Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Theres a place on Baga road facing park avenue hotel, you can see them making your noodles in a big wok right in front of you, and they have a couple of tables and chairs. If you order a beer they go next door to a little shop and bring you a beer.
Snow Inn, Candolim

Pretty apt name for a local eating place, but it does the best chicken dupiaza that I have ever eaten.Its clean and its so so cheap.

Its situated just past the football field in Candolim,on the opposite side before the market and the road junction, when travelling from Calungute. Its upstairs and I'm sure theres a sign outside.

Excellent family run place or it was when I was in last year.Recommended by lots of our longstay friends.
We have used the snow inn a few times never had a meal in there though..
theres also anans in calangute, from the beach walk up the main street to the top,the road goes left to mapsa and right to candolim, anans it straight in front of you,, locals use this, they have a lady doing the cooking and you can see the kitchen too,albeit through a small hatch,but very nice food and very cheap, we got 2 meals with water for £1.20
Florentines in Saligao - a few miles from Candolim. This is the place to try chicken cafreal.
Krishna on the Baga road opposite the Tibetan market is very cheap and a lot of the locals eat there .Its open till 5am . Vegetable curry is about 40rs.I usually see the shack lads eating there .
so is chopsticks opposite cafe days top of baga road!! ;) yes agree florentines is lush Trevor!! ;)
chilly
In theory, if a lot of tourists eat in places usually frequented by locals, won't the restaurant owners put up their prices thereby putting off the locals?
yes sometimes!! :D but more often they just get packed and you cant get a seat!! :rofl it happens so much
chilly
Florentines has been on my list of places to go for a couple of years now, but ive still never managed to get there :duh (I think someone told me the toilets are revolting and it put me off a bit :rofl )
I see Krishanas has now been mentioned twice on this post ( Opposite Park Avenue on Baga Road near Tibetan Market.) We have also eaten here a couple of times or gone for a late night drink. We normally have Noodles, Soup , Garlic Naan etc. They also do Tandoori Chicken, but seen as I don't eat chicken, I have never tried it. The place stays open into the early hours of the morning, and we have normally gone here for the last drink and a snack. I didn't realise one night that it was 3.30am when we were in here. Luckily we only had to stagger across the road to get to the hotel.
The customers tend to be taxi drivers, and shack/bar/restaurant staff who have just finished work.
The place looks a bit grotty, but at least the toilets are clean and you can see them cooking.

Similar eateries is Glenns Tandoori Chicken (Next to Park Avenue/opposite Krishna) and Chopsticks further up Baga Road.

Also, has anyone ever eaten at the North Indian / Punjabi eateries on the Calangute Steps Beach Road (near the Statue Roundabout). These always seem popular with the Indian Tourists.

x
Lisa an Garry
yes whizzylizzy we have eaten in all the ones there and all good and the outside bell puri stalls :yikes but we love it... and probably our stomachs are tough nby now!! (to eat at the stalls I mean!!)
chilly
They all sound great, as anyone got any good places to eat in the south. :cheers
"North Indian / Punjabi eateries on the Calangute Steps Beach Road (near the Statue Roundabout" yes i have eaten there but still prefer Krishna. No i dont think they put up their prices because tourists go in there cause it is open all year round they have to keep prices low to keep locals . I know a waiter told me that the guy that owns it who lives at the back of the restaurant has all the profit from the drinks bill,whoever is running it only gets profit from the food .Not many places still open as late as Krishna which is handy if you have been in to Shamrock bar where we all swear they do "something" with time cause we stagger out much later than we all thought it was .
If anyone likes mo-mos with soup and a dip, go to the calangute social club tibetan market on the corner first building on your left as you go down baga road, just before chapel/infanteria take a container and have the best and cheapest mo-mos in town (all the tibetans go there)
Also there is a mobile eating place in the field by the junction of saligoa/panjim/ calangute just before the saligoa church stays open really late but take your own drinks. all the bar/drivers use it.also Hakkafoochow next to snow inn.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.