Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Try the Chick'n Fish in Calangute, right next door to the Plantain Leaf.We found it many years ago as it was just a bar then. Over the last few years Rocky the owner has made lots of improvements and its always full of locals and lately tourists.
We find the food excellent and he also does takeaways.He showed me and my wife the kitchen upstairs and it was immaculate.Tandoori is excellent.
Give it a try and its cheap.We sit there most nights and watch the world go bye.
I'll bet a lot of longstayers would be reluctant to give recommendations on a forum as they would be scared it would then be inundated with tourists and change.
You are likely right there Fiona. One of our long stay friends introduced us to' Taste of India', its right next door to the Old Newtons supermarket. Lots of locals use it and the food is excellent.

That's our first port of call when we arrive in January.
You would think Taste of India would be a touristy one- by the name. We don't go till April so please let me know if its still good :)
;) will have to contact our friend Zeb....we ate in fantastic cheap local place to him in Panjim. We'd got the ferry across to 'his' island ..the bird sanctuary...to visit his family - three on a motorbike ride there and back to free ferry and once back in Panjim ate at this brilliant place with a couple of his neighbours...albeit we were in underground car park eating next to a car :rofl I'll get the name and post back. SOOOOO cheap...something like a fiver for all of us!
Florentines in Saligao - a few miles from Candolim. This is the place to try chicken cafreal. It is "famous" for this hot chicken, full of locals when I went many moons ago. It was still going in Dec 2006.
Our Taxi driver took us to somewhere called Rita's, in the middle of nowhere, somewhere near Coco Beach, it was like sitting in someone's garden, no menu's, just discussed what we fancied with the waiter, food was fantactic and so cheap it was ridiculous, definately going back this year.
Florentines is still going strong! (Feb 2012) Still busy with locals and whilst the decor is not worth mentioning the food was fantastic!
we will tell you when you get here Fiona
Any thoughts on Starlight in Arpora. We ate there in 2009 and the food was lovely although the decor and clenliness were a little suspect. I asked for the balchoa....I can still feel the heat!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.