Spain - Costa Blanca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Blanca.
Why has benidorm such a bad name,lots of people seem to think that if you go there, then you wear a football top, only have the English breakfast and get drunk all day! these people should look further than the high rise buildings and burger bars and look at the lovely sights of the old town, Guadalest, and some of the beautiful sights off the beaten track, have you seen the Goa forum on this site :roll:

I think if people think that way then it's their loss, leave Benidorm for us!
Well, Mr xxxx xxxxxx if you are reading this, then you know absolutely NOTHING about Benidorm, and I can only presume that your judgemental view of the town is based on the tunnel vision that you possess.
I highly recommend that you research a little of the history, famous people and events that have evolved and occurred in " Bendahrim".

Very well said Sanji. I applaud you. Everyone is entitled to their own views and opinions but this journalist has indeed based his views on what he has seen through is incredibly dark sunglasses. Ok, we all know that Benidorm has a reputation of being a concrete jungle, thats why it has earnt one of its nicknames 'Beniyork'. But he has failed to explore deep inside the jungle.

Benidorm has much to offer everyone from the age of 9 to 90! If it did'nt then how come millions of British (and other foreign nationals for that matter) flock to it year after year after year. Ok, I agree its not everyone's 'cup of tea'. As I have often said, you are either going to love the place as soon as you wake up on your first morning on your first ever trip there and are going to want to go back again time after time, or you are not going to like it. And I can respect that. Benidorm as a distinct atmosphere and aura about it, and its one that I personally love. I'd move there this evening if I could.

Ok, I also agree that if you want to see what is often referred to as 'The Real Spain' then perhaps Benidorm is not the place to do that. You would be bestter off venturing inland and exploring this wonderful country that way. But I think its very unfair to foist ones personal opinion on others. But unfortuately this person is a journalist and we all know how infuriating they can be. So Mr Jounalist, :wlink !!

Why has Benidorm such a bad name, lots of people seem to think that if you go there, then you wear a football top, only have the English breakfast and get drunk all day!

I do not believe I would agree with you in as much as I don't think Benidorm has a "bad name". If it was truly that bad then how come thousands of us choose it as a Holiday Resort year after year? You get Football Fans in all of the Costa's, not just in Benidorm. And these fans are never to be seen over the Christmas and new Year in Benidorm. The people who have this impression of Benidorm have probably never even been there, and have just read opinionated reviews as written by the Journalist mentioned in this thread.

As Sanji as quite rightly said, Mr X really has no idea what he is talking about, he's only employed to sell newspapers. If you want the REAL truth then you need to look at sites like this excellent one and, although I admit they are personal vews of the poeple that have been there, done it and got the T-Shirt, I'm confident not one HT Member would ever dream of foisting their views on others. They post purely and simply to tell the truth as they see it in an effort to assist the reader make up their own minds on choice of Resort, Airline, Hotel, Tour Operator etc etc.

:glynis Three Cheers For Benidorm Hip Hip........? :glynis
As I have often said, you are either going to love the place as soon as you wake up on your first morning on your first ever trip there and are going to want to go back again time after time, or you are not going to like it

That`s very true, but first impressions can be very misleading....I know because I was guilty of this myself. :oops:
Many years ago, I was one of those people who would go anywhere but Benidorm, I based my opinion on the stories and articles like the one this journalist has written, and I stupidly let people influence my destination for my holidays. :oops:
I got persuaded into going the very first time, by some friends on a "group departure" and my first impressions on viewing the high rise blocks, on the approach from the airport was....Oh, my God what have I done.!!!!!
I had spent the previous years exploring Andalucia, particularly loving the impressive moorish influence, that the moors had left in southern Spain.
So, the concrete jungle was completely alien to me, and the first day we ventured out, I thought "I hate this place" and I`m going to have to suffer it for 2 weeks, it didn`t help by pithing it down with rain either. :roll:
Now in all honesty, that could have been it for me, and staying within a small area would have clouded my judgement...and I think this is what happens to people like the journalist. :twisted:
After a few miserable days we ventured up into the old town and :wow tapas bars and the Spanish language being spoken....then La Cala, Finestrat, Altea, Albir and the beautiful village of Polop.....then I was hooked. :D
I met my friend in the hotel Pelicanos, she and her husband are professional musicians, she is an excellent jazz singer and is highly thought of in Alicante, she wanted to learn English as much as I wanted to learn the Spanish language.
I was attending college to learn Spanish and had took my "homework" with me, so that I wouldn`t fall behind with the class, she helped me one night inbetween the entertainment spots....and a true friendship was born. :kiss

She has taken me to places in the mountains that I would NEVER have seen otherwise, she has taught me things about the traditions and the people who live in La Communidad de Valencia.
What she unknowingly taught me, and made life time changes in my brain, was the warmth and friendship that the Spanish people hold to the people who TRY and communicate with them.
She has taught me, never judge a book by its cover. :wink: and NEVER listen to an ignorant journalist. :wink: who is probably one of those people who visit for the week-end, stay in the Levante area and base an opinion on the dot of the big map. :twisted:
I think the author Derek Workman sums it up, when he describes Benidorm as High, Rise, and Hansome.
He is constantly surprised how Benidorm has everything an international holiday resort would be expected to offer, but also has the compactness and friendliness of a small Spanish town.
London has treasures, history and grotty places and it is up to the individual to find the treasures....just like Benidorm. :roll: :D :wink:

besos xxx
sanji
  • Edited by Sanji 2006-01-26 22:58:53
Hi, I am ashamed to say this, :oops: but when some people ask me where i am going i usually just say Spain, as i know if i say Beni, they think oh my god fancy going there!! :yikes or i tell them Beni, and then feel i have to explain its not as bad as a lot of people make out, and that at Christmas time its quieter than Summer. and that its suitable for wheelchairs, i know i shouldnt have to justify why i go, but feel i have to!! due to all the bad press Beni receives. :evil: how sad is that? :(

Lizzie.
:) Hi i would agree with crystal and Lizzie,beni does have a bad name, but i think that goes back to the 80's when beni was well known for lager louts, things have changed alot now, but mud sticks!

Like crystal said if anybody don't like beni thats their loss, leave it for us who love it, bad name or not. :D
I'm afraid I like Lager, Football and Benidorm! What a Yob I must Be!!! :lol: :lol:
my first impressions on viewing the high rise blocks, on the approach from the airport was....Oh, my God what have I done.!!!!!

Yes, I would have to agree with you on that point. The sight of all those huge high rise buildings as you approach Benidorm from the motorway on your way from the airport is indeed not a very inviting picture. But this view is merely the 'cover', and you simply cannot 'judge a book by its cover'. Yes, it does look like a concrete jungle to anyone with 'tunnel vision'. but unless they explore deep inside this jungle they are never going to appreciate the charm of the place.

I feel its important to point out to anyone who is reading these posts and has never been to Benidorm before, but may be considering it as a holiday resort, please try not to cloud your judgement simply by what you see from your Coach/Car/Taxi transfer window as you approach this magical place. And please do NOT let some self-opinionated Journalist put you off visiting. His opinion is his own private opinion. (He may not like Benidorm, but millions of others do). Just the same as a TV critic, or Theatre critic. I would never be put off going to see a Play at a theatre simply because it received bad reviews in the press.

There are at least three Hotels in Benidorm that I myself would never return to for various reasons, but these same hotels receive positive feedback from other HT members. It really does not matter what others say, and I would never let a Journalist tell me where I should and should not take my holidays.
If its so bad why do the Spainish flock to Benidorm because they know where the best places are. I have travelled to lots of tourist places in Spain and never seen many Spainish holidaying but Benidorm whichever season you visit is full of Spainish.

Old saying applying to restaraunts if it`s full of locals it must be good.I think this applies to Benidorm.

Christine W
If its so bad why do the Spainish flock to Benidorm because they know where the best places are. I have travelled to lots of tourist places in Spain and never seen many Spainish holidaying but Benidorm whichever season you visit is full of Spainish.

Old saying applying to restaraunts if it`s full of locals it must be good.I think this applies to Benidorm.

Yes Christine. I could not agree with you more. Very well said. The Spaniards themselves to flock to Benidorm in their hundreds each and every year. And its the same with us Brits, ( and Scots etc! ). Why would so many of us return to Benidorm year in year out if it was as bad as this Journalist makes it out to be? I bet he cannot answer that. Not only that, but a great many of us return there two, three maybe sometimes four times a year.

Not to mention the fact that there is a large contingency of Ex-Pats living in and around Benidorm. Why would you want to live there if it was just a terrible place? Me, I'd move out there tomorrow if I could, but thats not possible at this present time, but I'm not ruling it out as an impossibilty.

There are so many beautiful places and little villages to see all within easy reach of the town itself. Alpaz Del Pi, Polop, Altea, Guadalest, Albir, to name just a few. There really is something for everyone.....Shops, Pubs, Bars, Nightclubs, Golf Courses, Restaurants, Theme Parks, Historic Buildings, Beautiful Scenery, Pretty Villages, Markets, Boot Fares....need I go on? And all this within easy reach by taxi, bus or on foot of the town of Benidorm itself.

Yes, Benidorm might not be the best place to visit if you want to see the 'Real Spain' as I have already said. But its a perfect base for a Holiday where you can do as much or as little as you like.

I love Benidorm and I always feel a sense of sadness when I am on that transfer coach on my way back to Alicante Airport, but then I start to plan my next visit as soon as I return to the UK.
Why has benidorm such a bad name,lots of people seem to think that if you go there, then you wear a football top, only have the English breakfast and get drunk all day! these people should look further than the high rise buildings and burger bars and look at the lovely sights of the old town, Guadalest, and some of the beautiful sights off the beaten track, have you seen the Goa forum on this site
I think if people think that way then it's their loss, leave Benidorm for us!

Yes I have read the posts in the Goa thread :roll: ....what are you trying to do? Start an inter forum world war 111 :rofl
I`ve just learnt what BB stands for... benidorm brigade :D :roll: :wink:

You really have to feel for these people don`t you....I mean, do we ever mention Goa in here.? :roll:
It can`t be that good if people are eating egg & chips after flying all that way. :rofl What they forget is, that people were visiting Benidorm over 40 years ago, and it is still as popular today.....it has stood the test of time and nobody can deny that fact.!!! will Goa last that long.?
They are moaning about the football shirt brigade, larger louts and beer swilling people who are now going.
Oh dear, what a shame....we in Benidorm have been there, got the T-shirt and have now moved on. :D
I`m not saying that Goa is not a nice place or its people, but they wonder why we love Benidorm so much. :roll:

It`s a cosmopolitan town, which caters for all ages 12 months of the year.
It is not a third world country, where once you step out of the purposely built complex, you step into poverty and disease.
I bet half the people who go to Goa do so, for the cheapness of the place and not for the culture. :roll:

Benidorm ? It`s just magical....and please keep away so that I can get there at Christmas, paying the price I want to pay. :rofl
Old saying applying to resturaunts if it`s full of locals it must be good.I think this applies to Benidorm.

Yep, I agree :wink: and the dirtier the floor with nut shells the better. :wink:

besos xxx
sanji
Benidorm ? It`s just magical....and please keep away so that I can get there at Christmas, paying the price I want to pay.

Save a space for me Sanji please!! I'm also planning on going to Benidorm this Christmas. Maybe for three or four weeks. I love it there at that time of the year. All the Sequence and Ballroom Dancing....I just love it.

Yes, indeed Benidorm IS "magical"!! Why it even has its own 'Yellow Brick Road' !! What other resort can boast that?!?!
:!: :?:
After playing devils advocate in the Tenerife forum I feel I should belly flop into this part of town. As you saw from my words I didn't like Tenerife, but I really love the costa Blanca, so that means I love Benidorm and La Cala. I do think people have an opinion of Benidorm as a booze and lads place. It can be in places, it has people who wander around in nothing more than a cheep vest, sandles and several tatoos, demanding only the English of beers. When I say english beer it's probably brewed in Germany but as it's sold in the local back home it must be English, so that's what they drink :shock: You see, I do know people that won't go to this sunny land as they think it's a bit of a dive, but it has a lot to offer. Fantastic sea fronts with all kinds of bars, places to eat. The weather :) and some great places to stay. BUT....some will always look down upon it as a place where the less intelligent and slightly oafish that walk amoungs us go to eat mushy peas, chips and expose over sized parts of the body that, in truth should only be shared with doctors or the most trusted of partners.
I have just read the Thread in the GOA Discussion Forum, which has been referred to in this post about 'The Benidorm Brigade'.

The remarks made in that post which infers that all who choose to holiday in Benidorm must be lager swilling, pot bellied, foul mouthed football hooligans are totally unfounded. And very unfair. Just what does this Member base their self opinionated remarks on?

My parents are in their late seventies, will be in their eighties next year, and they visit Benidorm twice a year. They most certainly do not swear! They loathe and detest football!. And they are tea-total!! I resent the implication that my parents are 'Drunken Football Hooligans'. :rage They go to Benidorm for the magical atmosphere :D and to take part in the many activities organised by the Hotels. I'm in my late forties and I have never sworn in my life, and I never would. I make an effort when I am in Spain to speak a little spanish and I respect the fact that I am in a foriegn counrtry and behave accordingly. I'm very annoyed by the remarks made by the HT member in the GOA discussion Forum. Has this member ever been to Benidorm? Or has the member simply been reading the garbage printed by Mr X?

Yes, at certain times of the year, there are large groups of males in the resort, mainly during high season who like to walk around with Football shirts and Trainers on. What is wrong with that? Many of these 'football' shirts are actually RUGBY shirts. But does that make them 'larger swilling louts'? I think not. A very small minority may be. And it IS a small minority that lets the side down with their anti-social behaviour. Does that not happen in Goa? I'm sure it does. But I would hardly say Benidorm was overun with British Football Hooligans.

Thats just being stupid and ignorant
After playing devils advocate in the Tenerife forum I feel I should belly flop into this part of town.

Rodger :D
You come and belly flop with me any time hun :rofl and I did say that I often put the "cat amongst the pigeons" :rofl
You have your view and people should respect that. :wink:

Now was it you that I kicked off my balcony, wearing nothing more than a thong, with a bottle of San Miguel in your hand and a pit bull tattooed on your chest. :rofl
:rofl

Besos xxx
SanJi
Hi, Just phoned my 87 year old Mom, and told her, that when we go to Beni at C/mas, she can no longer drink copious amounts of booze, take her Football Tops, must remove the St Georges Flag from her wheelchair and have her British Bulldog Tattoo removed, she was not amused :cry: so i cheered her up by telling her i have changed the holiday from Beni to Goa, i told her she would feel right at home there as a lot of her "type" (Benidorm Brigade) are going there now!!

Lizzie
I dont know how anyone can not enjoy Benidorm the entertainments fab and there is so much choice i dont think ill ever see it all.

The only people i've ran into are people who are there to enjoy themselves.

:pele
Sorry for re-opening this old topic but I wasn't using the boards when the discussion was opened. I too hate all the holiday snobbery. I work with professional people and always feel I have to defend my holidays. (Mallorca and the Costas). It is always assumed I spend two weeks getting drunk and sleeping it off round the pool. T

he first time I went to Benidorm it was a last minute deal and I stayed in a small hotel called the Joya. We were the only English guests in the hotel. At first we felt a bit intimidated but the first morning I said 'hola' in the lift to an old Spanish lady, she then took me under her wing and introduced me to all her friends. It turned out the Spanish National Dance Championships were being held in Benidorm and many of the contestants were staying in the hotel. Each night we were treated impromptu displays of flamenco - not the kind you would see in the big shows, but ordinary people taking part in their national dance.

I was taken out for meals and ate 'paellas' to die for - long, lazy meals with 'real' Spanish people. I walked round the old town and it took my breath away that such a place could exist and retain its charm within the high rise surroundings.

I visited the nearby towns mentioned before and saw the beauty of Spain. Yet, for my daughters I was able to get on a bus to the Aquapark which must be one of the most beautiful in Europe and spend a day just playing with them.

I would argue that you probably get to know more about the real Spain in places such as Benidorm because the Spanish are on holiday too, and like us, are much friendlier when relaxed. As it is, I am in regular contact via the internet with friends from Spain, Mallorca, Argentina, and Venezuela as a result of my holidays in Benidorm and Mallorca.

Other people may like different things in Benidorm but that is the beauty of it, there is something for everyone. :P :P
Hear hear tippi

This is our third visit to Beni in 11 years. Spaced out very nicely and on our second visit appreciated Beni even more. Cannot wait to go back at the end of June, we can remember the area and location of certain hotels, bars and the beautiful promenade and the old town.
As your rightly stated though, when someone asks you where you are going, and your reply is Benidorm the answer you get back are:

Oh, why do you want go there, you have been some beautiful places, why there :?:
God, no :!: :!:
Couldn't go there if you paid me

Well when I ask them 'have you been' guess what no they
:swear haven't.
At the end of the day, people have a choice, do not knock a place though when you have never been :bhead

kazee

ps cant wait for my :fly
:ghug for the Beni brigade
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.