Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
There is a restaurant attached to the Oriental Hotel called The China House, it is literally a separate little house with a fantastic chinese restaurant, it looked very smart and we thought it would be very expensive but it turned out to be reasonably priced with great food and fantastic service, definitely worth a try.
Hi Jackie
Havent seen that one mentioned before. Thanks!
Couple of ideas for anyone feeling adventourous. Not specific places but restaurant areas of Bkk. These are where the Thai middle classes will go out to eat after work or at the weekend with the family.

In the city centre go to the area near Soi 15-17 Narathiwatrachanakarin Road ( This road is often called 'New Sathorn' as it's pretty unpronouncable for non-Thais)

If you look on a map of Bkk this is the street that runs at 90 degrees to Silom and Sathorn . It starts at Silom and cuts across Sathorn and then heads east. A 10 minute walk from Sathorn will bring you tothe first of the restaurants by the road. If you search around the small ide streets you'll find some very nice small restaurants in converted houses. Most are owned by young Thais and so come in a variety of trendy styles. 'Monkey Shock' was the first in the area and now has three separate branches all within 5 minutes walk of each other.

Out of the city centre you could try grabbing a taxi and heading up to Nawamin Rd / Ram Intra Expressway- to the north east of the city centre. This is where you'll find huge restaurants most made entirely of wood - 'Koh Lanta' is like nothing you'll have seen before, a huge teak wood restaurant seating hundreds. Some restuarants are themed, others are for the yuppie criwd, some are owned by Thai pop stars etc, but there are at least 20 beautiful restaurants all within a mile radius. The clientel is 95% Thai, but most restaurants have bilingual menus. Thai office workers will have been to this area at one time or another - if you ask senior Thai staff at your hotel for a recommendation or two they should be able to help out.

Other than that see Dining in Thailand.com for loads of restaurant reviews[/url]
We are going on Manhora dinner cruise, bedsupper club and 3rd night was probably Harmonique or Baan Kanitha but Macfarang has just made me think again.
Manhora - classy Thai food aboard a rice barge, Baan Khanitta - the same but on land but Bed Supper Club is a totally different type opf night out. It's the place where Bangkok's yuppies hang out, expect to see hoardes of beautiful 20 something rich kids and a carpark full of Mercedes.

If you aren't into hanging out with the hip, arty, wealthy set in the UK then it isnt the best place if you're just looking for a meal.

Also take a look at the restaurants alond Soi Langsuan, this street conencts the north side of Lumpini park to Ploenchit Rd, near the British Embassy. It's another road that's lined with restaurants, many with pretty good live bands, again not many tourists there, but good food, good prices, friendly people and not overly pretentious - unlike Bed Supper Club / Q Bar etc
Macfarang
exactly the type of info I wanted. I really don't fancy the Bed Supper Club but husband may want to give it a go. The one thing about Bangkok is you really can't just wander out of your hotel and go looking for a restaurant- knowing which districts to go to makes all the difference.I will have a print out of this thread when we go!
My fave is the Erawan Tea Room, inside one of the large shopping centres on Ploenchit road.

This place is beautiful, the staff are very friendly and the food is divine.
Hi Mac, just having a laugh at the Bangkok yuppies and hordes of beautiful 20 somethings - we'll probably stick out like sore thumbs considering we're late 50's and definitely not yuppy type. People on Fodors site seem to rave about bed supper- we'll see when we get there. Got a printout of your recommendations to take with us - thanks
Have done the Manohra Dinner cruise a few times. Also had a fun meal at the Seafood Market where you go round picking your meal with a supermarket trolley, before the cooks prepare the meal to your requirements.

My partner insists we go to Trader Vics whenever we go to Bangkok, its become a bit of a ritual.
Some of the best food I've has has been from street vendors. These grilled chicken kebabs are superb.
OAP - Bed Supper Club is a good place, but take a look at http://www.bedsupperclub.com to see what to expect.

For anyone relying on an old guidebook for restaurant reviews, leave it at home. The best source of restaurant news / reviews is in 'Bangkok Metro' magazine or 'Untamed Travel' magazine, both published monthly in Bangkok and containing listings of good restaurants and bars throughout the city. Both far more up to date than guidebooks. Untamed Travel also has listings pages of accommodation and recomended eateries covering the main tourist areas of Thailand plus Cambodia, Laos, Singapore & Hong Kong.

You'll be able to pick up one or both of these mags in your hotel or at any city centre bookshop for 120 baht.
We ate in the Mango Tree which is not too far from Patpong. I can recommend the curry that comes in a pineapple boat, best ruby murray I've ever tasted. Also ate at the Gallery Cafe, which is just around the corner from The Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel.
Also ate at The Hard Rock Cafe (I know this is not why you'd go to Bangkok, but it's a little thing the other half has, she's visits them everywhere she can!)
The Cabbage and Condom was recommended by numerous people, but we never had time. Maybe next time......

Maybe next time......

Another Bangkok convert!!
I fly out on thursday and this thread is coming with me!

Cheers
great stuff Martin!
We expect you to add to it when you come back!
have a great holiday.
The Indian restaurant in The Rembrandt Hotel and The restaurant in the Sofitel Silom Hotel ( 38th floor I think). Great food in both and superb views over Bangkok at night - highly recommended.
can anyone else add to this?
A couple of others for you to try - not mentioned here and well worth a look. These were both recommended to me and are unlikely to be found if you just wandering around looking for a restaurant

1 - Suda - Sukhumvit Soi 14. Looks ordinary (read very downmarket) from outside. Very, very good Thai cuisine, very inexpensive - an excellent place. It is very popular with Thai people and looks as though it will be a difficult experience - don't be put off, the owner will help you through the menu (with a great big smile) and you will be well rewarded. Picture http://www.ingrids-welt.de/reise/thai/allho4.jpg
My wife and I will be back there on Thursday or Saturday!

2. Le Delat Indochine - Sukhumvit Soi 23. If you are looking for a special evening and enjoy a Vietnamese twist - this could fit the bill. A not inexpensive experience, but good food and wine! Booking advisable.

Bon appetit

Peter
Both very handy to where we are staying! And as we will just have come from Vietnam I would imagine the second one would be on our "must tries!"
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.