Africa/Middle East Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Africa/Middle East inc.Dubai
I've heard there are quite a lot of problems out in the Dominican Republic again at the moment with sickness at lots of hotels, I'd be inclined to go to Kenya to be honest.

Plus, you don't say when you are looking at going, but if it's in the next few months, it'll be hurricane season in the Caribbean, something else to consider.

Cheers,

TC
Just a personal view - haven't been to DR but have been to Caribbean twice - once with young kids and once without and have done Kenya without kids and going again in a few weeks (again without the kids). The kids still rate the Caribbean as their favourite holiday (other than Orlando!) and I had a great time too. I have not yet taken them to Kenya as, in my opinion, you can't go without doing at least a short safari and I personally, would not take my kids on safari until they are a little older and able to appreciate it and not stop the enjoyment of others as the journeys can be long, hot and dusty etc. So my personal opinion is to save Kenya with the kids until they are older and can enjoy better everything that Kenya has to offer. Having said that, Kenya is still my personal favourite holiday destination!
A few other things to consider, kenya with the kids is a great option, you can i believe get malaria syrup but ive never been down that road cos my little un has been ok with the tabs when weve been away to places that she has needed them. The safari saide of things, its a greta option and good for the kids, but i dont think any of the safari companies would take a 2 year old (dont know if thats what you would plan to do but to go to kenya and no do one would be a shame - ive been twice and missed out on safaris because of unexpected reasons!)

Also with the dominican, im not meaning to speculate, but if for any reason (this is why i cant go there) your children have different fathers, you need written legal permission from the father to allow them to enter the country.

You can have the usual ups and downs with tummy trouble in either of the destinations you have chosen, so take the usual care wherever you decide to go!

Have a great honeymoon!!

Caroline & Kirsten :wave
Hi,
Please do choose kenya.We have been taking our granddaughter with us there since she was two she will be nine this time,and have had no problems whatsoever.She has been on safari every time and can`t wait for our return in july/august. The first time we took her on safari we only did one night two days.She was so upset because we didn`t stay on safari longer.Whe we have her with us once a year we do book the 5 and 6 star camps and lodges and it need not be expensive if you go to the right safari company.The safari we are doing this time is 5 star killaguni,6 star galdessa and 5 star tortillis in amboseli.We are only paying £350 per adult and £175 per child.For this we are getting all the camps and lodges.Two landcruisers not mini buses,all safaris and all food and drink.One company wanted over £1,000 each for the same itinerary we have booked.The company you want to book with is dmtours@africaonline.kenya.We have been on safari with them many times and can highly reccommend them.I personally take malarone malaria tablets each day but my husband and granddaughter always take lariam .The little ones only take half once a week which can be crushed in a little chocolate spread or jam.

sue.
Hi there!Have never been to the dr but have been to Kenya!!
Fabulous place!Visited the Bamburi Beach for the day as hubby had a fishing trip organised from there!Seemed quite child friendly with a lovely pool.As for safaris-we did the early(V.earlydeparture!)day 1 where we saw lions elephants plus many more!The people there are so lovely and the children are adorable.Please take some pens/pencils with you for the children-they wanted to buy a pen off me for school=obviously i gave it to them plus others i begged from other travellers!!
We went in march-just before the rains came-and humidity was quite high.
You do get hassled by the beach boys but a firm no and a smile usually did the trick!
Wherever you choose,have a lovely time,i have travelled to many places but Kenya has a special place in my heart and i hope to return there some day.
Sue
:D

Hi!

Not been to Kenya but have been to Gran Ventana last June.

Our 3 families travelled with 4 children ages from 2-14 and sickness was never an issue. The food is good and you have all the al a carte restaurants to go to too!!

The weather was very very very hot!!! We actually had a clock with temp gauge on it and it was 49 degrees at noon :oops:

Just remember that this is a poor country and the hotels may have a 5star rating but I would say they are about 3 Star.:idea:

Still had a great holiday - the kids loved the snorkling trips and we loved the hotels cocktails!!

Joolz :wink:
Hi there.
After a few weeks of being undecided we have decided to go to Kenya. In nov/dec it is monsoon season in the dom rep apparantley. Also what a fab experience going to Kenya. I cant wait now.
Only thing I'm a bit peeved with now is that the yellow fever jabs are £40 per person!! Thats another £160 on top of the holiday. Never mind, we'll just have beans on toast at home every night for the next 5 months! Lol!
Dont forget youre gonna have to pay for the malaria tablets too, and also there is a visa charge at the airport in mombasa when you get there, its around £30 each, with no reduction for children!

Thought i'd better let you know, forewarned is forearmed!

Have a great trip, im sure you will all love it! i know me and my daughter do.

Caroline & Kirsten :wave
Hi there Mickey,so glad you have chosen Kenya!It's a place once visited,will stay in your minds and Hearts forever!

Take the highest sun tan protection you can for the children.they will need it and if you are fair skinned please do not lie in the sun at midday!Being so close to the Equator,it is so different to the sun/heat in the likes of Greece etc!
Where are you going to stay?The Likoni Ferry is some experience(if you choose to go South,you have to go on the ferry!)I will never forget offering our waiter a sweet one day(i bought a bag of them for 50p in the hotel shop!) He was so thrilled,that i told him to take them home for his 2 children.He was overcome with emotion because his wages did not allow for treats for the children etc!They are such humble people and nothing is too much trouble for them!If you decide on any trips whilst you are there,i can reccomend Wassini Island.a dhow fishing boat takes you there! Dolphins were swimming alongside the boat!It was so magical to see that!I'm sure the children would love that!Stopped off then for some snorkelling-i can't swim!!! but they had a glass bottom boat for non-swimmers! What beautiful fish!The marine life is amazing! Could go on forever! I'm so envious.Maybe i forsake Corfu(Which i love too!) in september for Kenya in December!!! Please let us know where you decide on and if you want any more info please do not hesitate to ask!
Byee Sue
p.s. you might see 1 of these there!! :pele although won't be pink!! well depends on how many Tusker beer you drink!!!
Hi matsui.
We are staying at the bamburi beach hotel. I cant wait now. As there are 4 of us we have trouble fitting in 1 room and it was quite a good price with eclipse. Any tips would be much appreciated such as what clothes to take, night temperatures etc. Anyway must dash kids in need, lol!!
Thanks, Becky.
Hi there Becky,We went to Kenya in March and it was very humid(only to be expected because of being so close to the rainy season)I loved to get up early and walk around the grounds to watch the sunrise and we had an outdoor thermometer at the pool bar-the temp at half five was 82F !!
The nights were a little cooler-but not much!We did have air conditioning in our rondel(room with a thatched roof!) which helped!I would suggest loose cotton clothing or linen if you don't mind the creasing!We took malaria tablets but have to say they made me feel quite ill for the first few days.(we booked a late deal so hadn't taken them for long before we got there.)We stayed at the Shelly Beach and the dress code was quite casual there.Only had 1 insect bite whilst there-which was excellent for me as i seem to attract all sorts!The food was good and the fresh fruit was delicious!English breakfast if you wanted it and pizzas etc were available! Do not wear much jewellery when out and about,it just advertises that we are much better off than others.The Kenyans adore children and will make them and yourselves very welcome.Seeing the animals in their own habitat is amazing it's an experience not to be missed! Please let me know how you get on and keep in touch if you need any more info!Can't wait to hear your review when you get back!
Best wishes
Sue :pele
Don't know if you're still reading this? Have lived in Kenya and visited the Dominican Republic. Absolutely not contest. Kenya every time!! :D
My husband caught a horrid bug in D.R. but never experienced any illness in Kenya in 3 years!
Maggie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.