Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
There are NO direct flights showing between the UK and Cleveland.

The main carriers serving Cleveland from the UK (based on flights out of London) are:-

Air Canada
Continental
Delta
United
US Air

They all fly to hubs in North America and require you to change planes. Sometimes you can get away with just one flight change, others two.

US Air seems to be happy to get you to change at their main US airport, Charlotte (CLT) in North Carolina.

Air Canada offers a change at Toronto (YYZ) ... where I think you can also pass US immigration controls saving time at your eventual destination.

Continental favours a transfer and change of plane at their main airport - Newark Liberty (EWR)

Delta and United seem to have a wide variety of US entry hubs ... and sometimes more than one internal flight to complete your journey.

With the exception of US Air which uses London Gatwick (LGW), all the other airlines use London Heathrow (LHR).

Once you try to add on flights from Liverpool, the websites of all the airlines go a bit berserk ... and the only one to react positively to this change put the price of an outward leg up from £400-ish from London to £3000 from Liverpool. This is not a bad joke. You need to consider getting to London by other methods and then booking your flight ex London.

If you decide to use any sort of feeder flight from Liverpool to London, note that this is very likely to be considered as a separate booking with a different reference number. The disadvantages of that are that you will not have any sort of guaranteed connection or help if you arrive too late from one flight for another one, and the baggage amounts for your domestic sector will be substantially different from the amount allowed for your transatlantic flight (including the onward domestic sector). You will also have to collect your baggage at London, complete transfer formalities and recheck in your luggage which could make your flight time substantially longer and give you a lot more stress because of the ground formalities involved.

Hope this helps as a starting point ...
American Airlines fly from Manchester connecting in New York, just had a quick look prices start from £478pp.
There are no direct flights to Cleveland from anywhere in Europe, the airport's own website claims a grand total of 6 international destinations, 3 in Canada and 3 in the Carribean.

The fare from Heathrow would be cheaper than from Manchester but you'd lose most of that in getting down there - not to mention the hassle.

Continental seem to be the fastest from Manchester (by about 2 -4 hours) but fares in April would be about £530 return.

And no, Liverpool isn't worth looking at. Birmingham would offer an option but dearer than Manchester and London.
Thank you everybody. I think I will just stick to Manchester then. I'll give Continental a look, not viewed their site. Been looking at AA.

I was expecting cost to be around the 450-500 mark.

Much appreciated everybody.x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.