General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
if you mean UK papers then the answer is no [I dont even buy them here at home except on saterday for the OH favorite tv listing supliment..the rest goes in recycling] but on holiday i often [provided one is available] buy the local english paper to find out whats going on and if there is anything i might fancy seeing/dooing

wizard
I do usually buy a paper , then when I am finished pass on to someone else to read, or read the handmedown from another holidaymaker. I like to have a nosey about what is going on - but funny enough I don't buy a daily paper at home I never have time to read. I guess that's the point on holiday I have to read and enjoy a paper, but at home I only buy one at the week-end.

Good topic Shirley
my hubby buys a paper everyday when on holiday be it abroad or at home , for the crossword, he says its not the same as buying a crossword puzzle book, he does put the tv on but again i think thats out of routine , for background noise rather than just sit watching it , we are never in the apartment or hotel room long enough , and we do go to a bar to watch a game of football depending who is playing
The only time I buy a British newspaper is on the Ferry when I'm on my way to the UK to visit my family. When I'm in any other English speaking country I usually buy a local paper as I find it's a way of finding out what is happening in the country I am visiting. Same with TV when I'm on holiday it's often the only way I can find out things that will affect my holiday i.e. Ash Cloud last year and protests in Bangkok two years ago.

Judith
In a word Shirley No :) For a start I think they are to expensive :( Plus as I said on the tv thread I can cope without not knowing all the bad things that are going on in the world for a week or two
Don't buy one as a rule but if we are away during a big football weekend I am sometimes tempted to get one on a Sunday for the results and tables.

We have holidayed through several big news stories (such as the floods in Cumbria the year before last) and had no idea of events until we got back to the UK.
We don't buy a newspaper on holiday in Goa, but our hotel provides the local papers, in english, which we always read, to find out what is happening, and places to visit.

xx lassi
Abroad - no, but if on holiday in this country every day, even though we don't do so when at home :que
I do admit to buying a newspaper on holiday, but would never buy one at home. I dont buy one each day, but maybe every 2 days and no, I dont mind the expense. The paper is usually a day late anyway so any news is a day late but I do enjoy sitting cross legged on a sunbed with a paper first thing on a morning with a cuppa when im reserving the beds till hubby surfaces (I will not leave my beds unattended but thats another "done" thread ;) )
We never bought a UK newspaper at any time during the 15+ years we used to holiday in Cyprus although we did buy the local Cyprus Weekly (a local paper printed in English) to find out what was going on during our stay.

Since arriving here in March 2004 we've never bought a UK newspaper and although we did buy the Cyprus Weekly and the Cyprus Sunday Mail in the beginning (mainly when looking for jobs etc), we stopped buying it regularly after the first couple of years and very rarely pick one up now. We may buy 2 or 3 a year at most.

When we go on holidays to other places, we still don't buy UK papers and never have done.

Shell,
Limassol, Cyprus
We never buy a paper as they are so expensive, however there is always an exception to the rule. We were in Torremolinos (or Tenerife - I can't remember) in a hotel with a lot of noisy Germans. England were due to play them that night and we were taking a fair amount of stick about how we would be thrashed. What happened was we thrashed them 5-1 and so the next morning almost to the man, every English person who was laying by the pool brought out a newspaper with the story highly visible ; the Germans were nowhere to be seen :D
i dont buy newspapers at home, sometimes pick up a free evening standard or metro but not often, preferring to "read" the papers on-line.
while i am away i do buy a paper every day.it costs about €2 and although dearer than in the uk i do not think it too expensive. i do like to keep up with the news.
i rarely log on to the web on holiday, as i spend nearly all day on computers, but i do want to be aware of anything major happening that could affect me while i am away.
i think that knowing about things like the ash cloud and the bad weather etc in advance at least gives me the option of getting a plan b in place before i get to the airport.
besides that i can spend a pleasant hour sitting outside a cafe/bar in relative peace without being asked to do things like washing up, as all men know that going to buy the paper can take a while abroad, as you have to wait somedays for them to be delivered ;)
We never buy a UK paper on holiday, in America my dad buys the local paper just for a nosey.

Helen
I don't bother with reading I much prefer to people watch but OH likes to read The Sun everyday. I think it costs 2 euros. He does like sport so it's a way of keeping in check with latest scores and news back home.
Buy the odd one as I dont take any books.
yes we buy papers home and abroad, part of our routine and it might have something to do with being nosey,( parker h) :D
I don't buy papers and only watch TV if in the US. As they never report on anything thathappens outside of their own country then I am always blissfully ignorant of anythin happening at home. In fact we usually remark on return that nothing has actually changed while we have been away!
Not in Egypt at £4 a pop, but maybe in Spain or Cyprus, and definitely if we are on a break in this country.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.