General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I check the flight I am going on several weeks before we travel. I do this for several reasons:-

. I become excited about my holiday the closer I get to it.
. I don't like surprises, so if there are delays in the previous weeks to my travelling, I won't become upset if there is a delay on the day we travel.
. If there is a delay on the day we are due to travel, I can contact the hotel before we leave home and ask them to send the taxi a little later.
Yes, I do. We're going to the Dom Rep in 3 weeks and I've checked the past 2 weeks flights which both took off 30 mins late outward and arrived back considerably early. I'll be checking again on Wednesday and probably the following week too :)
srhjnmgn wrote:
I must confess to having one or two looks a few weeks before we fly. Just to see if there have been any delays either coming or going.

As for plane watching - guilty! Even after years of flying, it never ceases to amaze me. Whilst we were in Ibiza this year, we went to the waterpark at Playa D'en Bossa. This was under the flight path to the airport and every time a plane flew over, I just stood there, open mouthed, watching. It was brilliant. Some were so low, you could spot people in the windows.

Did the same in Larnaca this year. Mackenzie Beach is at the end of the runway :)
I never check. The only possibly useful check I would have thought is a check on the actual day itself but even then, you still have to check-in at the airport at the normal time anyway so it all seems a bit pointless to me but hey! each to their own.
Probably is pointless Robbo but for me, anything remotely connected to forthcoming holidays is great - as you say each to their own. :cheers
I do it for a month or so . I know it means nothing on the day but its part of my hoiiday countdown :)
Its been on time every week since mid junebut wish me luck as I am off 2pm today !!
I check to see how they are doing, on the day of travel I double check the arrival of the incoming flight as I don't want to be trapped airside with a delay where I can't have a smoke, sad I know but I prefer to stay landside as long as possible.

Dave
I do it every time! I start about 4-5 weeks before we go. I know technically it shouldn't have any relation to our own flight on the day, but curiosity always gets the better of me.
A couple of years ago we went to Ibiza with Thomsons - it was our first time with Thomsons and I'd always heard they had a good reputation. Well, in the weeks building up to our holiday, our flight ranged from ½ hour late to 2½ hours :-? It wasn't looking good! We arrived at the airport on the day and there was a 4 hour delay :shock: The following week people were arriving at our hotel having had an 8 hour delay on the same flight, and then the week after that, when we were going home, we had a 5½ hour delay! I think I checked the flight again the week after we came home and there was another delay that week!
not going until august just checked bristol's departure board our flight is on there so will now check weekly to see if the flight is coming and going on time , a friend who is going the same day as us but to a different greek island their flight is delayed today .
I check before I leave for the airport if I know where the inbound flight has come from, to make sure that there's not a knock-on delay from earlier sectors ... particularly useful when your flight out is the last rotation of the day for Easyjet or Ryanair ...

And I ALWAYS check on the status of an incoming flight when I'm expecting visitors. Sometimes it's me that learns first that a flight has been cancelled, and have to tell my visitors to rebook and which options might be the best ones to suggest to the overstressed staff at the airline's transfer desk ... sometimes the apparently simple option, the next flight to my airport, is not the easiest, when it means a 12 hour wait, when with a quick puddle jump, my friends can take an alternative and less sought-after flight eg LHR-MUC-BSL instead of the next LHR-BSL.

If a flight is late, it's less likely to give me a speeding fine on the way to the airport too! ;)
Well i am checking the Bristol departure board already for our flight to Zante in august , but as yet its not showing, the early morning departure has been going out but we are on a afternoon flight , so hopefully this will be showing in the next couple of weeks
This topic reminds me I must start checking our flight to Larnaca for our August departure - mind you we have a 1400 departure on a Saturday so usually busy when I should be checking.
May even take a trip to Manchester airport when I have a free Saturday to watch it take off. :rofl
Never check until we actually get to the airport..pointless worrying about summats you can do nowt about. Also, a set of circumstances 2 weeks before your flight which causes the same one to be late may not necessarily be applicable when your flight comes along.
Normally I never check because one day to the next is never the same with aviation.
Only because I was excited and hyped up, I checked the Virgin flight from Heathrow to Oz for about a week before we went and it was on time every evening, but come the night we flew, we were delayed 2½ hours because the electronic check-in/boarding went down, so everybody was having to be checked manually, which had nothing to do with the aircraft itself, which was sat on the apron waiting.

The only other time I've ever looked at arrivals/departures is when the lad flys to/from Oz and I can stop worrying when he's either safely in the air or landed.....It's pointless really because there's nowt you can do about it.

Sanji
todays flight from Bristol to Zante is showing a delay until 14.30 from 13.15 slot not too bad at the moment , have another 3 weeks to wait until i go
mine left at 07.15 this morning from manchester, only 15 mins late, i can cope with that in 2 weeks time :cheers
Yes every year about a month before I go away I always check to see if the flight takes off on time and I use http://www.flightstats.co.uk/home.do . My flight was 8 mins delayed on Saturday lol.

Chelle
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.