EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Its really not so bad driving over here. Many hire companies also offer delivery and collection services to the varying airports at no extra charge - so your guests at your villa will have a choice. Good luck hope all goes well with your trip
We travel to Turkey a lot and we drive everywhere, we just wouldnt be without a hire car, you get to see so much more and set your own agenda and not be herded around.

In the last six months we have probably drive over 10,000 km in Turkey. The only place I hate driving - central Izmir - it scares me to death, it feels like you will never find a way to change lanes!

Other than that it's really cool. Turks are defensive drivers, they toot the horn to let you know they are going to overtake because they don't assume you are using your mirror and they tend to be a bit impatient at traffic lights but so long as you keep your wits about you it's okay.

Road maps do tend to be pretty useless so I would advise people to try and get a good map and know where they plan to go before they pick up the car. Hire cars don't generally come with any local road maps in them.

Both Izmir and Bodrum airports are outside of the towns and on good roads and are easy to navigate from and too. From Izmir there is a toll road down towards Altinkum and this is very cheap, an excellent road and quieter than the normal road and worth using as you get used to the hire car.

There are loads of hire companies and the rates are very competive and in usual Turkish fashion they will accommodate your needs and drop a car off either at the airport or villa or anywhere you like.

If you are travelling off season and have a daytime flight then just pick up a car at the airport rather than pre-booking, the rates are much lower.

I encourage people to hire cars and really see Turkey. The dolmus is okay for popping to town and to the beach but to discover this amazingly beautiful country I would always hire a car. We have seen so many amazing sights in the last few months, such wonderful scenery we would never had seen otherwise.

K
we always use Lovetours based in Altinkum to get from bodrum to altinkum. the price last sept was ten pounds. i personally would not drive a car. the drivers go too fast and whilst in altinkum you will not need a car. the water park is only a dolmush away which is so cheap. dont use taxis as they are expensive. you can virtually hail a dolmush as it passes and stop it wherever you want to get off.

lovetours do excursions to a lot of places and are a good company. if a lot of people are being picked up at the airport there will be a coach but if there are only two of three people a car picks you up. many people do transfers, even some air companies.occasionally we get a deal with our flight tickets depending who the carrier is.

you will love altinkum. the beaches are superb and the sea is crystal clear and is shallow for a long way out, so perfect for toddlers and youngsters.there are three large supermarkets that are walkable in altinkum/didim. they sell everything virtually that we have back home. eating out is usual fare that resorts do, english stuff. if you want to eat turkish and english cheaper than on the front go to didim, fiveminutes on a dolmush or twenty mins walking. a lot of places give you their cards and if you phone them to book a table, they will pick you up in a taxi and bring you home again afterwards free.

the people in the resort are friendly and love children. go to didim on saturday for the market. it is massive and you can barter for tea shirts etc. it will be red hot in july so beware. august is when the turkish people have their holidays and they come to altinkum for their holidays.it gets packed,.
i have bought in altinkum and have done just what you are about to do i always hire a car from bodrum airport drove from bodrum and izmir about 1hour 15mins bodrum and 1hour 3/4 izmir the drive is straight foward just follow the signs i bought a road map in manchester airport for turkey which comes in really handy the best price i have seen for a car hire this year is from economy car rental .com the people i use for airport runs charge between £35-£40 each way i think that is the going rate i too used to holiday in icmeler and would love to have bought there but prices in altinkum are so much lower i bought in a complex with a pool which is looked after all year round (less worries). if you need any advice regarding buying just contact me.enjoy your experience.
Have only just seen your replies, but wanted to say thanks guys! much appreciated xx

btw...am going to brave driving..have to give it a shot at least! think i will be ok, but only worry now is the traffic light things they have hanging above crossroads flashing...remember seeing them as my friend drove...he seemed to slow down and shoot off, didn't make sense what they were for?!!!! are they just warnings about the crossroads?

Thanks! xx
Hi .. I have bought a place in Altinkum.. and I usually get Love tours( local minibus) to pick us up and drop us off both ways... costs about £10 per person each way... they have never let me down yet
For altinkum if you fly bt Thomson to Bodrum they include a bus to the centre of Altinkum which costs £15/person. You then find your own way to your accomodation.
If you have a larger party then this is not economic. You can hire a car but I like many others dislike driving when on holiday. If you go to google and type in altinkum travel agents you find travel agents e mail addresses. You can then e mail and ask for quotations for airport transfer. Then you can arrange for your party to be picked up.
Another tactic is to make friends with a local taxi driver. This is easy as they like regular work and will offer you good rates for transfer if they know they are going to get the work.
Brave people can use the service buses from Milas Otogar; these are incredibly cheap and quite luxurious but I would not recommend this if you are inexperienced and do not have at least basic Turkish as all your instructions are on the ticket in Turkish.
Thanks for the tips guys.
£10 or £15 each way sounds reasonable enough. will look at thomson and love tours (I think thats the right name?).

am trying to learn basic turkish...can order a kebab and a beer but I think the complex tickets may have to wait a while yet....lol

thanks again! xxx :D
merhaba Kate!!!
fancy seeing you here .............you and your beer and kebab you do make me laugh but hey at least I wont have to worry about you going hungry or thirsty ha ha ha!!

speak soon............Tina X
We have just bought in Altinkum and the above has answered lots of our questions. Thanks.
Any tips about owning in Altinkum and possibly renting out would be gratefully received. Also what is the best way to get there in the winter?
Thanks
hi all.
we have just started the process of buying a appartment in altinkum.
unfortunatly i have never been there ,friends say its great.
the appartment is near the appollo temple .is this along way out of resort?
seems a long way from the 3 beaches but says 800meters to nearest beach ( not 1st 2nd 3rd).
help.
steve
Hi,
has anybody had any dealings with apollo village in altinkum, or the builder MNA Construction as we are looking at buying on this complex would be greatful for any advice that they can give.
thanks.
if you have bought near the appollo temple it is quite far from the main resort of altinkum. the beach you will possibly walk to is not one of the main three beaches in altinkum. in the main bay there are two beaches, one and two, the third beach is round the headland. you possibly are within walking distance to a beach which is smaller. no doubt in the future i think all the resort will become one. altinkum is on the front and at the back of it (20min walk up) is the old town of didim. from didim you would have another walk of 20min to get to the appollo temple. at the side of didim and sweeping down to altinkum is proposals for a golf course and out that way too is the water park, and originally round the headland there was going to be a new marina. i dont know if both plans are on hold at the moment.

you can get a dolmush (mini bus) very very regular to altinkum from the appollo and didim . they are like taxis and you can flag them down anywhere. it is very cheap. taxis are very expensive.

other than attending a public meeting to meet the mayor of didim at a bar opposite the appollo temple i cant tell you much about the area round about.

a lot of building work is still going on in altinkum, didim and beyond so theres no doubt there will be beach areas along the coastline.
Taxman01.
i too am buying into the appollon holiday village complex.
we should get our heads together and share info.
i have pm'd you.
steve
swbono

i have sent you a pm

steve
swbono

sent another- its very rushed sorry, but on my way to catch a plane :fly

hope you get this one will be in touch again

good luck with yours :gluck
Hi,

We spent four days with four different agents before we made up our minds - we saw 40 properties!!

I eventually bought a villa in Yesilkent (Aegean Pines Village) that was built by Ahmet Kurtel who is also the builder of Apollo Village - we are very pleased with it and Ahmet is the nicest guy ever. He even took us around to buy furnishings so we wouldnt get ripped off!

We also looked at Apollo with him - deal with him direct and cut out the 3% agents fee - if you want his details please PM me. We are still considering buying on Apollo to rent out - the off plan prices are good and the facilities are also great.

Im off out again in three days for a week so let me know before then and I will pass on your details if you wish.

Joolz :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.