Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
drinking laws
24 Posts
please see THIS thread in the holiday advice forum near top of index page

wizard
I believe the legal drinking age is 18, however you probably wont have a problem with your 17 year olds.
When we were in Gumbet 2 weeks ago we asked a local bar owner the same question. He told us, there is no age limit. But some young Turks who were in our hotel went a bit over the top with booze, so the hotel stopped the waiters from serving them.
If you don't make a nuisance of yourself, they don't care how old you are.

Does this help?
The turkish may be relaxed about the beer but when my 14 year old son tried to order Turkish coffee after a meal there was a riot. The waiter gave him a big lecture, got very excited, ran off to tell the bar man what the little lad had ordered and before we knew all the staff were around the table egging on the chef who had heard the news and come out of the kitchen especially to tell him off. :shock: :lol:

It was very funny. :lol: :lol:
two Son's both had a couple of Efes when they were younger in Turkey.............I would guess from being 16/17 with no probs.

Same with my son as well in fact i think he sneaked the odd one or two when he was about 14/15yrs!

You wont have any problems at all.
It depends where you are staying. If you are at an all inclusive hotel, like we were last year, the Belcekiz Beach in Olu Deniz, they are VERY strict.

Absolutely no one under 18 will get served, they have CCTV cameras at the bars, and when you check in, they give you an under 18 wristband from your dob on your passport. They also make it pretty tight so you cant swap with over 18 friends etc.

Think its probably easier in bars outside complexes etc.
Slightly off topic but bear with me.
If you buy alcohol for a minor in Turkey have you committed an offence at home?
Not preaching , just wondering :?
Probably, i think we are still supposed to adhear to both UK and Foriegn law whilst abroad. But I suppose its like the thread ealier this week, its also illegal to knowingly buy and bring back fake goods. Its just impossible to enforce.
it can be a problem all inclusive, last year I remeber the bar manager saying it was illegal for under age drinking, he was really concerned.

AI have different coloured wrist bands, its quite funny watching the 17yrs old not getting a beer, even though they have paid full whack !!
Del
possibly - yes you could be prosecuted
The quick one liner from the Children Act being
"suffering, likely to suffer or HAS suffered significnt harm"
Unlikely though unless a serious incident occured - my opinion only

In the belcekiz beach last year a teenager turned 18 during his holiday and only on the day was the wristband changed and beer served - with great ceremony!!
lally
Lally that happened there when we was there as well

they were really strict
I'm gonna stick my neck out here, BUT........

When people come here we expect them to abide by our laws & we WOULD NOT even dream of expecting or even asking a bar to serve an under 18.

Thats also Turkeys rule and their rules & laws are just as valid to them as ours are to us.
I'm not saying there is anything wrong in a 16 year old having a beer. But anyone that EXPECTS (regardless of board paid) or complains that it can't be got are being disrespectful to the Turks.

My personal opinion only.....
How the hell can buying a beer in turkey be a crime in the uk, some people are just unbelievable. Onto a different matter , probably a lot of people don't know this , but in Scotland the drinking age is 18, but a 16 year old can have a drink in a restaurant with a meal and a 5 year old yes 5 year old can legally drink in their own home.
It is illegal in Turkey to procure alcoholic drinks for persons under the age of 18, it is also illegal for persons under the age of 18 to purchase or drink alcoholic beverages... this is TURKISH LAW not British
Yes it is against the law to sell under 18s but i dont think its against the law to drink drive cause when we went on jeep safari my driver was on the effes all day then jumped off going down the clifs and told me to drive and to top it all off there where 2 other familys on my jeep can you imagine there horrer when im trying to jump over the seat to get to the wheel.
I'm travelling soon with my son & daughter, he's 20, she's 17. I dont want either to get in trouble. My daughter reckons the age is 16..... :think Would like to make sure ;)
im sure we were told the first time we went the drinking age was 14
its just ordering coffee they make a fuss about
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.