but all that means is that significantly more cases than usual have been reported.

Only females bite! Now why doesn't that surprise me?

Both home in on body heat and CO2 so stay cool and try not to breathe out.

Either light or dark clothes also attract them, can't remember which so that's probably not much help.

Just follow the advice re mosquitos generally and keep your fingers crossed. You would be incredibly unlucky to catch either Dengue or Malaria for that matter in Goa but it is a risk. I would think you are far, far more likely to get hurt in a road accident, stung by a jelly fish, or run over by some lunatic on a jet ski than bitten by a moody Mossi in Goa.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.