Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
You need to check with your doctor, I believe the vaccination can only be administered at special clinics and should be given at least 10days before travel. But your doctor is the personto go to for medical advice.
It's not compulsory, but it is recommended. We got it done when we went even though it meant a 70 mile round trip to the clinic.

luci :wave
Just been to the nurse to discuss injections and yellow fever injection is recommended for Kenya - cost for us is £40 each.
If you are put off by the cost of the vaccination, remember it's your life we are talking about. Exotic holidays often entail supplementary vaccinations and tablets, and the cost should be factored into your holiday budget.

Be sensible, stump up and get yourself jabbed.
We had every intention of getting our injections completed no matter what the cost.

Apparently the Yellow Fever vaccine can leave some side effects I have read. What with that and the maleria tabs :cry
I didn't have any propblem with the Yellow Fever jab. We did find it paid to shop around though. My surgery couldn't give them , one we tried was asking £100 each. We paid £50 elsewhere.
They last for 10 years so good value in the long run and we are not prepared to gamble with our health.
At our local health centre (which is a yellow fever centre) the jab is £42. Ring around your local NHS doctors, to find which one of them is a yellow fever centre, and then book to have your jab there. You do not need to be registered at that doctors to have the jab.

Denny
Get it. I went to Kenya without and was then invited to stay with a couple who were working with the WHO in Uganda. Yellow Fever was compulsary and I had to have the jab in a 'shed' on the border. You just never know and it lasts 10 years anyway.
My wife wanted to go to Kenya in 2010 for the safari,but at 62 she has been advised NOT to have the Yellow Fever jab as it can have adverse affects when you are over 60,she is really dissapointed but heath is more important.
We recently had yellow fever vaccine for a visit to the Gambia at our GPs. We were given an information sheet about the disease and the vaccine. It didn't state anything about age, although there are some health reasons where it was advised against. Did your own GP or travel nurse advise that you didn't have it due to age? How about trying to get a second opinion?
We did not suffer any side effects.
Hi Alfie,yes it was my wifes doctor who explaned the side affects she could get with the jab,not too bad for me as I only needed the booster.My sister who was a ward sister at St James in Leeds also explained that it can have adverse effects when you are over 60. If you google it on the net it also explains that over 60 you can have problems.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.