Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
cant say i have heard of this ai hotel it could be a new one i am back in may i will have a look
This used to be named the Mavi Akdeniz hotel.If you look on google there are reviews on Trip Advisor and other websites.
Thanks for that Briar.

Like i had said before i have seen reports on other sites but i am looking for a report from a HT member

GM
I too would be interested to hear any replies on the Dorian.

I am looking at this complex for my Wife and I in early June and am getting quoted a superb price (£259 All Inclusive for a week!!).

I got prices for the same week for other Hotels (All AI) for comparison from the Agent. These were:
Tropicano: £267
Alize: £359
Sun City: £389

We have stayed at the Sun City before and found it great but the price for the Dorian is VERY hard to resist.

I understand a new block has been built and a second new large swimming pool too at the Dorian.

I am weighing up all the options before deciding on which complex to go for as we prefer AI to save the bother of carrying too much money with us but that depends on the quality of food at the complex. I know the food at Sun City was excellent but don't know anything about the Dorian.
Hi which agent or travel company did you get quoted the £259 with?
Sounds like an excellent deal.
I have just booked 1 week All Inclusive at the Dorian (with a guaranteed Room in the new block, with Jacuzzi and overlooking the new pool) for £274 pp.

This fly's with Onur Air from Edinburgh and includes Transfers, Booking Fee and In-Flight Meals.

New photographs are scheduled for the end of March (There is currently scaffolding present for building and redecoration although this will be removed by the end of March as it is illegal to have it up from this date in tourist resorts)

The photograhps will be uploaded to the Travel Agent I went through who are:

Right Holidays (Website address: http://www.rightholidays.com)

They are a TTA U4278 Agent for an ATOL protected operator.

I called various other Tour Operators (Thomas Cook, Thomson, First Choice, Airtours) with quotes for various accomodation and none could match the price given by Right Holidays.

I was given the following costs (All for 5th June leaving Edinburgh):
Tropicano £267
Dorian £259 (Extra £15 pp for a guaranteed Top Floor in the new block with Jacuzzi)
Alize £359
Sun City £389

All fantastic prices but we went for the Dorian as it is only a short week long break for my Wife and I.
maverick57uk - I would also be interested in any information you can get on the Dorian and especially with the new block / swimming pool.

If anyone else is scheduled to stay here once the Holiday season is in full swing, I would also appreciate an honest assessment of the complex.
i will begoing back to olu and hisaronu on the 10th of may i will make a posting then
I have found this new Web Site for the Dorian Hotel in Olu Deniz.

I thought it might interest a few other people so here is the link:

http://www.dorianhotel.com/default.asp

The Panoramic views are well done and give a good reflection of the outside and room views.

It looks a lot nicer than I expected as the previous Web site I had was for the old name of http://www.maviakdenizhotel.com/detail.html

Enjoy...

I have 9 weeks to go (Go out on 5th June) - Can't wait
I have seen that "Keli" from Blackpool has just created a review on the Dorian Hotel.

Although travelling in April it looks as though the food and entertainment gets poor reviews.

Please PM me with further information "Keli" if you see this message as I am going to the Dorian in early June.
I am getting a bit worried now....

Another 2 reports have been posted for the Dorian Hotel and it continues to get VERY poor reviews for Food, Drink, Entertainment, Staff etc etc etc.

Cold Food, watered down drinks, undrinkable coffee, staff very frosty etc

What would be the best advice for someone like us who have already booked into this complex?

My TA advised this was a nice Hotel but looking at the reports (All from April this year) it appears as though they even had goats in a room under the Hotel!!! [This was said to be feature of the Hotel]

I understand travelling in April when the season has not yet started could cause some difficulty at the complex but I was not expecting comments like these.

I was thinking of emailing the Hotel direct to get their views but don'y quite know if this would be a good idea.

Having to talk to my TA at this late stage about moving may also be complicated too as I am booked through Right Holidays, who this if the first time I have used them.

Any thoughts or advice appreciated.
I have emailed my Tour Operator advising of the issues being reported.

I will await a reply and keep everyone posted on any progress.
Could "Amy from Spalding" please PM me as I see you booked your stay at the Dorian Hotel with Right Holidays - The same company I am going in early June with.

I am assuming that it is the same Miss A Gibbons that has written a similar report on another Web Site about the Dorian.

I feel a little better knowing that there is at least one decent report coming back from the Hotel but I suppose each person has there own opinions and still feel it would be nice to see some reports from this month when the season has opened.
Having read the reports about the Dorian that have just been posted for April they need to be viewed in context.

The staff may well have been wearing jumpers, but it was April, hot for us but for the Turks its cold, I was in Icmeler in April and it got nippy at night for me, so no wonder that the locals felt the cold.

I wonder if anybody took the trouble to talk to the staff, treat them as an equal, they work long hours; they are by and large ignored and sometimes abused by the average British holidaymaker, is it any wonder they appear sullen.

I have stopped in a number of Turkish hotels that have had similar bad reports about staff and have thought them unfounded.

Food and drink issues are very subjective, there is no excuse for cold food, but with regards menu choice you have to expect it to be cooked to a local taste, Salads Mezes, Fruit Chicken ect. If you want good old British stay in Britain.

Most A/I you stay in will give you the local produced booze, if you want the quality stuff you have to pay.

In a Turkish A/I for the price I am paying in August I expect to eat out at minimum of a half a dozen times during my fortnight as part of my holiday experience. I use the hotel for the pool along with daytime drinks and meals, and find that alone is value for money.

why not try a fortnight in the Canaries or on a Greek island instead, see how much it costs to get there, then add on you food and drink, Turkey 3* A/I is suddenly good value for money in my eyes.

I hope my little lecture has not offended anyone, as for all those going this year, Enjoy your holiday as I know I will.

GM 06
GM 06

I agree with your comments and have always taken a lot of other people's comments into perspective.

The last time we went to Olu Deniz we stayed at the Sun City and to be honest there were some pretty bad reviews on various aspects of the complex which we found to be entirely untrue in our opinion. We ended up having a great time and thought the food, drink and staff were all excellent.

I only became worried when it seemed every report coming back at the time were very poor for the Dorian.

I went for the Dorian purely on a cost basis to keep the price of our holiday down as my TA wanted £389 pp AI for the Sun City which I felt for a week for a short break for us was to much to justify.

I looked at alternatives in other countries and to get the same weather and value for money Turkey will always come out on top.

Some other reviews have came in for the Dorian that are much better and. hopefully before we go, some more will be written to shows it in a more positive light.

I will no doubt have my own opinion, as everyone else has had an will reserve judgement until we have actually stayed there.
Just came across this thread and thought I'd mention that, similar to Aasqmhill, I have been tempted by the great price for this property.
My wife and I have booked for the October school week, flying from Glasgow with Onur for £285 each AI.

We would normally never consider AI as we like to eat out all the time, but we were seduced by the price.
I too noticed the mixed reviews for the Dorian, particulary for food, but that won't bother us, (as I say we eat out). I'm mainly thinking of the substancial saving from drinks all day around the pool. Which, especially with hotel prices, can seriously add up.

The Karbel, which I know gets great reviews, was £257 BB. However I felt for an extra £28 a head the dorian was worth taking a chance.

Look forward to reading Aasqmhill's (and others), reviews
I understand that the Dorian is dropping AI after this season and going back to B&B. Other reports have came in which get slightly better reviews of the complex but the food/drink still gets hot&cold reviews (Alternate Chicken and Beef stew each night and limited breakfasts with the drinks being quite limited too)

I'm still reserving my judgement until we go in 3 weeks time but obviously I will now add a little to our budget in case we end of eating out a little more due to the qaulity of food in the complex.
Aasqmhill, are you sure the rooms have jacuzzis. If so, I'll be on to them to add it to my booking. Already ensured room in new block. However they never metioned jacuzzis
I was advised by my TA that the Standard price of AI at the Dorian was £259pp for the week.
When confirming ther booking he advised that I could also have one of the new rooms in the new block overlooking the new pool (with a Jacuzzi bath) for an extra £15 pp.
I can only go on what the TA had told me so I am assuming that this is correct.
If you are able to confirm that they do actually exist with your TA then this would make me feel better too.

Cheers - Alan
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.