Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Thank you for posting this Kedi. It is a tragic story. I just hope people avoid these barbaric shows any where in the world. I know many say they are educational or thereputic but nothing gives man the right to steal these creatures from the wild. It causes the dolphins and their families so much stress and many die before they even reach these places.
You can see dolphins in the wild if you go sailing in Turkey a much more exciting experience.
Good for you for highlighting this Kedi. :tup
I hate any exploitation of animals & just don't understand how people can view it as entertainment.
Just a little more information about these dophin shows for anyone who wants to read:

Sorry Kedi, by all means provide the link to the source article but we can't have directly pasted articles for copyright reasons. Thanks, Dazbo HT Mod

Sorry - here is the link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g609056-i10890-k3263840-l23255845-Dolphin_research_center-Icmeler_Mugla_Province_Turkish_Aegean_Coast.html

The article is in post No.4
And now they are thinking of building another dolphinarium in Olu Deniz. Please read this:

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/n.php?n=-2010-03-11
is the one in marmaris/icmeler the same? i thought that one was for therapy purposes but i know they let you swim and meet the dolphins too

daughter wanted to go see them but if that one is as bad as others then won't go

x
Yes, the one in Marmaris is the same. They really don't treat the dolphins well and I know people who have taken children only to have them get very upset when they see the dolphins s some of them look so sad and poorly. My advice is don't go.
thanks x

their website is very misleading then eh :(
No idea where anyone would get the notion "people's perceptions are changing about the way dolphins are kept in captivity".

So, 10 customers per dolphin for an hour, they "work" for "up to three hours per day" and they do 5 sessions??? Do the maths on that one. Oh, but they can "relax" for the rest of the time.

In a (for them) tiny "pool" how can they "relax"? These beautiful creatures should NEVER be kept in small pools and made to "work" for tourists, but personally I don't agree with "swimming with dolphins" at all, far less making them do tricks. Look at the picture of the pool that is being dug - this is utterly shameful. The only place for dolphins is the ocean.

This has made me really angry, but thanks for the warning Kedi.
I think this very cruel because their hearing/sonar is very acute and they can hear the wild dolphins.
Vistors think because the dolphins are in the sea they are ok but I would never go near one.
So sad to read this - awful - can only say try to spread the word and boycott
This new pool in Hisaronu is half the size of an Olympic swimming pool. :yikes
Its disgusting and will put people off visiting the area.
I just wonder where they are going to get the dolphins from?
I am sorry to say it is certainly putting me off spending my holidays in Turkey. :cry There is a group set up on Facebook protesting against this,not that it will make much difference if the powers to be are determined to make more dolphins suffer. :que
I fear you are right jaytrip as money talks so loudly in Turkey. However saying nothing is wrong and if everybody who thinks this is so wrong keeps shouting about it maybe some will listen. I pray that the UK holiday companies will boycott it. I will not go and spend my money in an area where this will be allowed. If enough businesses realise that it could harm their takings they too may make more of a fuss.
If you are against the development of the cruel and shameful dolphin "attraction" near Oludeniz, please sign this petition:

http://www.sessizkalmasucaortakolma.com/dilekce/dilekce_detay.asp?id=329

Thank you
That is good news. Keep protesting and it may be stopped!
I too have signed this petition... its so sad to seee these beautifull creatures treated like this. :(
I have no wish to detract from the aim of this topic but this article in Travel trade Gazette is interesting:

http://www.ttglive.com/c/portal/layout?p_l_id=3208370&CMPI_SHARED_articleId=3862364&CMPI_SHARED_CommentArticleId=3862364&CMPI_SHA

Personally I try to avoid zoos and such. Very few have I found to be there for the benefit of the animals, much as they may assist in preserving species.

fwh
Just to bring you all upto date with the situation in Hisaronu.

Sorry, I've had to remove your post due to potentially libellous content and copyright issues. The original content can be found on Calis Beach Forum: Dolphinarium plans create major protest
  • Edited by apollo11 2010-06-05 12:25:30
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.