Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
The smoking ban will definitely enforced this year,and that will include shacks etc.

John
so i best not buy any cigars at dubai on the way out then???
jcbrum wrote:
The smoking ban will definitely enforced this year,and that will include shacks etc.

John

I very much doubt it :rofl They dont enforce many laws at all ;)
Sounds like another way for the police to extract cash from tourists/restaurant owners to me.

Most laws over there seem to be ignored or adapted for the benefit of officialdom so it will be interesting to see how things develop. It's good to learn that the Goan authorities are so concerned about our safety though - perhaps they'll also stop families of 4 riding on scooters and cows from grazing on the fast lane of highways. :rofl
just for the record, these are NOT new smoking laws. they have been in force for some years.
:smokin :smokin :smokin BOB
These have been around since 1999 - but think they will try to enforce or is that extort this law a bit more agressively as they have done in the past. But hey - they can't enforce this on every single smoker either holidaymaker or local and we will enjoy our ciggies on the Beach, Hotel and after dinner in the restaurant or with a bevvie - something we have been deprived of doing back in the UK :cheers
Anyone know what the 'correct' fine is. I do like the occassional ciggy with a drink. Just in case anyone trys to extort some ludicrous amount of RS from me.
I'm a smoker as well, but this time the ban WILL be enforced speaking to quiet a few of the bars and restaurants, this time they will have no choice but to abide by the law.It is a national thing ,not local,but the majority will have seperate smoking areas and you can still smoke on the beach.So not all bad.

John
Does Goa airport still have it's smoking room?
I hope the Airport does, it keep OH sane will waiting for our flight :)
The smoking room was still there went i went through a couple of weeks ago.Apparently it has not been totaly banned at airports.

John
Thats great news thankyou jcbrum i'm sure OH will be delighted. :tup
Goa has had the No Smoking ban for years as the other post states, but you were banned from smoking in the streets technically and in bars/shacks if the owner did not have a no smoking sign up he would get fined as well. I do know people who have been fined in panjim/calangute outside the snow inn.
The paper states today the only places you will be allowed to smoke is at home and on the street, not a bus stop !!! park or recreation ground and im really not to sure about the beach to be honest, may have to go into the water for a quick puff :rofl which makes a farce of the original goan ban, anyone caught with ashtrays,lighters or matches in their bars/rests/shacks will be fined and the smoker too if caught. places with over 30 rooms, rests with sitting for over 30 people have to have smoking areas or rooms.
As we have said before it will be hard to implement it but i bet the police will give it a good old shot if it means extra rupees in their back pockets if you get caught ask for a receipt than they have to declare it.
Hi fran its Pat. can you remember when Scottish Frank was in Mapsa and they caught him for smoking on the street and he said ........ Hold on minute, they asked why ? he said cause i am having another cigarette so you better double the fine !
Thank goodness it's to enforced at last.
I was in a restaurant in Margao where there were large signs saying NO SMOKING, I saw a group of men smoking and asked what the situation was. They said 'we're from Mumbai, ignore the signs'.
They ignore all signs, including road signs!.. One more won't hurt :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.