General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
Not interesting to anybody else - I've spent the morning having a pedicure and the afternoon ironing but exciting for me because it's all part of the getting ready for going to Cuba on Tuesday. I can almost taste those mojitos already :cheers

SM
Those are exciting things though are they SMa as it's all count down to holiday time :pele
Bit similar to your story Glynis :tup

We were down Canterbury way a few weeks back, had done what we had to do and I suddenly remembered that about 30 :yikes years ago we had a fantastic meal on a beach in a place called Whitstable and I had a fancy to try and find it again.

Teenage son had fallen asleep in the back of the car dreaming he was on the way back to his PS3 but woke up to find himself somewhere he didnt want to be but I was on a mission to find this Oyster restaurant as I thought of it.

Needless to say after 30 years I couldn't find it, but found somewhere else called The Crab and Winkle (just love that name :rofl ) so we settled for that.

Then much to the amusement of everyone I ordered Boulibaisse even though I wasn't quite sure what it was,
Well I actually thought it was fish soup, but it came complete with lots of things with heads on and shells on and I had DS muttering people shouldn't eat things that still have heads, eyes and tentacles :rofl

T'other's had fish n chips, also very fresh.

So u weren't the only one that had a kind of unexpected fish supper Glynis.

Doe :sun2
Oh and it was grey sky's wet and damp in Whitstable as well, so the same weather going on in Kent as in Whitby, I couldn't tell where the sea ended and the sky began.
These off the cuff days out can sometimes turn out to be the best ones Doe.....Unfortunately mine wasn't.... Although quite a lot of people like Whitby - I'm not too keen to be honest (think it looks better in the photo's :rofl ). But I said to hubby 'let's go out somewhere' so he set off driving. I saw the signpost early on and thought :( but obviously didn't say anything. Twas my fault really as I should have suggested somewhere, but, to be honest, the weather was that grey and dismal I don't think anywhere would have had that 'day out' spark.

Never mind, it got me out of the house :pele
doe
you were probably thinking of Wheelers Oyster Bar which is on the high street in the old town from the car park near the Crab, you need to walk west towards the old town, the road will fork harbour street going to the left and sea street to the right, take either as they join up again at the high street, wheelers is just past the junction on your left

a kentish man in exile
Things have returned to "normal" back here in Cyprus now as my parents returned home after their month here on Wednesday, which means no more driving backwards and forwards to the tourist area everyday when I'm not at work.

I took Monday to Wednesday off work so going back yesterday felt like Monday and was mighty confusing when I realised it was Thursday! But, when Jani (the Finnish guy) who is the betting manager in our office brought doughnuts in this morning - yep, that was definitely Friday! :)

On top of all that, it's international Woman's Day and this afternoon me and Samantha (my colleague) were surprised by a visit from one of the young guys in our Support dept. I was so surprised, I blogged it: http://wp.me/p1uja5-1Sk

Happy Weekend everyone :cheers
Aww what a lovely thought from Cezar with the red rose :thanks Plus of course donoughts from Jani - you were really spoilt today :tup

Your parents are really lucky being able to spend a month with you in Cyprus they must really look forward to it.

I know what you mean though about things messing up your days so you forget what day it is. We went shopping today, with hubby being home from work, instead of Saturday so all day I've thought it's Saturday :really
Glynis,
We need a "Like" button....
Have a word with Chris, will you?
:rofl
Jani brings us doughnuts every Friday - it's the only day we know what day it really is! Sometimes, we get sugar ring doughnuts, others we get jam and sometimes when we've been really good, he brings Cinnabon ones which are extra special. Then it makes us think it's Christmas!
My daughter and I have been ill for three weeks and felt a bit better yesterday so decided to go shopping today to Stamford which is a lovely little market town 20 miles away. It was raining hard this morning then thick fog which didn't clear all day, we were frozen and only spent two hours there which included a breakfast in between it was like the middle of winter and there weren't many people about. I got some huge free range eggs the stallholder said they would keep us going as we bought five dozen for different people, we always come back loaded with eggs as they're so nice. We usually get loads of vegetables off the market but they didn't look so fresh today so didn't bother. We were glad to get home in front of the fire to warm up.
Thursday we were on a bus full of coconuts n cockerals including one stitched into shocker bag - en route to can tho from Ben tre Vietnam

Few days before down Cu Chi tunnels lol - then had python around neck
northantsj wrote:
My daughter and I have been ill for three weeks and felt a bit better yesterday so decided to go shopping today to Stamford which is a lovely little market town 20 miles away. It was raining hard this morning then thick fog which didn't clear all day, we were frozen and only spent two hours there which included a breakfast in between it was like the middle of winter and there weren't many people about. I got some huge free range eggs the stallholder said they would keep us going as we bought five dozen for different people, we always come back loaded with eggs as they're so nice. We usually get loads of vegetables off the market but they didn't look so fresh today so didn't bother. We were glad to get home in front of the fire to warm up.

Aww Jean sorry to hear you and your daughter haven't been well hope you are both a lot better now :kiss Was it a virus?

Betty sounds like your having a great time, can't wait for you to come back (sorry :oops: ) so I can hear all about your trip :tup

Cyprus - Jani sounds a lovely guy, very thoughtful :tup
Sounds like an exciting holiday Betty enjoy the rest of it and looking forward to hearing all about it when you come home. Yes Glynis it was a virus we both felt awful and I was an antibiotics as I had a bad water infection too going back to the doctors tomorrow.
Betty Boop wrote:
Thursday we were on a bus full of coconuts n cockerals including one stitched into shocker bag - en route to can tho from Ben tre Vietnam

Few days before down Cu Chi tunnels lol - then had python around neck

OMG how did you cope with the Cockerals... :rofl

:wave:
northantsj wrote:

Sorry you and your daughter have been unwell Jean but glad it sounds like you are on the mend. The eggs sound fantastic :)

Doe :sun2
northantsj wrote:
Sounds like an exciting holiday Betty enjoy the rest of it and looking forward to hearing all about it when you come home. Yes Glynis it was a virus we both felt awful and I was an antibiotics as I had a bad water infection too going back to the doctors tomorrow.

Let's hope they get you sorted soon Jean. You take care :kiss
Will let you know later if today turns out to be interesting ;)

I'm off to Thackray Medical Museum in Leeds. I'm a carer for my son who has bi-polar so receive the odd free trips out run by a local association & this is todays. Am taking my parents too as my mam is an ex nursing sister and district midwife, so I thought she'd find this right up her street.

It's got good reviews so am hoping for an interesting day:-

http://www.thackraymuseum.org/

Reviews:- http://www.qype.co.uk/place/204518-The-Thackray-Medical-Museum-Co-Leeds
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.