Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
drinking in goa
15 Posts
Hi Pinkpig.

I think the folk in this thread are mostly tea total.

lez :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl
Lezlie's right we don't really do alcohol around here but in an attempt to gain an insight into the habits of the typical British visitor to Goa, I forced myself to put away a bucket or two of Kingfisher and the odd plastic pack of gin washed down with tonic.

It was hell but it developed into something of a habit that I've managed to sustain since my return!

If you look around this site you will find some recommendations for white wines but I've never tasted one that didn't taste like a curious blend of paraffin and vinegar. Imported wines are very expensive.

The domestic brands of gin and vodka are very palatable and inexpensive. My good lady consumed them in industrial quantities and it's not done her any harm - or so the nurse says.
Roma,

All that research for other peoples benefit, you must be a saint. :wink

I will do a little research myself when I get to Goa.

Lez
Hi Lezlie
I think youd change your mind if you ever go to a h.t meeting
:glynis
sharon
I will go to a HT meeting.

I have been warned to get there early because the tea and cakes go quite quickly,

lez
lets keep this on topic please. :D
You can usually get Smirnoff but it's at a premium. If you're feeling brave go for the White Lightning Vodka but be warned, it's not for the faint hearted.

I've only ever had one drinkable bottle of white wine in Goa and it was from French grapes but produced locally. Sorry I can't remember the name as it was pricey and I'm not a big wine drinker anyway.
I managed to drink the Vin Ballet, local wine but it wasn't that great. It was cheap though - can't remember how much. You can get imported wines but they're expensive.
sorry, my post might be a bit misleading.

The White Lightning tastes fine but it's incredibly strong. Rumour has it is has amphetamne in it but I don;t think that would be allowed even in India. More likely Guarana base or something but as I said it tastes fine, just does it's job a little too well.
All my vodka drinking friends have been drinking smirnoff here since it was introduced. The other brands are more like garaffa, the cheap alcohol you get served in the med, masquerading as everything. Wine has improved greatly in the last few years, there are now a couple of indian wine producers and with help from the french and italians are now coming up with reasonable table wine if served at the right temperature. Sula chenin blanc is okay if very cold. I think they just came out with a chardonnay. Red is better served slightly chilled, sounds strange but you soon get used to it. In italy not so good red table wine is usually served this way. I suggest you try a few out, theres also a red and white portuguese wine bottled here. Prices range from 280 - 450. Also a wide range of imported wines, average 650. All prices in the shops not restaurants. Expect to pay double in a restaurant or shack.
Pinkpig - you can get local white wine here, Vin Ballet, Madeira, cheap, but not good if you are a hardy wine drinker. Lawande supermarket in Candolim sells a good selection of local and imported red and white wine. Grovers and Sula is quite good. Grovers is about 350 rups (a little over 4 quid a bottle), and Sula is about 450 rups (approx 6 quid). If you order these wines in a restaurant, obviously you will pay more for them. Hope this helps.
Sweet Chilly in Sinquerim do Hardys (1 white & 1 red) at about 800rps a bottle.
According to Goonerfan the wine is as good as he sells inhis pub and cheaper.

Steve
Not sure I managed to taste any that night Steve :oops: Sure Vanda got to it before I did :lol: :lol: Seriously, it wasn't a bad wine, can't go too far wrong with Hardys and at about 800-840 rps no more than you'd pay back home... :shock: (or maybe I just run a dear pub) :glynis :glynis :glynis :rofl :rofl
I guess its a good idea if you can be versatile and change to different drinks incase you cant get the brand you want.
Wine is expensive by indian standards but not any dearer than you pay in the UK, plus they dont have a great choice, but you always manage to find something.
Failing that I would have a vodka and diet coke or even a bacardi breezer ... changing drinks isnt a problem for me :D :glynis
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.