Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
Thank you!
Looking at that info it looks as though my Practice Nurse is quite correct. However my sister and bro in law are in a real flap, completely determine that I will not be able to enter the country without it.
Although vaccination against yellow fever for travellers to Tanzania is not advised your sister is correct about people being vaccinated at the airport.
There have been quite a few reports recently of a health/government employee being stationed at the airport checking to see if arriving travellers have a YF Vaccination certificate. Those not having a certificate have been pulled out and sent for vaccination. Not everyone is checked so you could quite easily not be asked for proof of vaccination. see http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293747-i9226-k6446789-o40-Yellow_Fever_vaccination_requirement_for_entry_into_Tanzania-Tanzania.html
Katielind, are you flying direct from the UK into Dar es Salaam? If you are then according to the High Commission website you won't need a Yellow Fever certificate. However if you are stopping over or transiting through a country where Yellow Fever is endemic then you will. You can find a list of those countries that the Tanzanian authorities require travellers arriving from to have a valid Yellow Fever certificate here

http://tanzaniahighcommission.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=73

If there is the chance that I would be required to have the vaccination at the airport on arrival, personally I would prefer to have it here before I left. It can leave you feeling extremely rough and could spoil the first few days of your holiday.

SM
It is my understanding that it is ONLY those passengers arriving from countries that are Yellow Fever endemic areas or passengers that have transited through such a countryand spent more than 12 hours in transit in that region.

A direct flight from the UK shouldn't be an issue :tup
That's the problem, some people on direct flights from the USA , Australia etc. have been told they have to have vaccinations. Which is probably what Katie's family in TZ have heard about.
We had it when we went to Tanzania, although we were in the Serengeti and the Nogorogro crater. The flys that carried it were all over our jeep :yikes so was glad we had it, might be different in the towns.

It didn't make us feel rough, it was the typhoid one that made us feel ill for a couple of days.
Hi guys, thanks for your replies. Yes I am flying directly to Dar, well via Amsterdam, but last time checked it was free from yellow fever lol!
I'm not keen to have ANY unnecessary vaccines so that's why I thought I would check. I'm staying with family right on the coast at Dar, and as my sister will have a four week old baby we won't be doing much and certainly won't be going off to the likes of Zanzibar.
It's a little confusing though. And does make me wonder what would happen to someone who had booked a holiday, sought vaccine advice, then travelled, only to be refused entry until they had accepted vaccine at the airport. I would be livid.
My brother in law works in Dar so they are on work visa's and have just got their residency so I wonder if it's because they aren't on tourist visas??
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.