Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
2 days into the smoking ban and nothing has changed, except the ashtrays are now candle holders. :rofl

The café owners with 30 or more seats can have designated smoking areas, whereas before the whole seating areas was non smoking.

I don't know if is true but, I understand that too be find there has to be a police inspector present and there are only 3 in Goa. :que

lez
There is to be No Smoking in the airport according to yesterdays tv news - they said all areas of the airport will be smoke free. You can smoke in the street if it is not near a bus stop as bus stops are also classed as public places.
I am begining to think that these new laws may work after all ,for the smokers and the non smokers.
Although im sure everyone will interprete the laws differently to suit themselves. :think :)
We were out last night and the smoking ban is being enforced around here.Also the police arrived at around 2 a.m. to check,can't be sure if it was for the ban or not.

John
Alex Sequueira is the only member of the Goa Cabinet who smokes and he is quoted in the newspaper as saying that whenever he wants to smoke he will switch on a red light outside his chamber so that nobody can catch him smoking. That's one way of interpreting the law.
narial wrote:
Alex Sequueira is the only member of the Goa Cabinet who smokes and he is quoted in the newspaper as saying that whenever he wants to smoke he will switch on a red light outside his chamber so that nobody can catch him smoking. That's one way of interpreting the law.

I know just where to buy them Red lights :rofl
Hi all
When we went to Menorca in July they had a no smoking ban
in the the the hotel
.It was ok because we could smoke on the veranda
and on the terraces and round the pool
As long as you were sitting outside it was ok
hope it is simillar in Goa
Pat :cheers
We've been going to Goa for the past 11 years and although this ban has been in force several years now we are looking forward to this being enforced. When having meals at night or in the beach shacks its not very nice when you have to put up with the smell of nicotine spoiling your food. We have even set off at night to eat in certain restaurants and walked out because its too smokey. It will be nice to lay on the beach without the smell of cigs or having to walk in used cigarette ends.
I smoke, I 100% agree with a ban on smoking in restaurants, I don't like stale smoke wafting over when I am eating either. However I do like a ciggie with a drink and the occasional one when lying in the sun on a beach bed - I honestly can't see the problem with smoking outdoors. If people next to me were so adverse to my having a cigarette then I would just move - live and let live, if the smokers won't move then just get another bed is no big deal
1 comment in today's paper was that they would not be suprised if the shack owners put all the tables and chairs on the beach along with the beach beds and other beach furniture so that tourist can smoke where they want but nobody will be able to walk between Baga and Sinquerim.
We are smokers and dont agree with the 100% ban in all restaurants.Ok in smallish enclosed ones,but
theres many that are mostly outside just as the shacks are,and dont see a problem with those.
We are not great drinkers and see no difference in us having a meal and cigarette ,and the table next to us sitting there drinking themselves silly and making fools of themselves swearing and shouting ect.
As Narial said Live and let live,you never know,they maybe banning drinking next :que :rofl
:yikes :yikes Please dont say that split they maybe banning drinking next if they do im not going back :rofl :rofl colleen
I for one was really happy when i saw that smoking room in the airport in Goa, as my OH is ready to kill :yikes if he has to wait for hours and hours for a cigarete, will just have to spend more time in the duty free on my own :rofl dont think i will tell him about the no smoking ban at the airport.You know what they say what you dont know wont harm you. :D
i don't agree with a blanket smoking ban!!!!!! and wait for it----- i haven't smoked for 3 years!!! i'd rather people didn't smoke in restraunts, :smokin but anywhere else, especially outdoors is perfectly OK with me. :smokin
i think its a bit late in the day for governments who are perfectly willing to take the taxes from tobacco, to come down on smokers and make life really difficult for them. :smokin
and no, i don't intend taking it up again!!!! :cheers :bow
Can't really see much change. The police will pick an area and target it once a month (if that) and extract a few thousand rupees from 20 or so tourists on the spot when it is really busy.

That's what has happened in the past at Baga.

Designated smoking areas sounds OK.

I used to smoke here in the UK and like to strike up an occasional cig' with a brandy when in Goa... particularly like packets of 10 Navy Cut and Gold Flake.
It seems to be a 200 rupe fine for smoking in public at the moment but they are thinking of raising this to 1000 rupes if there is non compliance.
Billyb ,, check the link on the second post sown. One senior guy is trying for a 5000 rps fine :yikes
Hi all :wave: has anyone heard how the smoking ban is procceeding
are they implementing it
Pat :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.