Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
The Plantain Leaf (vegetarian) in Calangute near the Redonda.

Favourite dish - Dosa Masala.
thanks will definately try the plantain leaf i love masala dosa but you cant get them much in the south
I second that Dosa masala at the plantain leaf superb. Lots of lovely veg food there.
Also Anita, whilst shopping one evening in Calangute by the Plaantain leaf there was about half a dozen barrows just up the road on a bit of dirt ground selling food and sugarcane drinks. its all veg food and we tried something which I couldnt tell you what it was called but I will describe what we had. It was puff balls with holes in and they put chick peas and herbs and salad over the top and then poured a sauce over it. It was very nice and only 10 rupees each. We only tried the once but will definately go back to try the others.
regards
Martins Corner at Betalbatim in the south is popular with the locals.

In Margao I like Longuinhos for the atmosphere of a bygone era, Venice for the garden, and Bombay Cafe for the vegetarian food

In Panjim I go to Sher-e-Punjab for butter chicken, Ritz Classic for the fish platter, it's huge, or fish curry and rice, and Aunty Betty's at the Fidalgo hotel for a mango lassi. The Kamat hotel is a good veg restaurant.

All have mainly locals dining
There is this place called Archies on the Margao Ponda highway about six kilometers outside Margao on the left side of the road..its a small family run restaurant in the owners house... low on ambience but the food is really authentic and so tasty that many of their customers are the Goans living in the area ..my fav dish? the squid masala..cant get enough of it..
I haven't seen any non Goans let alone westerners in the four times that i have been there, so the prices are also local. :)

Cheers
Bagaddict - Is this the one you mean ? It looks good , another new place for me to try. Thanks lassi

http://archie.regnex.com
By and large, the places where the locals eat are located away from the beach roads, you have to go inland, preferably towards Panjim. For example:
Florentine, Saligao for chicken cafrael
Ritz Classic, Panjim for seafood platter
Club National and Club Vasco De Gama, Panjim for sausage pao, sorpotel, feguad (pork & beans)
Kinara, Chimbel for fish
Navtara, Panjim & Mapusa, for thali

Sorry, no detailed directions - if too many of us "outsiders" find these places, the prices go up!
Ginlizzy - The food you had was probably in a Gap chup Stall, its also called Pani Puri stall, its small round puris that are filled with tamarind water (with a bit of mint, black pepper etc) and fill it with chick peas and some kind of sweet sauce... they also add veg samosa into the mixture if you want...
For breakfast Tato's in Margao
Spices on the road between CJM and Carmona. Great chilly fries.

Mandovi Hotel good for authentic Goan and Goan/Portugese dishes.
Also a great place to watch the Carnival from
For real gorgeous authentic Goan food try Bhatia Bar in Nerul Village....best food I have ever ever tasted :D It is very very popular with local villagers and tourists alike, but not very big so you have to get there early.
regards
Indiapurple
wow so many replies i will print this off and try as many as poss we have tried the puris from the stalls there is one that parks up near where we stay and the local bar we go in lets us take them in to eat with our kingfisher also thirdstage we stay on the road from the CJM to Carmona and do go in spices your absolutely right the chilly fries are excellent we also go in languinos and venice both regular haunts when we are shopping in margoa , dont know bombay cafe or tatos but will find them thanks :D
a couple of places we go to in the south are
the travellers in tamborim / carmona ( thirdstage if you know spices you praobably know travellers )
excellent fresh fish every day served with richado massala well recomended
and the road shade which is a small family run place on the main road form margao to cavelosim on the carmona stretch
both places have a very popular take away service locals come and go all the time collecting orders
florentines - saligao
plantain leaf - calangute
souzo lobo's - calangute
viva goa - candolim to calangute road
vihar - panjim (near the post office)

misterc.
There are two fast food shacks on the Baga to Calangute rd, right next to each other. Popular with the locals, and the best tandoori chicken I've ever tasted
Amigos, just under the Nerul bridge. Freshest seafood ever 8)
Hi lassigirl, thats the one..
Sagor in Vagator, end of the road from Scarlets turn right and its on the left, bhaji breakfast for about 20 rupees, always fulll of locals.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.