General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I don't think you ever acclimatise, a sun tan is a sympton of damaged skin. Australian friends from Perth still apply sun protection factor 30 whenever they go into the sunshine.
I use F30 at the start of the summer and especially if we are going to the beach and we've had 9 summers here now...

When we go to the pool we nearly always stay in the shade other than when we're actually in the pool so don't tend to bother with it there.

We've been back about 45 minutes or so from the beach today but - we didn't go until 4.30pm in the afternoon when it's cooling down. Very nice to go later in the evening.

I had a scare when we were still in UK with a suspicious mole and I told the consultant I always used F15. I got a stern look and informed "there are higher sun factors than that - so use them!" Luckily, when the biopsy from having the mole removed came back all was clear but it's made me think more about when I expose my skin.

Saying that, I never wear a hat... I just can't stand to have one on and find them way too hot, even when we go to Luxor, Egypt in the summer months (July or August as a rule) I still don't wear one. I did put one on for the hot air balloon flight - because I remembered the heat from the burners from my last trip!
Just came back from Mexico this morning. The whole fortnight we were therre we never used anything but F50 and we are all a lovely golden brown. In fact first 2 days my son burnt is shoulders whilst applying F50 regularly thru the day and wearing a T Shirt thru the lunchtime heat. He peeled slightly and is now a lovely golden brown. I would not consider using anything less than F50 in the Mexican heat.
I always use sun protection even in the UK.
I use F30 nearly all the time and have done so here in the UK these past few weeks.
I once offered a lady some for her daughter who was burnt on her shoulders and legs in Bulgaria a few years ago and you would have thought I was offering her poison and was shooed away. :que
I have had a friend and a relative who have died of malignant melanoma,one who was a sun worshipper and one who never sun bathed so prefer to be safe in the sun.
A dermatologist told me anything less than 20f is a waste of money.
I totally agree with you Jay Trip... I think anything under F20 is pointless and probably does more harm than good :que
Sun tan always stops me from burning I find. Though I don't sunbathe sunlight for hours on end. People who put sun tan on then sunbathe in it for about 6 hours can expect to be burned
I even use Malibu Dry Oil (SPF 20) at home or just walking around. It saves headaches when you ain't not got a lot of thatch.
;) ;)
A good suntan lotion we've used for the last couple of years is Ultrasun which is available from QVC and apparently duty free shops . It is actually a gel which you rub in and wait around 10 mins to dry and then you're good for all day . It is used by commercial companies who have to provide sun protection to their employees , so does what it says on the tin , I have found it to last well during the day , I sometimes reapply , but its fine if you are in the water or doing sports . I find it easy to apply as its easy to rub in unlike some thick creams .

I always apply in my room and wait a few minutes then go out in the sun , often I see people on their sunbeds who lie in the sun for half an hour or more , who then try to elegantly apply their warm and runny suncream and miss half their body or spray aimlessly with most of the protection up in the air .
I always use suntan lotion all through my holiday and I have never got burnt.

I think you do acclimatise to some extent. My husband is from Turkey and when we lived out there he never used cream and was always dark from the sun, however he never actually lay in the sun at any point. Now when we go on holiday he has to use sun cream or he will burn. I didn't always use cream when I was living there either, only if I was going to the beach or was going to be out for the day but I am dark skinned too.

I think anyone who goes on holiday to a hot country and doesn't use sun cream is very stupid.
I always use it, and a high factor I would just burn if I didn't holiday is probably the only time I specifically lie in the sun and do nothing but read or chill for a morning or afternoon.

Even with the wonderful summer we have had here, I don't think I had the time or inclination to just lie in it and do nothing as there is always so much better to be doing.
I use the same factor throughout the holiday, always factor 30.We Always slap it on thick every morning in our room and then top up with sprays throughout the day.

I do agree you acclimatise to a certain extent but I would be burnt in no time if I wasn't to use any or moved below a factor 20. I remember in the old days people used to move down factors over their holiday until they reached about a factor 2 but I honestly don't think it makes the slightest difference by staying on a high factor for those who actually want a tan. I do like to get some colour but burning is not the way to go.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.