EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
English Will
6 Posts
It is but it would have to be translated into Spanish by a bilingual notary public and sent to a lawyer in Spain to be administered which would probably work out far more expensive than doing a Spanish will in the first palce.
Thanks Beachcomber for the information.
Mmm ........... touchy subject this! When we moved to France our son was under 18 (10 even!) and when we discussed the matter of our English wills with the notaire (a separate session after our house purchase), he told us that our English wills would be challenged by the French state IF we died before he was 18 .... ie he could not be discharged into the legal care of his paternal grandparents, but that the French state would appoint a legal guardian for him to look after him and his interests until he became 18.

Luckily we've got through that period unscathed, but I'm not sure that our wills would be straightforward because French law has precendents about house ownership and rights of succession ..... the surviving partner has life-time right of residence, but the property passes to be divided equally amongst the children! Going to cross that bridge when we get there - not for ages we hope, and could well be living elsewhere at the time ....

TAKE PROFESSIONAL ADVICE - but what a sensible question. I bet many expats haven't taken this on board!
It's imperative that if you live in Spain, you get a Spanish will. If not and your spouse dies, you will be landed with many thousands of pounds of extra taxes which you wouldn't pay otherwise.
It's imperative that if you live in Spain, you get a Spanish will. If not and your spouse dies, you will be landed with many thousands of pounds of extra taxes which you wouldn't pay otherwise.

Why do you say this and can you give me further information please even if you have to email or PM it to me.

I have Spanish residency so will that make a difference with a propper photo ID card plus my wife is Spanish anyway with a full DNE and passport etc.

regards
a1gjv
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.